walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgòr Gaoith and some ex-Munros.

Sgòr Gaoith and some ex-Munros.

Postby SecondRow » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:34 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 23/06/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.73 km

Ascent: 1108m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgòr Gaoith230621.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I have long though there must be a better name for demoted Munros than designating them 'tops' or 'Corbetts'. 'Fossil' Munros perhaps?

For whatever reason this seems to be an area which has suffered disproportionately, from being re-assessed with a piece of string and a Commodore 64 home computer in the 80s at some point. To my reckoning my walk would once have included 3 Munros: Sgòr Gaoith, Sgoran Dubh Mòr and Geal Chàrn (also Carn Ban Mor if I had been paying attention). Now only Sgòr Gaoith warrants a tick.

I am not enough of an anorak to dwell on the technicalities of Munro status, but in fairness you could probably shout to someone on the summit of Sgòr Gaoith from Sgoran Dubh Mòr on a calm day. Geal Chàrn, on the other hand, has a pretty decent separation along the ridge, so it's demotion seems perhaps a little unfair.

Regardless, the point being that the non 'rock star hills' very much add to a great walk, and anyone who missed them out for the convenience of a bagging run would be missing out.

Ascending as per the WH route from Glen Feshie, it didn't take long to get into the cloud. After a period of meandering across the plateau, unable to see further than a few yards ahead, the visibility cleared and I was treated to the summit cliffs of Sgòr Gaoith and views of the Loch below

I ate a roll with my legs swinging off the summit rocks, then followed a clear path to Sgoran Dubh Mòr. Given the short distance it seemed like a worthwhile detour, and the thought 'they changed it's status once they can do it again' played in my mind.

Sgoran Dubh Mòr has one of the BIGGEST summit cairns I have ever seen! Whether that is part of a strategy for it to regain Munro status I am not sure (my understanding is that lateral displacement was the issue, not the elevation). Again the cloud cleared briefly to give a few moments of brilliant views.

Returning to the ridge, I enjoyed a steady walk taking in Meall Buidhe and Geal Chàrn. It was a strangely humid sort of day, with flies constantly buzzing even at that altitude. Being slightly lower had taken me out of the cloud, which gave the unplanned for benefit of a better visibility that if I had just taken in the main summit itself.

The descent back to the main path from Geal Charn, was quick and quite enjoyable in the soft, spongy heather. Though I can see it will get tougher once the native woodland starts to recover.

P1010610.JPG

P1010612_1.JPG

The path up

P1010616_2.JPG

P1010617_3.JPG

P1010619_4.JPG

The summit cliffs.

P1010622_5.JPG

Giant summit Cairn on Sgoran Dubh Mòr!

P1010623_6.JPG

P1010627_7.JPG

Views from ridge
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

Re: Sgòr Gaoith and some ex-Munros.

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 pm

De-frocked Munros perhaps. I think that I made a post of these ex-Munros ten years ago. :)
Going to the high ground from Geal charn and over the other tops is probably the most enjoyable way to get to Sgor Gaoith rather than following the path for most of the way now.
I guess that we should add Meal Dubhag to this group since that was also taken off the list. :)
Not to forget Mullach Clach a'Bhlair also part of this group of hills. When I first went onto these hills the day out was over five relatively easy but enjoyable hills. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland