walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going North to Ben Klibreck

Going North to Ben Klibreck

Postby fingeez » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 03/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Catching up on my trip up north and round the west coast to Skye.

So my first day on the road with my sister and nephew, where we spent the day at Landmark before heading further north to find a campsite. Typical as it goes i was coming down the fire tower stairs at Landmark, when my knee starting getting sore. Not sure if i twisted it or what but it wasnt a very promising feeling with a few good days of walking planned ahead of me. Oh well nothing for it, get some food and sleep and hope all feels well the next day.

So up early, packed up at the campsite and on the road towards Klibreck, found the layby easily enough and got ready to head off. While the layby was easy enough to find the land rover track was another story, in the end I bite the bullet and decided to head straight towards Cnoc Sgriodain where the path went up. This first section was fairly boggy and very wet, so our feet and trousers were soaked in short order.

More West Coasting 002.jpg
Its a whale alright, even with a large chunk missing in the cloud!

More West Coasting 004.jpg
she's a big one

We reached the Cairn at Cnoc Sgriodain easily enough and headed onwards dipping down towards a big ol pile of peat hags, it was at this point we seen around 50 deer running infront of us. My what a speed they go at, I only wish my legs were as fast and nimble going uphill lol. Alas my camera was deep in my pack at the time so never got time to snap some pics of them, but we did spot a smaller group to our left which i was starting to take pics of just as a family came up behind us with running shouting children. That was all the warning the deer needed and scarpered fast as lighting so my pics of them were not great in the slightest. We decided to stop for lunch here to let the family get further ahead and to fuel up for the peat hags.

More West Coasting 005.jpg
Herd of Deer

We made it through the peat hags in one piece and headed up once again. The going was fairly easy and my knee was going ok uphill with only a slight twinge. The views started getting good as we made our way along the long path.

More West Coasting 011.jpg
Views getting good

So finally getting to the final pull of the rocky slope and still going strong with only a few complaints from my nephew who had decided we didnt need to goto the top :)
Final pull and we were at the top, very wind and cold up here but the cloud had lifted so the views were pretty good, we stopped here for about 10mins while i had some coffee and enjoyed the views. We had some intermittent cloud but it never lasted any length of time at all.

More West Coasting 015.jpg
Loving the clouds up here

More West Coasting 018.jpg
Very windy and cold at the top

More West Coasting 020.jpg
Lochan

More West Coasting 025.jpg
The long route back

Well time to start the journey back and boy did my knee really not like going downhill. Made good time none the less to get out of the wind. The long path seemed to take forever though, then again followed the peat hags once again which my knee started to protest mightily at all the steeps steps. Back to the top of Cnoc Sgriodian and energy was at a low and it was all downhill. The slope down was like a long steep, wet, knee crunching slog, but finally it was over and we were on even ground once more. A short walk later and we were at the car and back in some nice dry warm clothes and I quickly set about the bag of haribo in the glove box:)

We headed up to Durness and the campsite Sango Sands that i stayed at the year before. Love the sea views from the cliffs there :)
The plan was for Ben Hope the next day but with my knee giving me grieff we decided to spend two nights and have a day resting my leg. Wise choice indeed as we got to enjoy Cocoa Mountain :) where i had some amazing Mochachino coffee and got some lovely truffles. We also explored around the area a little visiting a few small towns further south.

really enjoyed Ben Klibreck even if my knee was killing me. when Paul describes it as a whale of a mountain he wasnt lying at all. Well off to Ben Hope after my days rest which really helped my knee huge amounts but i'll save that for the next report :)

Ross
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Re: Going North to Ben Klibreck

Postby skuk007 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 pm

NIce report Ross, well done for continuing with a dodgy knee. Do you wear or take any support bandages with you.
I usually carry a knee and ankle support - just incase. Explains why my pack is always heavy, full of just incase items.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Well at least with Klibreck, you could roll back down... nice soft landing in the bogs at the bottom too!
mountain coward

Postby fingeez » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey Skuk007 thanks for the comment. nah i dont wear or have any support bandages. Was the first time my knee has been abit dodgy. Been fine since aswell. Id did Ben Hope 2 days later which was a little tender on it then Conival and Ben More Assynt the day after which filled my knee a fair bit, but think i just knicked it abit at Landmark before walking lol.

haha yeah tht true MC :)
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Ross,
Thats a nice route you took (Its mine hahaha). I done this last year and it wasn't so boggy. Well done on doing the northern 4. :D

Watch that knee. It may be downhill walking thats causing the problem. Hopefully you have just caught it as you said and all will be fine. :D Get some auld mans poles hahaha
monty

Postby fingeez » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Hi Monty, cheers for the comment, yeah i really liked the northern 4, all really diff from each other but good at the same time. Think my fav had to be conval and ben more assynt. haha i wish it wasnt as boggy, mind you others have been worse.

haha yeah i'll be keeping an eye on it :)
lol iv got those old mans poles just not used them in ages, cant make my mind up if i like them or not or if they help me much, need to try them on a walk iv already done to see if i feel it was easier or about the same.
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:33 am

Our faves were Ben More Assynt and Conival too - brilliant hills - have written a report to put out soon :D
mountain coward

Postby goth_angel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Did this last year and it was the boggiest walk I have ever done! Nice views from the top, though.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Yep - was one of the boggiest we've ever done too!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland