walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Culardoch (& beyond) by MTB

Culardoch (& beyond) by MTB

Postby Alastair S » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Culardoch

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 613m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20100912 - Culardoch only.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was actually part of a longer (50km, 1200m of ascent) MTB ride, so I've logged the Culardoch part as if it were a standalone bag of this Corbett but also included the whole 5.5hr ride for those who are interested...

So parked up on the A93 near the Garbh Allt Shiel suspension bridge as I intended to cross this and then back over the Invercauld bridge so as to avoid some of the A93 & to get a closer look of a bridge I've passed on many occasions. So I was a bit shocked to find that there was a locked gate on the road side of the bridge. I've not sure if this bridge is always locked or if this was just because the queenie was still up for [one of] her hols. If I didn't have my bike I would have been tempted to climb over as there were no dire keep out notices & it would not have been that difficult. Now I know I'll check next time I'm this was (& after queenie has gone home).

So after this minor setback back on the A93, right and past the Invercauld car park and then took the track north just before you get to Invercauld house. Through some pleasant mixed woodland (not too steep for my novice MTB skills) till you get out to more open country and a rougher road. For the last 300m to the heather research station I had to resort to pushing. But it had only taken me 1hr 25" to do the 11k to this point.

Lochnagar: the 21st highest Munro from the 21st highest Corbett (train-spotter or what :lol: )

Culardoch with the heather research station in the foreground

Another of Lochnagar with research station

After refreshment and some photos it was just 25min walk to the summit of (a fairly unimpressive) Culardoch. Wasn't expecting to see anyone around as it was only 10:30am but meet a pleasant chap descending. Turned out to be another MTBer - in fact he looked a lot like andrew11. Was it you Andrew?

View West from Culardoch Summit

Loch Builg from Culardoch

River & Glen Gairn with tors of Ben Avon just visible

Down the steep rocky path to the River Gairn without any mishap, then along the very muddy & bumpy track to Loch Builg. Had a bit of a poke about here, taking in the ruin of Lochbuilg lodge. Did think about heading further north along the side of Loch Builg but track become a muddy narrow path so headed down the glen to the rickety bridge I'd seen in malky's report from May. I was much taken with this bridge and even ventured across to take more photos. Was glad I didn't need to take the bike though :lol: Will probably post more photos once I've tarted them up.

rickety bridge #1

rickety bridge #2

The track got progressively better as did the bridges. Had the wind on my back now and was flying down a mostly excellent track, splashing spectacularly through several fords (even if I say so myself :D). Corndavon bothy looked all boarded up, while the supposedly ruined lodge of the same name was in fine nick.

Substantial bridge over River Gairn near Daldownie

Back onto the road for a quick blast down to Crathie, past the entrance to Balmoral with police outside, confirming suspicion that queenie was still at home. Had thought that if her royalness was not about I might be able to cut though the grounds but a polite enquiry to young constable sent me round the back. Once back track (& some fully metalled road) at Invergelder going was easy even as I was beginnnig to tire. But the highlight of the trip waited: the Falls of Garbh Allt. Not the hugest of falls - more a series of fairly modest ones, but in a lovely setting with a nice footbridge across. Took lots of photos and will definitely be back with my big camera & tripod. As with the rickety bridge will post more photos latter.

War memorial at Connachat Cottage

Falls of Garbh Allt

Then back to the car with a quick diversion to see the other side of the Garbh Allt Shiel suspension bridge. Did see a small party in the distance that included a fat corgi but didn't bother them :D

My complete route for the day:

20100912 [reduced].gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Flickr set over here (will add to over the next few days)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Culardoch (& beyond) by MTB

Postby kevsbald » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:06 pm

I like your route - saw the odd apparatus on the hill of Culardoch and wondered what it was.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 pm

I since found out from a colleague at work that the Garbh Allt Shiel suspension bridge is usually locked. I guess its to stop peeps parking on the main road beside it - which seems a shame as there is a large layby type car park about 500m away.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Great report from one of my all-time fave areas! Those falls look nice - I'll have to visit them next time and stop 'just' doing mountains and being boring! :D I thought at first the apparatus on the hill was some kind of solar power station... Glad to see there's another nutter out there who likes rickety bridges - Richard always thinks I'm nuts! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks - & yes, the falls are lovely & I'll be back with family fairly soon I would guess. And I'll also be monitoring the rickety bridge, but probably not that regularly :lol:. If it survived the winter we just had I guess there are still a few years left in it. BTW I've just add a few more photos the the Flickr set (link is at end of the main report).
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am

Great route - love this sort of thing. Good photos as well. There are a number of different routes you could do in this area on bike - think I'll be back at some point to look at some more of them.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland