walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Merry day in Angus

Merry day in Angus

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 708m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was quite nervous about this walk as it was my first solo. I’m still very new to all this walking malarkey (I usually run for exercise) and the thought of traipsing the hills on my tod was daunting. I mean, who knows what weird peeps you might come across when you’re a female on your lonesome in the middle of nowhere?

Tried to get my son to come along; used all the usual bribes and threats but to no avail. He had his X-box and no amount of bribery was gonna tear him away from his beloved zombie massacre. So I grabbed the dog instead.

Took about an hour to reach Invermark and there were loads of others gathering for their walk. I could tell they were highly relieved when they realised that me and Mez (dog face) were not part of their group as Mez was yapping wildly out of the back window, at the anticipation of a walk. Donned my gear then pretended to look experienced whilst looking at the map, ignoring the fact Mez was still yapping and leaping about the car from seat to seat like some sort of demented rabid hound of the Baskervilles!!

So, with Mez on her extendable lead, and me carrying a ruck sack that felt like all but the kitchen sink was in it, we got on our way and headed off to Mount Keen. The weather was warm, dry and clear and with no one in sight. I let Mez off to explore whilst I took in the scenery thinking how brave I was.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

The road was rocky and there were some watery bits to cross over to which I just had to grit my teeth and leap-frog across. So glad no humans were around to hear me as I gave myself a ‘woo-hoo’ every time I got across without drenching myself. A couple of guys passed as they were heading up on their bikes. They looked tired as they scrambled along trying not to hit the boulders in the way. I was just about to say to one of them “you must have balls of steel to ride up here” when I happened to look at the 2nd guy and saw the grimacing, pained expression on his face. (Keep your mouth shut Jac, I thought).

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

It was a long slog up to the summit and I was sweating buckets by the time I got there. Mez wasn’t impressed though. She decided that chasing birds around the cairn, then coming back to me like a slinky whilst chomping something that resembled a rabbit’s leg, was rather more her cup of tea.

PICT0012.JPG

Still, I was in awe of the views from Keen. I could see for miles and miles and it was a while before I realised that I’d better put some clothes on before I freeze to death. By clothes, I mean my coat, gloves and woolly hat. I sat for about 15 minutes staring out at yonder as I shared my ham butties with Mez. We were completely alone with the rocks and the wind. I knew others were on their way as we had passed them on the way up. But for a short time, it was just me and my dog. I really wanted a picky of myself at the trig but Mez still hasn’t got the hang of the camera (claws must be too long or something).

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0015.JPG

PICT0016.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

After breathing in the views, I realised I had gotten quite cold so, after tearing myself from the quiet, we started to head back down. Although the road back felt like it was twice as long, I was rewarded with even more beautiful views down along the valley.

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0028.JPG

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0034.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

I stopped about half way to dig out my extra fluffy socks as my feet were sore. This gave Mez the idea that to run off with the socks was a great game. She eventually dropped them in the river when she went for a swim so god knows where they’ve ended up now. It took about 2.5 hours to get back to the car and as it had now gotten so hot I thought it might be wise to take off the woolly hat. (Wondered why I had gotten a few strange looks from the odd passer-by!!). The legs groaned at having to carry on working for the hour’s drive back home but Mez, very selfishly, slept the whole way.

I loved Mount Keen. I found the path not be the most easiest to walk along though, with its rocky bits and how it has scarred the side of the mountain but no one can take away the gorgeous views that you get all along your travels and at the top. It will be a great memory for me to have and knowing that I can do such a walk alone, or with Mez by my side (when she isn’t galloping around chasing birds and chomping on ‘things’) is a real confidence booster.

I am aching today as I ain’t exactly hill-fit yet. But the yapper was ready for more adventures this morning when I dragged my poor carcass out of my pit. I was very lucky to have the weather in my favour and it made the whole 5 hour walk so much more pleasurable.

The pictures don’t do justice but I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Happy hills x
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Merry day in Angus

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 am

Great report merry walker and great pics - sounding very experienced already- well done indeed for a solo effort - I know how nervous early solo hills can make us.
good choice of long walk for one of the starters - I approached from the Glen Tanar end, and the hillside was even more scarred by a pink bulldozer track (the track was pink, not the bulldozer :? )
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 am

Damn Scotjamie! You've spoilt my nice image of a fluffy pink bulldozer now! :lol:

Don't worry about walking alone in the hills from a weirdos point of view - you only meet the nicest people on hills! I always stop and have a chat with anyone willing when I'm out (alone or otherwise).

I did that walk from Ballater through to Glen Mark 'cos my parents were picking me up at the other end after dropping me off at Ballater - very good of them :D I loved the whole walk and prefer even a bulldozed track to none at all (being an Englander - we're used to nice tracks everywhere aiding our progress!). I just love the Queens Well - it's such a beautiful monument :D
mountain coward

Postby MarkD » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:22 am

Great report. Know what you mean about going solo on the hills though. But it is such a rewarding experience as you can do your own thing as it were. Compoany of course can be just be as good, great walk for a confidence boost.
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:37 am

Cheers guys, I'd like to do the Glen Tanar route next time I visit Keen, might take the 'teeth' again, best walk she ever got lol
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby BethAtTheHug » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Well done for getting out! I love walking on my own, although I do get the odd jitters occasionally for no reason what so ever. You're more likely to come across weirdos and nae-do-wells in the town centre than out in the hills.
BethAtTheHug
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Great photos there, colours looking so vivid.

Agree with MC's comment on rather having a path than not. I prefer walking alone most of the time as I'm not a fast walker and I like to go at my own pace, and can collapse in a heap at times without getting embarrassed. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 pm

skuk007 wrote:
Agree with MC's comment on rather having a path than not. I prefer walking alone most of the time as I'm not a fast walker and I like to go at my own pace, and can collapse in a heap at times without getting embarrassed. :)

:lol: done that lots of times hahahar
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:06 pm

The thing I like about being on my own is being able to sing to myself, almost subconciously. I had to stop myself the other day after having gone through all the first 6 songs off Queen Greatest Hits 2 :lol: (obviously I have a much better voice than Freddie and can do the guitar parts as well).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:09 pm

I shall watch out for a crazed man strumming his air guitar, if I see him, I'll know its you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 pm

mount keen does get a bit of stick but i have to say, I think its a great hill and the views are excellent on a nice day.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland