walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

A9

A9

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:03 pm

Good news for a change - the A9 roadworks north of Perth are now complete, the 40mph speed limit is now history.

Only another 60 or so miles left to dual, no obvious signs of any future works.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A9

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:34 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Good news for a change - the A9 roadworks north of Perth are now complete, the 40mph speed limit is now history. Only another 60 or so miles left to dual, no obvious signs of any future works.

Huzzah! I spent a very long sweltering day in a jam there, during that July heatwave. I thought I'd be smart and avoid the A82 from Glasgow heading to Skye, the A9 would be much faster - HA! Took me about seven hours. As for 40mph limit; also HA! A very slow walking pace, or just stopped.
Never mind, have a nice picture taken in November eleven years ago. Maybe we'll get an icy winter again, from the start of November to the end of April.
Foula November 2010 042.jpg
Foula, Nov. 2010.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Gigha » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:45 am

No sign of the next stage of dualling starting [Moy - Tomatin I believe]

I thought the whole project was supposed to be completed by 2025, will be interesting to see if some stages get quietly dropped now the Greens are having a say in things.
Gigha
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:213   Donalds:89+43
Sub 2000:60   Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:106   Islands:30

Postby Backpacker » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:01 am

Gigha wrote:No sign of the next stage of dualling starting [Moy - Tomatin I believe]

I thought the whole project was supposed to be completed by 2025, will be interesting to see if some stages get quietly dropped now the Greens are having a say in things.

They've started the procurement process

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/next-stage-of-a9-dualling-procurement-gets-underway/

Not sure why this wasn't lined up read to go once the Birnam section was completed
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:58 am

I was talking to someone recently who is on this project or has input to it and he stated it will not be finished in 20 years time as there is a lot of unknown factors, a bit like the Edinburgh tram system.
When you look at it, it has taken 3 years to do 6 miles of road and that was the easiest part and the most challenging part is still to come.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gld73 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:34 pm

Some work has started related to the Moy-Tomatin stretch, it's just more to do with necessary changes to nearby rail infrastructure before work on the main road starts (you see the entrance to the works when passing Lynebeg).
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Gigha » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:56 pm

gld73 wrote:Some work has started related to the Moy-Tomatin stretch, it's just more to do with necessary changes to nearby rail infrastructure before work on the main road starts (you see the entrance to the works when passing Lynebeg).

Are you certain about that, I think those works were associated with the transmission line upgrade in the area and is now an access point for another wind farm.
Gigha
Munro compleatist

Fionas:213   Donalds:89+43
Sub 2000:60   Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:106   Islands:30

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm

Gigha wrote:No sign of the next stage of dualling starting [Moy - Tomatin I believe]

I wouldn't mind if they did pull the plug on the A9 dualling. I'd much rather see the A82 Inverness to Fort William overhauled, though not sure what can really be done with it given the terrain. I believe it's now statistically the deadliest road in Scotland. I'd like to see the A96 and A86 sorted too before the A9.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:36 pm

Gigha wrote:
gld73 wrote:Some work has started related to the Moy-Tomatin stretch, it's just more to do with necessary changes to nearby rail infrastructure before work on the main road starts (you see the entrance to the works when passing Lynebeg).

Are you certain about that, I think those works were associated with the transmission line upgrade in the area and is now an access point for another wind farm.

Apparently the work that gld73 mentioned is to create a temporary access route beneath the railway, as the small underbridge at that point is getting replaced with something bigger. I think there will be a slip road somewhere around here in the future.
https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/the-mole-gets-to-work-on-a9-dualling-project-249937/
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Robert Haynes » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:48 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they did pull the plug on the A9 dualling. I'd much rather see the A82 Inverness to Fort William overhauled, though not sure what can really be done with it given the terrain. I believe it's now statistically the deadliest road in Scotland. I'd like to see the A96 and A86 sorted too before the A9.

Based on traffic volumes, the A9 doesn't really warrant end-to-end dualling. By comparison, the A96 from Inverness to Nairn does, and Nairn has been in dire need of a bypass (not necessarily dual carriageway) for decades. But the A9 project has symbolic importance to the Scottish Government that other routes lack.
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Tringa » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:49 pm

It is a long time since I drove the A9(Perth to Inverness) and I always did it in the early morning so the lack of dual carriage wasn't much of a problem, but there will be a lot more traffic now.

Agree about the A96. Considering it connects the two largest urban centres in northern Scotland it is an appalling main road.
If I had to drive from Aberdeen to Inverness again I'd do what I did last time and go via Lecht - a quicker road and much more pleasant a drive.

Dave
Tringa

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:51 pm

Robert Haynes wrote:
iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:

Based on traffic volumes, the A9 doesn't really warrant end-to-end dualling. By comparison, the A96 from Inverness to Nairn does, and Nairn has been in dire need of a bypass (not necessarily dual carriageway) for decades. But the A9 project has symbolic importance to the Scottish Government that other routes lack.

Good to hear another section is completed.
The extension at Crubenmore and the new bit north of Kingussie has made a welcome and noticeable difference to the A9. I also doubt if it will be completed on time - governments rarely deliver on timescales or budgets. Another 2 or 3 sections completed in the next 5 years will be very welcome though.

From Inverness going east, instead of the A96 best to use the backroad Inverness to Auldearn via Cawdor which is far quicker. Could be more than half an hour quicker - Nairn is a nightmare at times and best avoided completely. :D

Screenshot_20210906-143914_Maps.jpg
Sunset tripper

Postby Robert Haynes » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Nairn is a nightmare at times and best avoided completely. :D

Good advice for life, that - not just journey planning! :lol:
Robert Haynes
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby gld73 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Gigha wrote:

https://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/mole-cuts-through-railway-embankment-in-preparation-for-the-249539/

The Glen Kyllachy wind farm access is just a little further along the road.

But I agree with other posts that a Nairn bypass and upgrading the A82 between Inverness and Fort William (an engineering challenge!) would be preferable!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:11 am

Robert Haynes wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:Nairn is a nightmare at times and best avoided completely. :D

Good advice for life, that - not just journey planning! :lol:

Hard to argue with that. :D
Sunset tripper

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion