walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

Postby mjstephens2001 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi,

We're considering climbing Aonach Beag and Beinn Eibhinn from the north (A86 at Luiblea) at the weekend. This involves a river crossing of the Allt Cam (twice!).
Does anyone have any recent experience of river levels in this area? I know there's been a lot of rainfall in the east and WH has posted a rivers in spate warning but I don't think it's been as wet in the west? :shock: Should we be considering a route without river crossings altogether?!

Cheers
mjstephens2001
Mountain Walker

Munros:245   Corbetts:70
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:33   Islands:33

Re: River levels - Allt Cam (Ben Alder)

Postby jmarkb » Thu May 27, 2021 3:03 pm

It will mostly depend on the amount of rain in the area between now and your trip - keep an eye on the forecast and rain radar tomorrow. Burns/rivers like that tend to return to normal levels within 24-48 hours of it stopping raining.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby 1Magnus » Thu May 27, 2021 3:34 pm

I'll be doing Beinn Eibhinn from the north on Sunday as well. I'm less worried about that stream - even if you do end up with wet feet, on a day when it's forecast to be 19 degrees, that shouldn't be so bad. (I'm hoping for a quick dip in the Lochan na h'earba after the walk! :D
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby 1Magnus » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:46 am

IMG_4076.JPG
In case this is helpful to anyone, here a photo of the bit where I ended up crossing the Allt Cam two days ago (30 May). Wasn't a problem really - on the way up I found some stepping stones (in the photo); on the way back I just walked through the stream at the point where I reached it. (Boots still drying out in the kitchen now!) What a glorious day it was.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion