walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Clag bagging

Clag bagging

Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 pm

For baggers out there, what Munros would you suggest 'getting out of the way' on those occasional days when the weather is claggy or raining?

I'm imagining hills that take have less interesting terrain or limited views, or ones that can be done in a couple of hours from a car. Stuff like that.
nikcster

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Clag bagging

Postby al78 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:02 pm

My guess:

Ben Chonzie
Carn Na Gaim
A Bhuidheanach Beag
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm

An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

For example, I did the Aonach Eagach in clag. The drops were less scary because you couldn't see them and navigation wasn't such a problem on a ridge (apart from remembering which top you were on and to take a compass bearing before leaving). It had the added bonus of not being busy - although it was in February with no snow. Rain might make it more tricky scrambling though.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby CharlesT » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

For example, I did the Aonach Eagach in clag. The drops were less scary because you couldn't see them and navigation wasn't such a problem on a ridge (apart from remembering which top you were on and to take a compass bearing before leaving). It had the added bonus of not being busy - although it was in February with no snow. Rain might make it more tricky scrambling though.

Snap! Me too. Wet, greasy rock, no views and no-one else daft enough to be up there. We could start a group "Aonach Eagach in the clag baggers". What's not to enjoy. 🥴
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:18 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.

Aye I didn't really mean "getting out of the way" to be negative. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it. I just meant that, for instance, if I was doing South Glen Shiel ridge I'd want clear skies, but if I was going to walk up Cairnwell or something I would be less bothered.
nikcster

Postby nikcster » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:An alternative would be to do the narrow ridges, because they're still interesting with no views.

I think I'd find them more scary if anything!
nikcster

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:03 pm

Not chonzie, despite it's lowly rating amongst many folks, I enjoy the all round vista from that big isolated top, and there's some nice walking in the hills over the other side of turret resr too.

Glenshee munros ain't the most inspiring, but tbh as I'm not munro obsessed, I just head for the Donalds and Grahams on such days.

It's all good.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:48 pm

I have always liked the Cuillins on Skye when it is wet and claggy and slippy, it just knocks you out your comfort zone big time, preferably with a guide. The concentration needed to stay focused just drains you but i love it, it must have something to do with starting my hillwalking in the depths of winter many years ago.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 am

The Eastern Drumochter 3 are probably good clag bagging Munros, might still see hares and ptarmigans. They make good winter beginner hills too though. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am

nikcster wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I'm not sure there are any Munros that I'd recommend "getting out the way". Assuming "less interesting terrain" means bog, peat hags and Landrover tracks, those hills will likely be more difficult in claggy and wet conditions due to reduced visibility and burns in spate.

Aye I didn't really mean "getting out of the way" to be negative. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it. I just meant that, for instance, if I was doing South Glen Shiel ridge I'd want clear skies, but if I was going to walk up Cairnwell or something I would be less bothered.

Aye, fair enough. When I did the Munros there were hills I'd keep for deadcert good days, e.g. Beinn Alligin and An Teallach, but got clag that wasn't forecast.

:(

You definitely don't need to go out your way to get clag.

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Am Faochagach. I remember stomping up with head down, compass never out of my hand, thick clag down to the glen. Mild satisfaction at heading straight for the cairn without any casting about. On subsequently looking across to it on a clear day, thinking I hadn't missed much.
ChrisButch

Postby ChrisButch » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:10 pm

ChrisButch wrote:Am Faochagach. I remember stomping up with head down, compass never out of my hand, thick clag down to the glen. Mild satisfaction at heading straight for the cairn without any casting about. On subsequently looking across to it on a clear day, thinking I hadn't missed much.

And it does sound as if it wants to be climbed in clag.
ChrisButch

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion