walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall

Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall

Postby Hills4dogs » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi not sure if this is the correct forum to post this on but ....
As the dog and I am getting older each day, I was thinking of splitting the Beinn Dearg 4 into two lots of two. I was wondering if anyone had gone up Cona Mheall through Coire Lair and up Creagan na Still to Loch Prille? If so what is this route like, can't seem to find any walk reports that have this route..
Thanks
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

Re: Beinn Dearg and Cona Mheall

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Although this approach is a bit shorter than from Inverlael, I suspect it doesn't save you much effort - the SMC Northern Highlands guidebook describes the going past Loch Coire Lair as "notoriously rough and boggy"!

It is probably better to do the S ridge of Cona' Mheall (some easy scrambling, so maybe not dog-appropriate), or go up through Coire Granda - a recommended approach is to follow the Allt a' Gharbhrain upstream from Loch a' Gharbhrain (still possibly a difficult crossing after heavy rain) and head into Coire Granda via Loch nan Eilean.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi Hills4dogs,
I climbed Cona’ Mheall from Loch Prille (but had done Am Faochagach first) and found the last stretch to the summit of Cona’ Mheall unpleasantly steep. There was very little in the way of handholds as the rocks were all at the wrong angles. See route here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81632. It of course depends on how comfortable you and your dog are on steep ground.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Hills4dogs » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Thanks both for the comments
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion