walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello all!

Hello all!

Postby johnovey » Thu May 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Hello!!
As you can imagine, I am a bit new to this walking lark having only started last year.
Coming fron the South Coast we are lacking in mountains just a little bit. The South Downs is as good as it gets.

Having travelled and climbed Mount Snowdon and Scafell Pike last year I am now up for a challenge this year!

With my first Munro bagged at Easter this year (Ben More on Mull) I am now travelling up with a party to Fort William on 6th June.We are a mixed bunch aged between 19 and 55 all fairly fit.
Obviously our first objective is Ben Nevis on the 7th but do we try the CMD route? Is this safe for walkers with little experience? I have read conflicting reports on this. It appears to be Hard but not too dangerous (obviously dependant on weather conditions)

Then we have a free day,the 8th June. One option is a walk through the Lost valley then up to Bidean Nam Bian from Glen Coe. Once again the question is.Is this safe for walkers with little experience?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I will let you know how we got on!

John
johnovey
Mountaineer

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Hello all!

Postby Paul Webster » Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 am

Hi John and welcome!

The Carn Mor Dearg arete itself isn't particularly difficult or requiring any extra skills (though other parts of the route require good navigation) but the whole day over Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis is quite long and exhausting. I'd get another long hillwalk or two under your belt first. The head of the Lost Valley has steep scree at the top (but then so do parts of Ben More on Mull!) - most people would rather go down it than up but that's a personal choice.

I should add that my thoughts are just personal opinions and not professional advice!
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 am

Hello and welcome.

Paul covered reservations on CMD - its a seriously big day. I hate Ben Nevis (never seen much further than my nose on top), and with that much height gained and lost my knees have suffered terribly...

The lost valley offers a very good compromise for mixed ability parties. It's a relatively simple donder up from the car park, that should suit everyone, and get legs stretched, and the valley makes a great picnic stop (with some camping/bouldering/wildlife watching opportunities mixed in depending on preferences). As Paul says the scree slope at the back is less than lovely, but makes a good turn back point for those who don't feel the need to push on.
Makes a great winter walk too - although the approach through the gorge can be a little nervous when it's icy.
Myth

Postby johnovey » Fri May 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice Paul and Myth
I think we will stay on the tourist route up Ben Nevis for this trip and the Lost Valley sounds fantastic for the following day.

I, with my band of "Southerners" are really looking forward to sharing some of your stunning hills.
4 weeks to go!!!!
johnovey
Mountaineer

Postby rogers » Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi,just thought this may be of interest,if you can get a hold of a copy of trail magazines latest issue(spring 2009)there is a good article about the Lost Valley with lots of information regarding routes and the likes.Hope you all have a great time when you get up here and look forward to reading all about it.Just a reminder though,the Haggis season starts round about the time you arrive :D
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Myth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 pm

rogers wrote:.Just a reminder though,the Haggis season starts round about the time you arrive :D

So you must go clockwise round high peaks - anything else has dire consequences...
Myth

Postby Freewheelin » Sat May 09, 2009 2:21 am

...can't wait for the season to start - just bought some new elbow length gauntlets - gonna try and catch some alive this year!
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby johnovey » Sat May 09, 2009 2:27 am

Ha

I will bring my haggis trap. I use a humane trap and always release them after tagging.

I did eat one recently tho. mmmmmmm nice
johnovey
Mountaineer

Postby Can 0f Airy » Thu May 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Hello John.

I hope you already have your accommodation booked as the Mountain Biking World Cup event is on that weekend and I believe it pretty much takes over Fort William for the duration. The actual event is on Aonach Mor but it attracts thousands of spectators who stay in the town. If weather kept you off the hill it's quite exciting to watch the final of the downhill as riders descend 2000ft over 3km in three and a half minutes. But all in all I'd rather be walking in the hills myself.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby johnovey » Sat May 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Yes we have booked in at the Smiddy bunkhouse in Corpach.
I think I would rather stick to walking too. Sounds more than a bit hairy!!!
Not long now....I was surprised to see so much snow on the Ben Nevis webcam for this time of year.
johnovey
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...