walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stalking In Glen Lyon

Stalking In Glen Lyon

Postby Louisewalks » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Hello,

For any of you lovely folk planning on heading in to the Glen Lyon Munros, I've enquired about the dates I'm hoping to walk there (this month) to make sure there is no stalking happening and they have said that stalking will begin the 1st September on to the 20th October. They struggle to get back individually to everyone and ask that the area is avoided during this time which I think is understandable.
The car park will close Sept and October. They have info on their website too. Just thought to post here to save them some more email enquiries. Happy walking :)
Louisewalks
Hill Bagger

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:17   Islands:10

Re: Stalking In Glen Lyon

Postby LobeyD » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Louisewalks wrote:....which I think is understandable.

Think you may find this is not a widely held view on here. Plenty of other more enlightened estates (i.e. all of them) seem to find a way to keep stalking off the main ridges/paths and post notices for specific areas day-to-day.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tolkienabouthills » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm

Aye, there's a big part of me is inclined to say damn the estate owners and do what you want (true of all private estate owners really but this lot especially). That's perhaps a bit extreme but the Glen Lyon estate is notoriously troublesome when it comes to access so taking their instructions and dialling them down to about 50% might give you a better course of action. As far as I'm aware the access laws trump deer stalking anyway so as long as you're not getting shot at you should be alright. Now where's the guillotine emoji?
tolkienabouthills
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   Islands:2

Postby Scraggygoat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:45 pm

A particular estate in Glen Lyon has a long history in trying to ignore the Land Reform act, and an even longer history of being anti-Walker. There is nothing reasonable about their tactics and attitudes

See for example;
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-27243818

Note this was when Mountaineering Scotland tried to represent their members with strong campaigns. Contrast to recent press releases .

Many other estates manage to advertise their activities a day or two before hand; so why not here.?

The reason is if they did that it would be apparent they were trying to exclude access all the time in clear breach of the act.
Scraggygoat

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:57 pm

Chesthill Estate at least now seem to have massively improved their website. Still, their views on hillwalker access are ridiculously prohibitive and I really don't see people avoiding the area entirely for six weeks every year. This kind of behaviour coupled with P&K Council dishing out fines and the quality of the road up Glen Lyon make it an increasingly less desirable place to visit which is a shame (and presumably what the estate want) .
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Moriarty » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Louisewalks wrote:Hello,

For any of you lovely folk planning on heading in to the Glen Lyon Munros, I've enquired about the dates I'm hoping to walk there (this month) to make sure there is no stalking happening and they have said that stalking will begin the 1st September on to the 20th October. They struggle to get back individually to everyone and ask that the area is avoided during this time which I think is understandable.
The car park will close Sept and October. They have info on their website too. Just thought to post here to save them some more email enquiries. Happy walking :)

Is that confirmed somewhere?

Combined with Perth and Kinross Council's Clearway TTRO and the absence of public transport that would make it exceedingly difficult to access this area for many walkers.

PandK Council wrote:It is regrettable that the TTRO has had to be introduced. It will remain in place until the problem ceases and/or when alternative parking facilities can be agreed with landowners at the respective locations.

Discussions are ongoing with the local landowners and other parties with the aim of establishing an infrastructure that could accommodate visitor parking at these popular visitor areas.

We intend to develop a visitor management approach during the closed season and will work with stakeholders and residents to afford people access to these places whilst mitigating the impact of visitors on the ecology of the area and the quality of life of the residents.

If confirmed that would be tantamount to the council co-ordinating with the landowner to restrict accessibility. Despite the noises about working to increase infrastrure.

Not that it would be a surprise mind you.
Moriarty

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:53 pm

I'm sure Chesthill used to try to say stalking season was basically 1st September until 31st March :lol:

Closing the car park makes things a tad more challenging especially with the ticketing stuff though.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Scraggygoat » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 pm

They used to say stay off during the stag, stay off during the hind, stay off during calving, stay off during lambing…..you get the jist of it.

It won’t improve till the estate changes hands, who knows when that will be. Rich landowners have woken upto the fact councils are bust (due to under funding from Central Gov.) and have no inclination to take on legal proceedings over access, very few have access officers left, and P&K politically lean to supporting landowners, and the SNP government isn’t going to take issue over hill access (they have after all voted with the Torys against Green proposals such as taking all hill tracks into the planning system, doing so for the benefit of landowners…which tells you a lot).

That leaves MS whom take Scot Gov funding and seam to be very reluctant nowadays to do anything other than educating us.
Scraggygoat

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:34 pm

I agree, the estate are not being reasonable.
You have a legal right to responsible access, and if they won't tell you which areas they're stalking in then it's their own fault if you walk straight through it.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 pm

Moriarty wrote:
If confirmed that would be tantamount to the council co-ordinating with the landowner to restrict accessibility. Despite the noises about working to increase infrastrure.

Not that it would be a surprise mind you.

Indeed and that's pretty much what is happening. P & K have done nothing to protect access rights in this area and the landowner must be loving the help they get to restrict access. I don't think many folk have a problem with ticketing cars that are dangerously parked or causing an obstruction. But they are basically banning cars from the Glen.
The present scottish government is complicit in this and should be doing more. I never get it when they are on watch while Scotland is slowly getting turned into the place they wish to breakaway from. :?
Sunset tripper

Postby Louisewalks » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:05 pm

I posted simply to share information :roll: Attached is what I was sent through. Happy Hillwalking!
Attachments
access-panel.jpg
Louisewalks
Hill Bagger

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:17   Islands:10

Postby davekeiller » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:21 pm

Chesthill have a reputation.
It's amazing how other estates seem quite happy for walkers to go as they please all 12 months of the year.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:56 pm

I know it is tiresome and longer, but the glen is lovely if you just go in from Fortingall.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Inverasdale » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:47 am

Very rare for estates to stalk on a Sunday, almost an unwritten rule.

Probably worth someone telling the P&K Access Officer of the estate's intention to close the car park, if this is confirmed, given that this was not the prior practice. They might not be able to do anything given that it relates to parking and not foot access but I imagine they have quite a file on the estate already
Last edited by Inverasdale on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inverasdale

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 am

To be clear, we don't think Chesthill's approach to stalking restrictions, or access generally, complies with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, but having just been to check the situation around the parking, thought I should post a bit of info here (will also update the route guide).

The clearway does not run for a huge distance. There is some parking just before the start (east end) of the clearway, just E of a wee telecoms building. There is a good deal more parking just beyond the west end of the clearway, in a layby on the S side of the road. Both would involve around a mile of road walking each way.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion