walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain

Beinn an Lochain

Postby magicdin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 670m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I suppose we all have a soft spot for the hills we started our hillwalking on
For me it is the hills around Loch Lomond and Arrochar
Most west coasters will probably be the same
For east coasters it will no doubt be the Angus Glens,White Mounth,Cairngorms.
These well rounded sometimes featureless hills in the east are perhaps better for learning navigation skills.
But the Arrochar Alps to me,and I'm a wee bit biased, are terrific hills for learning the basic skills of hillwalking.
Plenty of well worn paths of course,even more so nowadays, but wander off the beaten track and they can give a good test. Steep sided hills with rocky outcrops - good for finding out how to pick a line - and plenty of opportunities for scrambling.
It is a great playground.
One of my favourites has always been Beinn an Lochain above Loch Restil and the approach up the bounding NE ridge from Butterbridge.No navigation problems once on the ridge but craggy and narrow enough in places to give a sense of exposure.
When I first started hillwalking this hill was classed as a Munro but was soon to be demoted :shock:
In these days they were all just hills (lists like Munros/Corbetts just did'nt matter to me and my mates)
In the past few years I'm glad to find that I now think that way again - wish I had always.

Parked at the layby just up and round the corner from Butterbridge and started off just after 9.30
Cool enough in a breeze to have the fleece top on,across the burn and on to the boggy path over to the start of the ridge.
A very pleasant morning with warm watery sunshine but with cloud just catching all the tops.
This ridge soon gets you working hard and my legs were feeling it.
Basically the ridge bounds up in three steps - first rise to 630 m second to 760 m
After the second rise I was ready for a stop and a drink where I took the first photo of the day.
looking to the final rise
Found a sheltered spot below a large rock out of the strong and cold breeze
Sitting there with no sight of the road below and looking over to Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibhean with rain sweeping across it felt as though I was in a more remote area - and for some reason thought of Loch Monar hills - they are kind of similar in character I suppose.
rain sweeping across Beinn Ime and Beinn Luibhean
After my break I set on up again only to find that the top had disappeared into the clag.
The last climb to the summit 901m is terrific up a steep ridge and takes you quickly to the somewhat tame summit. There are two cairns a couple of hundred yards apart - which is the highest ? - who cares - visit both !
mist at the top
No views from the top so I hung around for twenty minutes or so with the hope of a clearance.
But alas nae chance - and you just know that once you leave the top and drop down a bit the hill will clear - and of course it did - why does that always happen.
mist clearing the lower ridge
and the upper ridge

Sunshine now and really warm and pleasant for the drop back down the ridge
looking through to Loch Fyne
Rest and be Thankful
the top clearing now :(
Beinn Ime
another look back up the ridge
butterbridge

Back at the car before 1 pm - drove round to Cairndow Hotel for a pint of Fyne Ales Avalanche

took this view of the hill from butterbridge on the way back

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: Beinn an Lochain

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm

I like this hill too. It is good with some snow on it.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby magicdin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:I like this hill too. It is good with some snow on it.

yes I agree - a hill for all seasons :D
magicdin
Rambler

Postby davetherave » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Loved this hill when we did it back in March 2010. Will do this one again when im back in the area.
We had the whole day, so we managed the 3 Corbett's on the South side ! of the A83.

NE ridge (5).JPG
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby StephenT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Tried to do this one in August, but failed as it had rained heavily overnight and we couldnt get across the swollen stream nr the layby above the waterfall, or anywhere else for that matter :lol: ! so gave up and went up Ben Donich up the road.
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Great photos of the ridge but it looks 'orribly scary to me! I'm glad it's been demoted - maybe I'll never have to do it! :o
mountain coward

Postby doogz » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:43 pm

My mates car is in your picture as we were up beinn an fhidlier across the way ..... :lol:

Amazingly we watched you park your car to start your walk

How amazing was the mist clearing...from the other side I have a photo with the right side clear and the left covered in mist...will post if you want to see it

Don't want to steal your trip report

Done this in full winter ......soooooperb 8)

We also left summit to do the ridge out toward Ben vane and missed the summit views by less than 5 mins..but almost tripped over a golden eagle preening himself..he was huge.....
doogz

Postby Jock McJock » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:36 am

Done this one a few weeks back (not got round to a walk report yet) and it was in the clag all day. From about 400m the visibilty was down to about 30yds in all directions. The forecast said it would clear so I pressed on, but it never did. Only got the odd glimpse of the ridge and a mere hint of the exposure at times. Will def be back up there on a better day. The few pics I took just show the cloud, :lol: , so nice to see your pics and what I missed. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby magicdin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:13 am

mountain coward wrote:Great photos of the ridge but it looks 'orribly scary to me! I'm glad it's been demoted - maybe I'll never have to do it! :o

Och naw - go and do it - it's a great hill - good path all the way :D

doogz wrote:My mates car is in your picture as we were up beinn an fhidlier across the way ..... :lol:

Amazingly we watched you park your car to start your walk

Done this in full winter ......soooooperb 8)

good to almost meet you then
I have also done it in winter conditions - yes terrific :D :D

Cheers Jock McJock - how did the cycle go :?:
Last edited by magicdin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
magicdin
Rambler

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am

It would have to bone dry rock, good visibility, absolutely no wind at all - I virtually never get those conditions in the Scottish Hills so it probably won't get done!
mountain coward

Postby doogz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Its not that steep.....MC

edit photos ............to tidy Md post..
Last edited by doogz on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doogz

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Well you don't think anything is! Actually, the contours on the map make it look perfectly reasonable... just the photos don't! Also I read a description of it the other day by Tom Weir in The Scotsman and he said it was just about the highest and steepest Corbett around :o
mountain coward

Postby ramblingsteve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:47 pm

I agree... this is a great hill, Munro, Corbett, whatever... it's well worth the little time it takes, and it's great to spend as long as you like at the summit, weather permitting of course.

I really enjoyed this cragfest when I was up there in early August... Knocked it off with decent views at the summit and am currently working on a 360 photoshop job... Will post it when I get it dusted.
ramblingsteve
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Juliejjot » Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

We 4 ladies (of a certain age) walked up Beinn an lochain yesterday in sunshine all the way; gusts were strong so quite scary at times but we were un-deterred. Wonderful views and a great pinic lunch, in a much welcomed sheltered spot, was had by all. Thoroughly enjoyable and one hill we'll definitely do again. :D
Juliejjot
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland