walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Why do they keep making them bigger?

Why do they keep making them bigger?

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benarty Hill, Cairnie Hill, East Lomond, Largo Law, Mount Hill, Norman's Law , West Lomond

Date walked: 13/06/2021

Time taken: 9.75 hours

Distance: 23.5 km

Ascent: 1175m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had intended to climb Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) but an MWIS forecast which had been benign suddenly changed to low cloud. I don’t want to bag it, I just wanted the views, so changed my mind and set out to do the seven Marilyns in Fife again. I did them aged 77, 80 and 81, but am afraid I have to report that the side effect of Covid on local hills is to make them bigger, unless it was the weather (moderate wind and heat), or the age, 82.
Cars were parked at the bottom of Benarty at 6.38 am
So I was not surprised to see the tents. Unfortunately my photo of all the empty booze cans did not come out. Maybe I was too nervous at clicking away near the tents, anyway, this was Hangover City. Since last I climbed this last summer, someone has painted over the NHS rainbow.

For West Lomond

I was at Craigmead car park early enough to get a space, but alas the loos weren’t open, nor were they on my return, when I had to drive to the Public Toilets in Falkland (30p). I ate a marmalade sandwich for breakfast and a coffee from my flask before setting out. It was so quiet on the hill, I couldn’t think what had happened, could people be watching the Euros already, surely Scotland wasn’t playing yet? Had Boris declared war on Europe? Or had the Fifers just got fed up of climbing their highest hill over and over again in lockdown and broken out to sample a Munro? The cloud lifted as I walked towards it. I couldn’t be bothered to climb up either of the steep ways, but went round the back where the wind blew me up the hill. I couldn’t do 10 second releases at any of the summits bar Benarty and Mount Hill as the wind kept toppling my camera. I went down the steep side via some sheep, and drove via the loo to East Lomond the easy way from the masts.

At East Lomond

I wasted time discussing dogs with a couple who had a Shih Tzu. It kept barking, and they explained this was due to the breed developing in Tibetan monasteries as a lookout dog. It was a rescue dog, having been bought for a boy who got fed up with it a week after his birthday, and had been kept in a crate for a year. The barking theory explains the third grand-dog who is part Shih Tzu. They have trained it not to bark quite so much by shooting it with a water pistol, but it still tries to interrupt when I phone. Up and down in quite a reasonable time and again met hardly anyone. Unusual for this hill.

I drove to Cairnie Hill

A huge pile of logs at the entrance warned me of what was to come. Luckily they haven’t chopped down any of the lovely deciduous trees and I found the summit quite easily. On the way back I stopped to chat to a couple to whom I had explained Weather Watching last year some time (but alas couldn't remember). For some stupid reason I cut across too early on the way back, as they had made a new track and spent an extra ten minutes extricating myself and discovering that I didn’t know how to make my Maverick application show me my downloaded maps instead of blank sea (I do now, hill walking friend T has put me right).
I ate a cheese sandwich for lunch. It was so hot, I really only wanted the tomatos, but thought I should force it down.

At Norman’s Law,

there were three cars parked. A family came to claim theirs immediately and another followed me up. I’m sure any one of them would have overtaken me solo, but they were busy talking. One of them took my photo at the top. Back at the car, I had the faff of changing back into my boots again. Last time husband could chauffeur me, but not this time.

At Mount Hill,

I remembered finding a shorter way to the top coming down last year, so used it both ways this year by climbing over a padlocked gate. It meant I equaled last year’s time of an hour.

I had phoned husband from East Lomond and from Norman’s Law, just to let him know I was OK.
By the time I got to Largo Law, I was not feeling particularly OK.
I thought I would just walk to the bottom of the steep bit and turn round if it seemed too much. It was beginning to seem too much, but having done six hills, surely I could do seven? A couple came gingerly down the steep track. They didn’t look as if they went in for this sort of thing often. Up was a grind, and down was a teeter, but I made it, having phoned R from the summit. I set off for home at 8.15 pm. I’m not sure about repeating this when I’m a year older.
Below, the photo one of the family took of me on Norman’s Law as none of the summit selfies worked or were so close as to be unpublishable.
Some Stats.
Benarty 1 hour 21 minutes, far longer than last year’s 50 minutes
West Lomond 2 hours 28 minutes (21 minutes longer, but I did go the long way round the back to save effort)
East Lomond 47 minutes (5 minutes slower)
Cairnie Hill 1 hour 18 minutes (18 minutes slower, but I stopped to chat, and got lost…ridiculous)
Norman’s Law 1 hour 7 minutes (10 minutes longer)
Mount Hill 1 hour (the same!!!! I found a short cut
Largo Law 1 hour 41 minutes (6 minutes longer)
For distances see http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25115&highlight=seven+seventy+seven

Total distance=14.6 miles Ascent=3856 metres
The total "time walked" of 9,75 hours includes the driving
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Why do they keep making them bigger?

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 am

Great stuff & hard core!

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby johnscot55 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 am

Fantastic. Well done👌👏.You're an inspiration to all of us who are, let's say, "not as young as we used to be."
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Double post
Last edited by Sgurr on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:30 pm

johnscot55 wrote:Fantastic. Well done👌👏.You're an inspiration to all of us who are, let's say, "not as young as we used to be."

The only time I was as young as I used to be was when we went to Austria in 1964 https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=102337
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby gld73 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 pm

What a cracking day out! I'm sure your 23.5km of walking put the occupants of those tents to shame, you probably managed about 23.4km more than they did .. :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 pm

A little-known fact is Glasgow still has a zoo. Unfortunately due to budget constraints it only has one animal, a dog.

It's a Shih Tzu.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can only hope the campers cleaned-up the next day.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby onsen » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:35 am

Ageing well, Sgurr...ageing well. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Marty_JG wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can only hope the campers cleaned-up the next day.

If anyone has proof that they didn't, I have a photo of their car number..........not that the polis would be bothered.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby rohan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 pm

I've just caught up with this. Brilliant, I look forward to next year and reading your Fife 7 (aka Sgurr's Round) at 83. NB I remember a former work colleague confessing that she was caught out at an interview when one of the interviewers asked where she had been hillwalking ( she had listed it as a hobby). Her mind went blank and she could only think of Fife, not the most obvious hill walking region in Scotland. She got the job.
rohan

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:07 pm

Sgurr wrote:I had intended to climb Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) but an MWIS forecast which had been benign suddenly changed to low cloud. I don’t want to bag it, I just wanted the views, so changed my mind and set out to do the seven Marilyns in Fife again. I did them aged 77, 80 and 81, but am afraid I have to report that the side effect of Covid on local hills is to make them bigger, unless it was the weather (moderate wind and heat), or the age, 82.

It could be the effect of the land in Scotland still rising after the last ice age :lol: :lol: :lol:
NOTHING to do with age :shock: :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:42 pm

I tried to climb Benarty Hill when in Fife for arrival of a grandchild but going up from Ballingry side was like ploughing through post battle Somme with a mess of felled trunks and sticks which even the dog wasn't enjoying. So I gave up. Now that part of the family has moved north I'm unlikely ever to do Sgurr's round which is a pity as it looks lovely!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sgurr » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:05 pm

dogplodder wrote:I tried to climb Benarty Hill when in Fife for arrival of a grandchild but going up from Ballingry side was like ploughing through post battle Somme with a mess of felled trunks and sticks which even the dog wasn't enjoying. So I gave up. Now that part of the family has moved north I'm unlikely ever to do Sgurr's round which is a pity as it looks lovely!

I climbed it from the Ballingry side this time, and it is very bare compared with the lovely route it used to be, but at least the walkers have now battered a path through, albeit on a rather slidey surface. Better for a walk to do the Loch Leven side from the RSPB place, but takes much longer. Did that on my first attempt because they had closed the Ballingry road.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland