walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

South Glen Shiel Ridge..

Re: South Glen Shiel Ridge..

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue May 25, 2021 2:47 pm

The word "may" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

A car park is a very grand description of the layby at Màlagan and it's on the other side of the road.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby RogartRambler » Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Doing this tomorrow.

City Link advised that they will not pick up between scheduled stops and the taxi company at Shiel Bridge no longer (as of last summer) run a taxi as "they are getting on in years".

I'm biting the bullet with dropping the car at West end 5.00am or thereabouts and walking back when road will be quiet but lessening the chance of a lift. I can't be bothered lugging the bike as going down the Kinloch Hourn road the next day.
RogartRambler
Mountain Walker

Munros:254   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:23

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Cycling is the best option. For me starting early and cycle downhill east to west is the way to do it. I parked at the Cluanie Inn really early and the approx. 7 mile cycle took less than half an hour, 20 mins I think. It does mean you have extra ascent on the hill but you are doing 7 munros anyway - the 200m you save by starting the hills at Cluanie is negligible. :D

I wouldn't recommend cycling back up that road dodging juggernauts, buses and motorhomes after a long day on the hill unless of course you're into that sort of thing. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby davemorrissey » Tue May 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Starting from Cluanie you have 200m of gentle ascent on a good track then 500m up a steeper stalkers path, before getting a breather with some descent and less steep ground. From the other end it's 900m straight up a steep rough path. I know which I'd prefer :)
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby prog99 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Or split the ridge into loops as it lends itself quite readily to this approach. May not appeal to the hardend baggers of course.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue May 25, 2021 5:52 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:
Pointless Parasite wrote:
al78 wrote:Is the bus service along the glen a feasible option?

Yes, just get the 915 Citylink bus from Shiel Bridge at 9 am. It drops you off at the Cluanie 20 minutes later.

Not sure that's much help. You still end up 6 miles from your car. I suppose the advantage over the other way around is at least it's 6 miles downhill.

To clarify, don't stop at the 7 munros and keep going over the ridge all the way to Shiel Bridge and do all nine. I did a similar thing for the seven Munros on the North side. Coutts is a young guy, he can manage it :lol:
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby al78 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:To clarify, don't stop at the 7 munros and keep going over the ridge all the way to Shiel Bridge and do all nine. I did a similar thing for the seven Munros on the North side. Coutts is a young guy, he can manage it :lol:

I've wondered if that is doable in a day with an early start. It is probably up there with the full Mammores traverse, the Fannichs, the Lochaber traverse, or the Loch Mullardoch munros.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 pm

davemorrissey wrote:Starting from Cluanie you have 200m of gentle ascent on a good track then 500m up a steeper stalkers path, before getting a breather with some descent and less steep ground. From the other end it's 900m straight up a steep rough path. I know which I'd prefer :)

Aye Dave, I guess it's a bit of a trade off. I found the early morning cycle to be an easy start to the day and found the ascent on the hill steep but fairly comfortable on a reasonable enough path.
I don't fancy the uphill cycle at the start of the day or especially the end in heavy traffic.
The buses are too infrequent and not a great option for me either.

I guess it's just finding what suits yourself best. A good suggestion from prog99, I've done a couple on the ridge that way also. Fine views east to west too. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Alteknacker » Tue May 25, 2021 9:15 pm

I did a bike and walk. I parked up near the Cluanie Inn, cycled down to Malagan Bridge, and then started up the track to Forcan Ridge, before cutting up left on a more direct route.
My report on the walk might help.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42804

As far as timing goes, the walk took a couple of hours longer than expected because I got an attack of lateral tibial band syndrome just before I set off back down to Cluanie, that made it excruciatingly painful to walk downhill. So if you're reasonably fit, you could probably do it a fair bit quicker than I did.

As far as replenishing lost minerals when you get back is concerned, the Cluanie Inn sold good beer when I was there, but I've visited since the refurb, and it no longer does.

It's an absolutely fabulous walk, with brilliant views from beginning to end. You will certainly enjoy it if you get quarter way decent weather.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:00 am

Fairweather Softie wrote:Left bike at Cluanie and then drove to west end to start, cycling back to car after I came off hill. Would recommend going in that direction as you get the downhill gradient.

This. :clap:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby malky_c » Wed May 26, 2021 10:15 am

Or take a tent, camp near the Clunie Inn and do the northern skyline of Glen Shiel the next day (or camp somewhere up on the hill if the midges are out)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby WallaceJohnston » Wed May 26, 2021 12:30 pm

When doing the Munros on the north side of the glen I used the following scheme:-

Start by leaving tent at the Shiel Bridge site. On day 1, drive up to the car park at the start of the Five Sisters, leave car there and walk back over the hills to the tent (optional stop at the Kintail Lodge on the way). On day 2, take the morning bus up to Cluanie, walk over the rest of the hills back to the car.

This allows the walk to be split, avoids any walking along the road and avoids having to get the bus to stop between official stops.

The same scheme should also work for the south Munros.
WallaceJohnston
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:191
Donalds:4

Postby rohan » Wed May 26, 2021 4:57 pm

The bus will stop on request as long as it is safe to do so. It needs to have a clear view of you flagging it down and somewhere to pull in to stop.
rohan

Postby davekeiller » Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 pm

Haven't done it for the south ridge, but when I did the five sisters the bus was willing to stop at the battle site.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Jokester » Fri May 28, 2021 11:52 am

Fairweather Softie wrote:Left bike at Cluanie and then drove to west end to start, cycling back to car after I came off hill. Would recommend going in that direction as you get the downhill gradient.

This is how I did it, fairly effortless downhill back to the car.
Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion