walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Leoid, Meallan a' Chuaill & Meall an Fheur Loch

Beinn Leoid, Meallan a' Chuaill & Meall an Fheur Loch

Postby Strathlassie » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Leoìd

Fionas included on this walk: Meall an Fheur Loch, Meallan a' Chuail

Date walked: 18/06/2021

Time taken: 6.1 hours

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We set off on this walk closely following the report posted by m3doc (thank you!). It's the type of walk that I really love - you set off uphill immediately so gaining height - none of this walking along a glen for 5 km or so making no height gain. The stalkers path uphill was really well maintained and was great to walk down at the end of the day. We crossed over stepping stones over a very dry burn (we hit this point on our descent from Meall an Fheur Loch). Once we'd reached the high point, we traversed down to the second grassy stalkers path which took us up to the col along a fine zigzag path. Views started to open up and once we reached the top of Beinn Leoid, the views were magnificent - even a slight glimpse over to Hoy. The descent back to the col and then up to the summit of Meallan a' Chuaill l was very straightforward. Descending the north ridge was spectacular - views, views, views. Then the last uphill to Meall an Fheur Loch.

This is one of the best walks I've done this year - wild countryside, views to die for, nobody else in sight. I'd urge anyone bagging Corbetts only, to also do the two Grahams.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

200.jpg
The grassy stalkers path
201.jpg
On way up to Meallan a' Chuaill
202.jpg
Summit of Meallan a' Chuaill
203.jpg
Summit of Meall an Fheur Loch
204.jpg
Loch Shin
Strathlassie
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:116
Fionas:108   Donalds:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland