walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A visit to the Rogie Falls at last

A visit to the Rogie Falls at last

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm

Route description: Rogie and Contin forests circuit, near Contin

Date walked: 23/05/2021

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 7.63 km

Ascent: 197m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet another day of feeling rubbish, although we had managed to do some cycling the previous day. I’ve driven past the Rogie Falls so many times and always meant to visit – today was the day. We decided to park in Contin to hopefully give us a quieter walk.

It was an easy stroll along forestry paths to begin with – there were plenty of folk out but we didn’t see many once we’d left the car park. The views out through the trees were lovely

The path started climbing more steeply along the side of a smaller burn – slow going but I was coping. Malky said he and his parents had managed to get lost along here years ago but we didn’t have any issues!

To reach the Rogie Falls we had to leave the main track and follow a smaller path down towards the falls themselves. This is where all the people were :lol:

Rogie Falls – impressive 8)

Across the bridge we found somewhere to sit for a break away from all the people, before I found somewhere else to take waterfall photos from :lol:

We slowly retraced our steps back to the main track before branching off shortly uphill – we decided to vary the return route with a visit to Loch na Crann, which was a lovely spot for another breather

After a while we continued along a smaller path to the boathouse (a bit rickety)

Rather than retrace our steps again we picked up a smaller path through the trees which turned out to be a mountain bike trail

Back on the main path it was a lovely forestry walk with some unfortunate uphill sections that Malky helped by pushing me up :lol: The Wyvises were just peeking out over the forest

New growth spurting out of this tree!

“View rock” with views down to Sgurr a’ Mhuillin

From here the path was much more downhill which made me a bit happier :lol: We could see Cnoc Mor & Knock Farrell above Strathpeffer through the trees before the path bent back around towards the car park

Torr Achilty :shock:

Soon we were back at the car – not really a good day for me but lovely to visit some impressive waterfalls!
Attachments

activity_6829878881.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A visit to the Rogie Falls at last

Postby Sgurr » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Drove past these so many times in a hurry to somewhere else, "We must see these sometime." Sometime never came until we finally stayed in Contin and did them at the fag end of a day. Well worth a visit. I think you know about the Marilyn behind Strathpeffer, if I thought you didn't, I'd get out the book and look up its name, but another very short day from Contin. Even shorter is the coffee and ice cream shop in Strathpeffer.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:25 pm

Yup, worth going to see them and a nice area in which to go for a wander. A good few years ago we were staying a couple of nights in Strathpeffer (between weeks in Gairloch and Coylumbridge) and walked to the falls from there - much better than trying to park in the often very busy car park - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:17 pm

The falls have been busy this year. We drove past the Rogie car park many times on trips to Torridon and Assynt, it was always packed to bursting.

We used to pick mushrooms in Contin but about 5 years ago the place was discovered by commercial pickers. Hard to find anything now and whatever is growing close to paths was peed on by countless dogs (maybe by their owners, too, who knows :lol: :lol: ). But it' still a nice area to wander about.

I hope you leave the horrible long Covid behind eventually. It must be so hard to stay away from the big hills for so long. Kevin had to take a few weeks off (he cracked a rib) and now he's already showing signs of madness (mountain withdrawal syndrome?). I think we're all addicted to some extent...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland