walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fara - third time lucky

The Fara - third time lucky

Postby Strathlassie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Route description: The Fara, Dalwhinnie

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 20/08/2021

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 13 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We've attempted to climb up The Fara twice on our way south to Glasgow but the weather was always dreary but yesterday we were lucky.

We'd been reading about the closure of the railway crossing at Dalwhinnie so the route described by several people on this site, and in the SMC guide, wasn't feasible. We'd climbed Meall nan Eagan a few weeks ago and spied a track up the side of the Fara and so we'd decided to go up this way.

Consequently we parked at the start of the footpath to Coachan Woods and followed the forest track to where we thought the turning was up to the deer fence and hence the farm track. This was great easy walking. We veered off uphill through the woods following the green and white path signs. So far so good. Eventually we reached the deer fence and walked along it hoping to come across a stile. No stile! The land owners certainly don't want you crossing this fence. My other half managed to climb over - he's a foot taller than me but I walked on until the fence was a little lower and then managed to climb over. We walked across the tussocky ground for about one hundred metres before we reached the farm track. This petered out eventually at a turning circle. From here it was a gentle uphill along the ridge - lovely heathery grass, hardly any wet patches. A huge summit cairn at the top.

On the way down we debated about whether to carry on along the path and cross via the ford, hence getting our boots wet and then return to the car via the road. But we decided to take the direct route and head for the fence. This time we found a gate!!! There was even a path down through the woods via a fire break to the forest track where there was a wooden bench. So if you're going up via this route, look out for the wooden bench and head up the fire track.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

the gate.jpg
The gate we didn't find going up
the correct path up.jpg
The correct fire break up
turning circle at the end of the  track.jpg
Turning circle at the end of the farm track
the path along the ridge 2.jpg
The path along the ridge
the path along the ridge.jpg
The path along the ridge
summit cairn.jpg
Summit cairn
Strathlassie
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:116
Fionas:109   Donalds:8

Re: The Fara - third time lucky

Postby steverabone » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:19 pm

I believe the problem at Dalwhinnie level crossing can be relatively easily overcome by walking south from Dalwhinnie on the A889 and then past the Ben Alder Cottages and under the railway underpass there to rejoin the normal path just beyond the level crossing. It's not a great deal further and giving the sighting problems at the level crossing especially for southbound trains is probably not such a bad idea.

Your description of the alternative route is interesting and one I had thought of using for the return on my own walk in 2020.
steverabone

Munros:190   Corbetts:41
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:38

Postby gld73 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:14 pm

I like this sort of report - nice and useful to know how to avoid clambering over a deer fence :lol: . Like you, I'd seen that possible route up The Fara when doing Meall nan Eagan, I've only done it from the 'usual' level crossing start point before so will give this a try next time, thanks.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Strathlassie » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm

gld73 wrote:I like this sort of report - nice and useful to know how to avoid clambering over a deer fence :lol: . Like you, I'd seen that possible route up The Fara when doing Meall nan Eagan, I've only done it from the 'usual' level crossing start point before so will give this a try next time, thanks.

I remember reading your report on Meall nan Eagan and posting a comment to you that we couldn't get up the glen. Having successfully climbed the hill a few weeks ago, I can't believe how ridiculously stupid we had been and we had failed to make it to the top! hat a beautiful hill - the views from the top were magnificent.
Strathlassie
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:116
Fionas:109   Donalds:8

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland