walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stac Pollaidh

Stac Pollaidh

Postby nathan79 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 09/09/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The times, distance and ascent are just guesses. I didn't even bother summiting it. The day after doing Conival with Mountain Coward and Richard, should've been Ben More too but my cramp afflicted legs were siezing up and i regrettably elected to give the final stretch to the summit a miss.
So Stac Pollaidh was a gentle leg stretcher to try and loosen up my legs.

It was a relatively clear, calm day. Great i thought, until i stepped out of my car in the car park and the midgies welcomed me. I have to say i was quiite taken aback when i first saw it, it's a cracking looking hill.
DSCF2092.JPG
Stac Pollaidh from south east

I was surprised how good the path was, a bit overgrown which got me worried about ticks. Surprise surpise i had to remove one from my leg the following morning.

I took the right fork where the path splits, the midgie path apparently. It was fairly busy, i could see a guy heady for the rocky east face, and hoped that wasn't the path! Thankfully it wasn't.
DSCF2113.JPG
Stac Pollaidh east face

There was no let up from the midgies as i climbed higher. I spotted a herd of deer down below so tried to stop and get some pics, but they bloodsuckers swarmed on me. This was the one (and only) pic i managed to get before i started inhaling midgies and ran away.
DSCF2115.JPG

I continued up to the ridge, where i happily sat down, sipped coffee and took in the views. For a while at least, the midgies stayed away so i managed to grab a few snaps of the landscape.
DSCF2125.JPG
South of Stac Pollaidh

I couldn't sit there all day, had the Old Man of Stoer to visit too, so after neglecting to climb to the easily accessible summit, i headed down round the west side. Bit breezier round this way so at least the midgies left me alone.

So aside from the aching legs, midgies and the fact i can't tick this Graham off my list(boo hoo, i'm so annoyed i'll have to revisit it.....) it was a good day.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Stac Pollaidh

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 am

Love the last photo! We never made it to Stac Pollaidh - I always felt it was too windy for me to go wobbling along the ridge really... I was up Wyvis the day after Conival and BMA (on my own) and the next day Richard and I just decided to go for Cul Beag instead. Got great views of it from there though... Was nice meeting you and walking with you :D
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Yes, as very atmospheric last photo :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Jeannie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Lovely photos, shame you didn't get to the top. We met a family on the way up Cul Mor, when
we were descending who said they had done Stac Polly the day before and couldn't see anything at all!

At least you have some pics, despite the blasted midgies!!
Jeannie

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland