walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Flying solo for a change

Flying solo for a change

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 10/09/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 673m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With George and Parminder being unavailable I decided to head out all by myself, so where to go - the usual problem.
I opted for Geal Charn as I didn't think George and Parminder would fancy being dragged/forced to wander up it again. As it is almost 20 years since my last visit and I don't remember anything about it, so I did my usual research and one thing I did notice was that there haven't been any reports for Geal Charn for a couple of years. As we know things do change over a couple of years, fences appear, bridges disappear paths become eroded etc.
The only reason I am making this post live is because there are no recent reports for Geal Charn on it's own.
I arrived at the parking area about 9am and noticed there were 2 cars parked already. I would meet both parties after covering about 4km and as usual I had a wee chat with them all.
I have just realised Geal Charn was my 50th Munro this year and definitely one of the easiest.

Garva Bridge from the parking area

The River Spey

Looking the other way

Parking area

Looking back at the bridge and parking area

The burn that the path will follow uphill, not much water in it - taken from the metal bridge that is used to cross it

The view the other way

The way ahead

The path is fairly good and easy to follow until the boulders are reached on or near the summit plateau area

Way ahead

Low cloud on the cards yet again

Looking back

Plenty of berries on the trees

A fairly well trodden path

The view up the glen - not on the walk agenda though

Another photo further up

What remains of the style, the fence is also showing signs of wear with so many walkers straddling it

Geal Charn hiding in the the cloud

Looking back

The burn continues in a different direction and the path meets one of it's tributaries that has to be crossed

Looking back, also shows how obvious the path is

Looking back - just before the cloud closes in and get's rid of the view

Still going up, the ascent is fairly gradual and because it was very humid - energy sapping

As soon as I was on the open moorland I was constantly pestered by keds, they were either landing on my neck or my bare arms. I am not sure they bite but they are very annoying and I am not a fan of anything crawling over me and I did cull one or two.

Looking back, bit of a view of the moorland

If you look really carefully you may spot the cairn on the summit

There it is

And again

Still getting the hang of this selfie lark

Descending now and I was convinced that the cloud was lifting

The way down and ahead

I opted to have my lunch after the majority of the descending was done, picked a nice comfy rock and it wasn't long before I heard a buzzing nearby - I looked behind me and there was a rather large swarm of midges, so I grabbed my final brioche & quickly continued my descent munching on the go.

Water feature - with not a lot of water

This is the river crossing spot - could be a bit more difficult after days of rain

Local flora, I had to get on my hands and knees to get this photo as the petals are pointing down the way

This blurb is near the bridge

Here are a few bonus photo's, I made a few stops on the way back to Laggan as the views were quite impressive, certainly better than the grey stuff when you are in clouds.

Man made canal type feature that links the reservoir to Loch Crunachdan

Looking the other way, I stopped on the bridge on the way home to take the photo's

I have to say the drive along the single track road from Laggan to Garva Bridge is on one the better single track roads, visibility is pretty good for the majority of the time.

A defunct bridge - looks quite cute though

The western end of the reservoir, water levels like most lochs are pretty low

The reservoir, not even a slight ripple on the surface

Looking west

North

This turned out to be much better than I expected, just a shame the little flying things tried to spoil the day.
Unfortunately we won't have many more weeks to tackle Munro's especially as the majority all involve a 3 hour drive each way, Hopefully I will compleat my 2nd round next year alongside Parminder who will be compleating his first.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Flying solo for a change

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:50 pm

That was a surprise FF - I've never been attacked by keds anywhere other than the hills much further west.

I think you posted this report as you had a photo of a car park with no campervans in it :wink:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland