walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue with SHC

Ben Venue with SHC

Postby Chantal » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 17/10/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 729m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Met the SHC members for my first walk with them. Set off at 0900 to ascend Ben Venue. The weather was very drizzly but remained warm which led me to removing layers early on. The path took a few turns at the beginning and crossing a forestry road. I chatted to a few of thw men on the walk, trying hard to remember names. There was 9 other walkers on this walk.

We stopped for a short tea break at 1100 next to a lovely waterfall. I managed to squeeze in my first sandwich which drew everyones attention as they all had something light. We moved on making our way to the top. There was a couple of areas with really boggy ground but everyone made it accross ok. Nearer the top it was very rocky in parts causing a bit of scrambling.

We reached the cairn at 1200. I thought for a moment this was the top before we moved on again. This was not the top but we did have to descend a bit before climbing up another side to the top of Ben Venue.

We reached this summit at 1220 so only 20 minutes between the peaks. This is where we had our stop for lunch. I ate my other sandwich with some tea. I didnt take note of the time we set off back down but think it must have been around 1300.

We had a good walk down and i got chatting to a few of the female members. Still trying hard to remember the names but a few are eluding me.we made it back down to the car park at 1500 so 6hrs in total for the walk. Not bad for getting back into it.

All in all a good walk, well apart from the weather which remained drizzly throught the day.
20211017_103441.jpg
Chantal

Munros:8   
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland