walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The not so well Cairnwell

The not so well Cairnwell

Postby jonny616 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 18/09/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 620m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left Glasgow bright & sparky under clear skies for the wet clag of Glenshee.

Group asembled & on the hill for 9:45 & at 10:15 find ourselves at the top of our first munro of the day!
DSC00578a.JPG
Pano from ascent of Carn Aosda
DSC00579a.JPG
Summit Carn Aosda with view

Followed the route on this great site & as it says steep ascent. Meet a couple of guys at the top who kindly took a group shot Before we did same for them headed of to Carn a Gheoidh. Once off the main Aosda/Cairwell ridge this is the most pleasent part of the walk & thats without any views as there was no let up in the clag. You can either follow the track towards the cairnwell & turn of at the crest of the ridge or take a path about 200 meters earlier, which is a bit boggy but means you are not totaly retracing your steps later on. We took the boggy path.
DSC00582a.JPG
From Aosda towards Carn a Gheoidh
DSC00583a.JPG

11:45 summit number two.
DSC00585a.JPG
Carn a Gheoidh (self portrait with view)

On the way to The Cairnwell managed to lose the path, which is no mean feet when you see it & a quick baring took us back. 13:15 third summit of the day, which felt strange with all the ski & phone stuff.
DSC00590a.JPG
The Cairwell Summit with view

The notes say no path down pick a spot & aim for the buildings. Looked down at one point just to the left of the chair lift way too steep so went a bit further & then straight down at the car inb 20 mins. Then Haha soup & magners in the cafe.

All in all 3 hours 50mins including stops etc. A nice easy walk if you ignor the ski stuff with no doubt great views in fine weather. If you take hill hobbits with you a great oppertunity for them to bag three munros & i will soon be back with mine.

A quick note on irony, this is the first munro in 65 that i could not get a mobile signal on :lol:
DSC00591a.JPG
Madmax world of The Cairnwell
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: The not so well Cairnwell

Postby skuk007 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Nice report jonny, shame about the weather. You all look pretty soaked in those group shots, but most of you are stil smiling. Looks like a nice quick way to get three more 'ticks' on the list.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby jonny616 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:20 pm

Cheers Skuk

It is nice and easy. Not as far from Glasgow as i thought & there are another 6 accesable from the area, although a bit of a treck from your neck of the woods.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby neilfowlie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:21 pm

That last photo does look as it is from a horror film Jonny. :D It is a shame about the weather as the views on a good day I bet are awesome from there. Oh well, I suppose that's just part and parcel of hill walking.
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:40 am

Massive LOL to the no phone signal on Cairnwell summit! :lol: I don't mind things like masts on hills personally... Shame everyone misses the very beautiful top of Carn Binnein though - although given the weather you looked to be having, it probably wouldn't have been worth it in your case.
mountain coward

Postby jonny616 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi MC

Still smilling about the signal myself. As i said i will be doing these again with my kids in better weather, so will hopefully take in the hill you mentioned then.

regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby pedro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:32 pm

It was my old boy who took your picture at the top on Carn Aosda.
My pics I took that day on my camera phone are not worth printing!
It was a pretty miserable day but it was 3 fairly easy Munros in the bag.
Next time, I reckon we'll head over the other side and do some of the Munros there...
pedro
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby jonny616 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 am

pedro wrote:It was my old boy who took your picture at the top on Carn Aosda.
My pics I took that day on my camera phone are not worth printing!
It was a pretty miserable day but it was 3 fairly easy Munros in the bag.
Next time, I reckon we'll head over the other side and do some of the Munros there...

Hi Pedro

Well thanks for the pic. We all enjoyed the day due to ease. we picked it because our previous walk was the south glen shiel ridge, so we diserved an easy day. I think we will do the ones on the other side as part of next years plan. Doing 2 of the black mount munro's at the end of October & i'm of to Torridon for a few days with the family so only one bagging day.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland