walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Jetboil - Gas Availability WHW

Jetboil - Gas Availability WHW

Postby Mr Dean » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:47 pm

Evening all,
In mid September I am arriving into Milngavie late on Sunday evening and leaving first light Monday.
Is there anywhere between Milngavie and Rowardennan that I can be sure to pick up a canister? Amazon will not deliver to the locker at the Premier Inn in Milngavie.
Much thanks in advance.
Mr Dean
Wanderer

Re: Jetboil - Gas Availability WHW

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Had a look through the Trailblazer book and Coleman style gas is apparently not that easy to get on the route.

First option I can find on the route is at https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/scotland/loch-lomond/cashel-campsite but the Trailblazer book warns that stocks are often low/out towards the end of the season.

The other option, which depends entirely on how and when you are travelling, is Halfords. There's a store very close to Bearsden station which is a few stops down the line from Milngavie, you'll pass through it if you're getting the train from Glasgow city centre. However opening hours might not be convenient for when you're travelling, but it would be possible to place an order online and collect it there to guarantee you get it.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Be aware that many retailers are struggling to keep up with high demand on gas at a time of severe logistics delays, and there are shortages on many shelves. Definitely pre-order if you possibly can.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby AspiringHiker » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Green Welly Stop shop in Tyndrum should have it. Check ahead though.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Be aware that many retailers are struggling to keep up with high demand on gas at a time of severe logistics delays, and there are shortages on many shelves. Definitely pre-order if you possibly can.

For sure. Getting gas right now is a nightmare. I have descended to hanging around Blacks 3 days a week and stripping their deliveries as they come in.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:Be aware that many retailers are struggling to keep up with high demand on gas at a time of severe logistics delays, and there are shortages on many shelves. Definitely pre-order if you possibly can.

For sure. Getting gas right now is a nightmare. I have descended to hanging around Blacks 3 days a week and stripping their deliveries as they come in.

That reminded me that there's a Blacks on Argyle Street, and also a Millets on Sauchiehall Street in the centre of Glasgow. Both are shut by around 17:30-18:00 on a Sunday though, so not an option if you are arriving in late.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby BigTed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:52 am

I was in the pet shop in Milngavie a couple of days ago. Stocking gas beside the front door.

If you want to double check - Creature Comforts - 0141 956 1999

PS the Halfords at Bearden Station will not a stock gas. It is just a tyres and exhaust place. Formerly McConnechys, does servicing only. Not usual Halfors retail stuff.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby BigTed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:06 am

OP - what Sunday in Sept? I live in Milngavie. I'll be at home Sun 12th and 26th. If you are staying at one of the hotels in MIlngavie I can drop a canister off with you. I

If you are arriving the 12th or 26th PM me an email or tel number and where you will be staying.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby LobeyD » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:35 pm

Might be worth emailing the Beech Tree Inn near Killearn and the Oak Tree Inn at Balmaha if you're struggling. Both are next to the Way and have small shops. I'm fairly certain at least the Oak Tree does stock some camping supplies, but as mentioned stock is a bit hit or miss in larger stores far less smaller ones right now. Smaller places like this might, however, be more likely to put one aside.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 pm

Consider getting a spirit burner, they're cheap and meths can be got everywhere.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby PetrosPG » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:09 pm

Update 2023: the Spar in Milngavie now stocks an improved range of camping supples, including gas canisters.
PetrosPG
Mountain Walker

Postby BigTed » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:28 pm

PetrosPG wrote:Update 2023: the Spar in Milngavie now stocks an improved range of camping supples, including gas canisters.

Decent stock as at 17th April.Open 7 days.

IMG_20230417_145233.jpg

IMG_20230417_145306.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion