walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Downloading maps

Downloading maps

Postby Stevie001 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi . I haven’t used in a while but I used to download maps from walkhighlands through ViewRanger . Can’t this be done now . Have they changed things . Thx
Stevie001
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:18
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:1

Re: Downloading maps

Postby sc00ba87 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:06 pm

I believe if you download the GPS Waypoints in the section highlighted in the photograph you should be able to upload them to ViewRanger but have to do it from within the app itself.

I have started doing this and using GPX Viewer, haven't had an issue yet. Hope this helps, best of luck.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210430-120341_Chrome.jpg
sc00ba87
Hill Bagger

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby Stevie001 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:45 pm

Thank you pal . Much appreciated. I will give this a try . Beats me why they have to keep changing things . I suppose there is some reason though . Thanks again
Stevie001
Munro compleatist

Postby Stevie001 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:54 pm

So I have to download it straight from the ViewRanger app you mean . As when I try to download it from walkhighlands nothing happens ?
Stevie001
Munro compleatist

Postby KatTai » Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 pm

It's because ViewRanger has merged with Outdoor Active and is no longer supporting paid-for downloads. You can download the GPS waypoints only from the website to use on Viewranger.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Stevie001 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Thank you very much for your help . I’ll keep trying it.
Stevie001
Munro compleatist

Postby SHARONC » Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 pm

For some reason this week, it will not allow me to download to Google earth, it's taking me to Google earth but no walk, actually doing the above one tomorrow.

Used it 2 weekends ago, needed due to low cloud over glenshee and was heading the wrong way.

Tried it on another device and its not working.
All help is appreciated.

Sharon x
SHARONC
Walker

Munros:76   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun May 02, 2021 9:11 am

Hi Sharon

Whilst there have been no changes to downloading files (it's something controlled by the device on which you download), Google Earth isn't an application you should use for navigating when out and about. It's only for online use (and doesn't have maps) - it needs a very high quality phone signal (4G these days) in order to function.

You need to know / learn how to navigate and read a map before heading for the hills.. You can also get a dedicated outdoors navigation app if you wish - one that works offline (one with proper maps is handy).
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby SHARONC » Sun May 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Hiya

I do have a map and compass and able to read maps which I learned in the military, but at this time the weather changed to the worse which was not forecasted as we couldn't see where we were going as there was no path visible, so having the map downloaded helped me to get back on the right way. So, I always want to have a GPS signal as a back up as you never know.

Unfortunately known in my group was able to download so used viewfinder instead.

Kind regards Sharon
SHARONC
Walker

Munros:76   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 am

A good GPS unit, or a "rugged" smartphone, pre-loaded and pre-tested with maps and routes, is highly reliable. The critical issue is to pre-load and pre-test. Anything can fail, in a gale that sheet of paper can be whipped from a hand in an instant. You can crack or lose a compass... as a couple of dozen Lost & Found in our own forum proves.

I have more faith in electronic navigation than some. They're good enough for ships, planes, and space craft, so I don't fully understand the scepticism for hill paths.

My warning was not about phones per se but a warning about an inadequate phones, hence my advice for a "rugged" phone (waterproof, dust proof, impact resistant, big battery) or a dedicated unit e.g. Garmin.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Islands:3

Postby Ianmckay66 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Having issues downloading GPX routes to OS maps. It's not letting me download file to Os maps.
Ianmckay66
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:30 pm

To get a Walkhighlands gpx route onto your ViewRanger map, download the file onto your phone, go into ViewRanger:

3 Dots (top right) > Import / Export > Import Externally > Select GPX File > Import GPX / LOC > Select Yes > Check Map it should now be there. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Ianmckay66 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:59 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:To get a Walkhighlands gpx route onto your ViewRanger map, download the file onto your phone, go into ViewRanger:

3 Dots (top right) > Import / Export > Import Externally > Select GPX File > Import GPX / LOC > Select Yes > Check Map it should now be there. 8)

It's OS app I am having difficulty in exporting maps from walkhighlands.
    Ianmckay66
    Walker

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:05 am

3 Dots (top right) > Import / Export > Import Externally > Select GPX File > Import GPX / LOC > Select Yes > Check Map it should now be there. 8)[/quote]

It's OS app I am having difficulty in exporting maps from walkhighlands.[/quote]

Perhaps it's just terminology, but have you tried "importing" to OS maps?

You export from Walkhighlands and IMPORT to receiving App.
    ScotFinn65
    Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
    Sub 2000:2   
    Islands:3
    Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:16 am

Marty_JG wrote:A good GPS unit, or a "rugged" smartphone, pre-loaded and pre-tested with maps and routes, is highly reliable. The critical issue is to pre-load and pre-test. Anything can fail, in a gale that sheet of paper can be whipped from a hand in an instant. You can crack or lose a compass... as a couple of dozen Lost & Found in our own forum proves.

I have more faith in electronic navigation than some. They're good enough for ships, planes, and space craft, so I don't fully understand the scepticism for hill paths.

You can get map folders that you can wear around your neck, and a compass can be fitted with string to wear arouind your neck, which greatly reduces the chance of losing it. As for electronic navigation, it is great when it works, a pain when it doesn't. The OS maps on my phone has a habit of occasionally refusing to render the map which makes it dangerous to rely on in poor weather.
    al78
    Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
    Donalds:1

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
    Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion