walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I survived Armageddon

I survived Armageddon

by BlackPanther » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Ruadh Stac Mòr

Date walked: 17/07/2017

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 51.9 km

Ascent: 1815m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: I survived Armageddon

Postby andreww18 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Great report and stunning photographs. Really breathtaking stuff.
andreww18
Mountaineer

Munros:90   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Beautiful area, beautiful photos, great report BP :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks again for all kind words :D

I still have a backlog of reports to write but feeling a bit under the weather at the moment, I'll try to post another story tomorrow if my spinning head allows me :(
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Great report BP - and many thanks, we haven't come to a landing on how we will tackle the Fisherfields yet, but this option is high on my list of possibilities. Your photos are wonderful as usual (thanks Kevin), I really feel for you on the walk out - we were on Beinn Eighe the same day and it's the closest I've ever come to suffering from heat stroke ever - yes in the north west of Scotland :shock: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Great report BP - and many thanks, we haven't come to a landing on how we will tackle the Fisherfields yet, but this option is high on my list of possibilities. Your photos are wonderful as usual (thanks Kevin), I really feel for you on the walk out - we were on Beinn Eighe the same day and it's the closest I've ever come to suffering from heat stroke ever - yes in the north west of Scotland :shock: :lol:

I can recommend this approach with my whole heart - wonderful area, so wild and so magical! Excellent walk-in path and a superb spot for camping. We will return next year to climb some Corbetts and Grahams :D

Photos would have been better but we had to leave the bigger camera home (too heavy), looks like the small compact did a good job though.

The walk out wasn't too bad - we carried loads of water and kept drinking-refilling from streams. The worst pain came in the shape of clegs! Their bites are so painful :? Don't know where they came from but they were in attacking mood that afternoon. They like Kevin especially - poor man.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Ohhhhhh yesssssss!!!!!!! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby SummitViews » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:00 am

Wow, what a fantastic report and those pics are amazing BP
Doing these 2 next weekend from Poolewe
Your report has given me terrific insight on what to expect , cheers :clap:
SummitViews
Mountaineer

Munros:31   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 am

Having just returned from a trip to Armageddon (of course it also involved canoes), its lovely to have this report pop up this morning as I return to sitting in front of a screen instead of wild lochs and mountains.

'Armageddon' is an utterly fantastic mountain, definitely best approached from that direction if you want to understand the complexity of the mountain, the hidden ice-carved lochans, and the huge crags. Having "canoed*" to Dubh Loch we camped at the head of the loch for 3 sublime nights last week, Armageddon towering over us, and did A'M by the two Fuar Lochs and the "interesting" NW ridge. The west and north sides of the hill are simply astonishing. We nipped up and down the tottering pile of rubbish that is RSM from the pass (Kevin is definitely correct!), then descended what is actually an easy enough path back to Dubh Loch.

A report in due course. First I have to edit over 1000 photos down.... :shock:

* "Canoed" involved some actual paddling, and rather a lot of carrying, but that's just the way we like to do it! :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm

SummitViews wrote:Wow, what a fantastic report and those pics are amazing BP
Doing these 2 next weekend from Poolewe
Your report has given me terrific insight on what to expect , cheers

Thanks for bringing this old TR back up :D I hope you have good time, it's such a superb area, doesn't really need any words to advertise it. Weather has now turned to proper summer (at last!) so condition perfect for wild camping. Kevin is working full time until mid-July, so at the moment for us it's only day trips till his July hols. Hopefully we get a good summer this year!

Mal Grey wrote:A report in due course. First I have to edit over 1000 photos down....

:lol: :lol: I know your pain :lol: :lol:
We take the average of 200-300 photos on each trip, unless weather is sh*te. Plane crash sites are the worst culprits. The record this year was 812 photos from a single walk :roll: Kevin keeps remembering old times of film cameras, when he was restricted to 5-10 photos per trip or he'd go bankrupt printing them off. The era of digital photography is spoiling us :lol:

I think more and more walkers appreciate the western approach to Armageddon rather than the "over-exploited" route from Shenaval. I understand that the big round of 6 (5 Munros and Clammy) is more convenient, but the Poolewe side has so much more character. Can't wait to go back for the Corbetts!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland