walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis IPA

Ben Nevis IPA

Postby ad10314 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1344m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 12th September, 2010

This was my 3rd Munro and I was delighted to be invited by the International Police Association (I.P.A.) to join them on conquering Britains highest peak.

It was dry and clear up to about 800 metres, the summit was engulfed in thick cloud .

On reaching the summit after 2 hrs 40 mins, I was surprised to see just how flat it was. I tried taking a photo at the top however, the driving rain made this virtually impossible.

I have never seen such a busy hill, there must have been about 250 - 300 people on the hill at the same time as me.

I have to say that after reading views from fellow walkers on this site, I was advised to take full waterproofs incl hat and gloves. I thought the gloves and hat suggestion were a bit over the top. How wrong was I, the gloves and hat were essential even in mid september whilst at the summit of the Ben.

Im glad that I've 'bagged' the 'Big Guy'. What a great day.

I will try to add some official I.P.A. photographs showing all the crowd who walked that day, when they are published

I
Attachments
101_9068.JPG
101_9087.JPG
101_9079.JPG
101_9070.JPG
ad10314
Munro compleatist

Re: Ben Nevis IPA

Postby Milesy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Congratulations! 8) 8) 8) It certainly gets fair busy all right. Need to get yourself back up in winter now.

Last time I was up there was 6 people there. :lol:

Pretty quiet for a day on the top of Ben Nevis.

Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 am

Milesy wrote:Congratulations! 8) 8) 8) It certainly gets fair busy all right. Need to get yourself back up in winter now.

Last time I was up there was 6 people there. :lol:

Pretty quiet for a day on the top of Ben Nevis.

Yeah, but what you didn't mention was you'd shoved them all down the northern crags! :lol:

My mind was boggling when you said you'd been invited up Ben Nevis by the police - thought you must have been handcuffed to one but can see from the pic that wasn't the case :D
mountain coward

Postby ad10314 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 am

Ha ha, I suppose my opening line does sound a bit strange :lol: I was checking out the state of the paths for future community service projects !!!!. On that note, I have to say, I saw at least a half dozen folk sporting the latest Burberry and Rob De Kappa hillwalking shellsuits when I was on the trail and even a guy wearing sandals. Some folk will never quite get it !! :crazy:
ad10314
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 am

ad10314 wrote:Ha ha, I suppose my opening line does sound a bit strange :lol: I was checking out the state of the paths for future community service projects !!!!. On that note, I have to say, I saw at least a half dozen folk sporting the latest Burberry and Rob De Kappa hillwalking shellsuits when I was on the trail and even a guy wearing sandals. Some folk will never quite get it !! :crazy:

If you mean by 'it', hypothermia, I'm sure they will! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland