walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ticks

Re: Ticks

Postby petelynn » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:49 am

Walk all the time off path here in Poolewe, through heather, tussock grass and bracken (if unavoidable). Lots of deer everywhere. Started in May getting a tick or 2 every time we were out despite tucked-in socks, gaiters and overtrousers. When midges began I started treating my lower legs, as well as face and arms with repellent (some old Skin so Soft or Smidge). Haven't had a tick since. I am a magnet for biting things.
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby kaye.cantlay » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Until the last few weeks, I've never knowingly had a tick despite doing a lot of walking and a fair bit of wild camping in Scotland over the last 8 years.
Of course it is possible I've had them and just never spotted them.
I always keep fairly well covered up - trousers and gaiters, long sleeves in all weathers. I would never wear shorts.
I also avoid the bracken where I can....

That said I've picked off 2 in the last few weeks - one on my arm and one on my thigh.
I'm guessing they are becoming a lot more prevalent?
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:03 pm

kaye.cantlay wrote:I'm guessing they are becoming a lot more prevalent?

I believe this is true. Lyme disease is also more prevalent which is why it is important to be vigilant. Some people don't feel ticks so it's important to check including in the secret places. I'm fortunate in a way that I find them intensely itchy
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Definitely becoming more of an issue.

I've had 100s if bites over the years, usually between 2 and 20 a year depending on where we go.

Thus year is the first time o had any reaction to one and got the fun of a course of Doxycycline. When I saw the GP she said they are getting worse than ever.

It's also worth saying that the one that reacted on me didn't even stay attached. I found the bite mark but no tick so you don't need them attached long to catch Lyme.

I take all the precautions too but they just like me!
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:I've had a couple, as has the dog. Remember always to use a tick twister tool to remove them. Getting them off ASAP is a good idea, the longer they are attached the more likely the Lyme infection can take hold.

I've never managed to get one out with any tick tool. They are still too small when I find them. I use tweezers but quite often burst them. :(

There is a second method of removal which you might find easier. https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:54 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:
Jon and Jen wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:I've had a couple, as has the dog. Remember always to use a tick twister tool to remove them. Getting them off ASAP is a good idea, the longer they are attached the more likely the Lyme infection can take hold.

I've never managed to get one out with any tick tool. They are still too small when I find them. I use tweezers but quite often burst them. :(

There is a second method of removal which you might find easier. https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/

Honestly can't imagine getting cotton around these. They are tiny. I repair phones so I'm used to working with tiny things, I need magnification to even get them with tiny tweezers. Cotton would not work as they are usually near hairs. Maybe I notice them quicker due to my bodies reaction to them. Often the red spot is the giveaway and can't even see the tick then. Have to magnify it.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby earthdragon64 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:40 pm

I've tried the remover tools with varying degrees of success, none being completely useful. However, the Lifesystems Tick Remover Tweezers, https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/tick-remover are absolutely brilliant. They've worked first time, every time, even on tiny little tick nymphs, without bursting them.
earthdragon64
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:2
Islands:26

Postby Girl Outdoors » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:25 pm

I just carefully use tweezers if they are dug in. I've got used to doing a thorough visual inpections followed by a bath or shower when I return from walking. When I go out I use a good deet based repelant spray on my boots, trousers and lower legs. Sometimes on other parts too. And this is in the south of the UK.

My understanding is that not all ticks carry Lyme and it seems that certain clusters or areas of infection exist with some areas not having any at all. The other thing it seems from what I've read is that even tick that carry it are unlikely to discharge the bacteria into you in the first 12 hours or so.

If I seem a bit over the top on this I've actually contracted Lyme disease. The problem is that a lot of the NHS doesnt really recognise it as a real problem. It depend who you see. My GP did but would only prescribe a two week course of Doxycycline as she wasnt convinced it was Lyme disease despite a textbook bulls eye rash and other clasic symptoms. My referal to a consultant at a leading hospital infectious disease department was met with a stubborn "its not a problem in the UK" response. They refused to consider any further treatment. Lyme disease is relatively easilly treated with antibiotics if caught early but if left untreated can lead to longer term problems that are much more difficult to treat 9read some of the online accounts) So I then purchased online a further two months of Doxycycline which appeared to knock it out for good. I am little clued up on this having lived for a while in Canada.
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby Fiona Reid » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:29 pm

Girl Outdoors wrote:The problem is that a lot of the NHS doesnt really recognise it as a real problem. It depend who you see.

My experience is that the further north you go the more seriously you'll be taken with respect to ticks and Lyme. In Edinburgh it was very much a case of fight to be given doxycycline. In Dingwall where I now live, the GPs more than aware of Lyme, drugs prescribed instantly no quibbles and sent for a follow up blood test too. Thankfully my reaction to the bite cleared up fast with the antibiotics and my blood test was normal. I've had numerous bites since as they really like me.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:50 am

I think they are more prevalent because a lot of places do not burn the moor anymore. Burn some sense into them, that's what I say! After the fledgelings have flown, obviously...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:29 pm

I removed 19 of the little buggers from my legs after a walk with the dog up a small hill near our holiday place in Cowal last week. I was wearing shorts mind you, but oddly enough the dog doesn't appear to have picked any up. Usually the other way round. The ones in Cowal must have a taste for the Fyne Ales! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Tringa » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:24 am

Lyme Disease can be very serious but fortunately it appears IMO to be relatively uncommon, when you consider the number of people who get ticks(though it could be that more people are tick aware and therefore deal with the ticks before the infection spreads).

I agree with Earthdragon's comment about the LifeSystems tweezers. They are excellent.

There do, however, seem to be more ticks than years ago. In the last week Mrs Tringa has had about ten and that is only from working in the garden, but the garden is frequented by pine marten, badger and roe deer.

Mrs T appears to be a magnet for ticks(I've had only two in the same period) but is also someone who is irritated by them and feels them crawling before they attach, so four of the ten were removed easily, for the others the tweezers did the job.

All of the ticks were VERY small nymphs.

Dave
Tringa

Postby ChrisButch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 am

On the removal question - I always find the Tick Card works perfectly, even for the tiniest ticks. It's also easier to carry with you than tweezers etc - I keep one permanently in my wallet. You can even make your own out of an old credit card. Or rather not actually a credit card (the plastic's a bit too thick) but a thinner credit-card-sized membership card etc.

Lyme is certainly taken seriously by GPs down here in Devon - Exmoor is a Lyme hotspot.
ChrisButch

Postby beany_bot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:10 pm

gld73 wrote:Never found a tick on me in years of hillwalking

...how.....hooow....how is this possible??
beany_bot
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   

Postby allanglens » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:28 pm

beany_bot wrote:
gld73 wrote:Never found a tick on me in years of hillwalking

...how.....hooow....how is this possible??

Hmm...never looked for them?
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion