walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

For the record -

For the record -

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:24 am

We don't throw anything away on a mountain. This includes things such as banana skins, orange peel, cashew shells, sandwich crusts.

They can take 6-months to 3 years to degrade, slower the higher you are and where there isn't a rich soil full of bacteria and worms. It is just litter.

I have noted this year more and more things like this left on hills and summits.

I spent a day on Liathach following (and picking up) a line of cashew shells. I picked up multiple banana skins on Lui. Orange peel shoved in the summit shelter of An Clisham. More banana skins on Sgaith Chuil.

Anyone has an issue with this and I can organise someone to pop round and lob some banana peel and orange peel in your front garden and path.

Take it home. All of it.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Re: For the record -

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Yep, with you on that one.

When there were very few folk on hills, I guess it wasn't thought much of a problem, but these are special environments and even one bit of banana skin or similar DOES change the environment and takes longer to decompose than you think. No reason not to carry it down, you carried it up.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:26 pm

I'll admit that I was a bit ignorant in the beginning thinking this was okay, but quickly realised it isn't. Leave no trace 100%. Cig butts is another! :roll:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby tigerburnie » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:43 pm

I have left an apple core before thinking the birds/slugs/snails would welcome it, but I guess you are right, won't do it again.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:19 pm

I carry my eggs in sandwich bags and peel my boiled eggs in them and pack away. Saves the smell after a few days walking in the sun. Seeing a lot of rubbish lately. I pick up what I can. I spent ages picking bits of supernoodles that erupted upon opening out of the grass at tarf falls the other day. The white pieces on that lovely piece of Scotland just looked terrible.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Iain R » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Yep, back in simpler times we thought "biodegradable" meant just that, your banana skin or applecore would be invisible in a couple of weeks, now we know better.

However, I'll venture the unpopular (but probably widely, if quietly, held) opinion, that we are largely preaching to the converted on forums such as these; the increasing incidence of this and other flytipping in the hills and glens (abandoned cheap camping equipment, anyone?) is largely not perpetrated by the sort of people with a genuine interest in the outdoors, but rather the social media mountaineers and casual visitors who have descended on the hills because they can't go anywhere else justnow. People with no knowledge of, or interest in learning, the etiquette of the outdoors. Not saying there aren't "old hands" who chose not to care, but it's a minority compared to the alternative.

We can chunter on here all we like about how good we are at leaving no trace, but let's face it, we all recognise the true culprits, and they don't tend to be regular denizens of walking and climbing forums. Doubtless I'll be accused of "gatekeeping" or asked for statistical evidence, but let's open our eyes for a minute here...
Iain R
Scrambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:2

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:07 pm

I really resent the aggressive preachy tone of the OP. I assume you're having a bad day and think it's OK to sound off on here in that manner? Please don't.

Ask yourself: would you 'talk' to / harangue strangers in the same tone in person? In the street? In the pub? Somehow, I rather doubt it.

I don't for one second believe these things take "up to three years" to bio-degrade.

I'll continue to throw my apple cores into the grass knowing, not only am I providing a nutritious novel tidbit for birds or mice; I'm //MODERATOR: PERSONAL INSULT REMOVED//

And "for the record".... I'm as diligent and as conscientious a walker as the next person. I too collect the litter of inconsiderate walkers and have done for over 30 yrs. I just don't like being lectured to in that tone by anyone.

I suggest you reflect upon how your virtue-signalling comes across next time before you hit Send.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm

Chews popcorn......
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Chews popcorn......

Just make sure you don't spill any. You might get someone posting a Mr Angry style diktat starting:

"We don't spill popcorn on the hills."

..and threaten to arrange to have someone come round and throw an bunch of popcorn in your garden.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby CharlesT » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Iain R wrote:Yep, back in simpler times we thought "biodegradable" meant just that, your banana skin or applecore would be invisible in a couple of weeks, now we know better.

We can chunter on here all we like about how good we are at leaving no trace, but let's face it, we all recognise the true culprits, and they don't tend to be regular denizens of walking and climbing forums. Doubtless I'll be accused of "gatekeeping" or asked for statistical evidence, but let's open our eyes for a minute here...

Agree this does have the ring of preaching to the converted. However, it did prompt me to do a bit of unscientific research which came up with the unknown (to me) results that banana skins and nut shells can take two years or more to decompose fully and orange peel and apple cores, two months. All can be composted (cut them up first) and they should be taken home for that purpose. They add beneficial nutrients to the compost, so it's win/win all round.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby boriselbrus » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Nope, I'm with the OP on this one. I don't want to see your apple core, I don't want to sit on your apple core, I don't want my dog to eat your mouldy apple core.

You brought it with you, you take it away with you.

What happened to "leave nothing but foot prints, take nothing but photos".?
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:05 pm

boriselbrus wrote:You brought it with you, you take it away with you.

Nope. I'll throw it onto the hillside thanks. And, as I say, leave something nutritional and tasty for the beasties.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 pm

Not littering on the hills and thinking the first post is awful aren't mutually exclusive positions.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby gman » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm

Anyone seen any actual evidence of the bananagate claims? Anyway, I'm chucking a peel in the garden tomorrow just to settle this once and for all :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby boriselbrus » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Nope. I'll throw it onto the hillside thanks. And, as I say, leave something nutritional and tasty for the beasties.

You can try and justify it. But you are littering.

Anyway, I'm chucking a peel in the garden tomorrow just to settle this once and for all

Unless your garden is a rock garden at 900m I don't think that will prove anything.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion