walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

The Cobbler, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Postby seamus0 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 23/09/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We set off yesterday with a rather gloomy weather forecast of "persistent rain". The drive didnt inspire us either, as the roads were like rivers. However when we arrived at Arrochar at about 10am the rain had stopped and it could go either way. Therefore kitted up for the worst of weather we started our jaunt from the carpark at the other side of Loch Long from Arrochar (you have to pay £1 for a day's parking! Take change with you as I think the guy at the petrol station wasnt impressed giving change out from a tenner!) Anyway, the walk starts from across the road of the car park. A well defined path is the starting point with "Argyle Forest Park" sign at the start. Follow this relatively new track which ziz-zags up through the forest. in no time, you will reach the Weir/dam just at the end of the forest (280051).
P9230124.JPG
Dam

From here its a slow climb following the Allt a' Bhalachain towards the Bealach between The cobbler and Beinn Narnain. You should get good views of both at this stage.
P9230125.JPG
The Cobbler

Follow the path up which veres left up the eastern side of the cobbler.
P9230127.JPG
Path Up cobbler

I dont know if there are names for some of the rocky outcrops or not, but several of them looked like dogs faces....
P9230132.JPG
Is this a dog?

The track is easily followed and you should arrive on the shoulder between the 2 peaks. The top of the Cobbler is reached going left to the Pinnacle. Again to climb it properly, you need to go through the hole and climb up the pinnicle. I decided not to do it this time :-(
P9230138a.JPG
The Cobbler hole

It should take around 2.5-3 hrs to get to the top. From here you can see Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime and the route quite clearly.
P9230141.JPG
Beinn Narnain from The cobbler

P9230142.JPG
Beinn Ime from The cobbler

Go down the back of the Cobbler on the North side, a set of well defined steps takes you down to the Bealach and the path goes up Beinn Ime or Beinn Narnain, or you can follow it back down again the way you came up. We dicided to go up Beinn Ime first. This is an easy walk up 350m of a gentle slope to reach the top of the fist Munro of the day!
P9230158.JPG
Beinn Ime Top

From here we got good views of Loch Arklet (I think), and Loch Katrine.
P9230152.JPG
Loch Arklet and Katrine

P9230146.JPG
Beinn Narnain from Beinn Ime

From here, decend the way you came up and follow the path up Beinn narnain. Again this is easy goingwith about 300m climb to the top of the second Munro.
P9230167.JPG
Top of Beinn Narnain

P9230164.JPG
Beinn Ime from Beinn Narnain

The path carries on SE quite steeply in places. I wouldn't regard it as a scramble down, but a bit of rock holding is required. however care should be taken.
P9230177.JPG
Path down Beinn Narnain

P9230181.JPG
Tricky bit

The path carries on winding down in a Se direction towards Arrochar. There are spots in the path that were a bit wet, given the amount of rainfall it had the night before it wasnt surprising, but some of the areas further down were quite boggy. Eventually you'll get good views of the village.
P9230188.JPG
Arrochar from Beinn Narnain path

following the stream and descending through the trees, the path arrives back at the start. This is a good day's walk if you get the views, and the 2 Munros can be easily bagged, with an excellent Corbett and some scrambling on the cobbler (if you dare!) Highly recommend it!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: The Cobbler, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Postby Craiging619 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Good report. So all 3 can be easily done in the day then? I was up there earlier this month with a couple of mates, and after descending from The Cobbler to the col, we had a vote on whether to climb Narnain or head for the restaurant in Arrochar for a leisurely steak pie - the steak pie won 2 to 1!

Possibly a wise decision on your part to evade the tricky issue of The Cobbler summit this time...

seamus0 wrote:I dont know if there are names for some of the rocky outcrops or not, but several of them looked like dogs faces....

I'm with you on that one.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Re: The Cobbler, Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Postby seamus0 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Yep, for easily bagging munros, once you've done the cobbler (a corbett), the 2 munros are very easy once you're up at that height, and the path is easy to follow so you shouldn't go wrong. you dont even have to face the dodgy steep bit on the SE face of Beinn Narnain just retrace your steps and you can go back down the way you came up. My view is they can be done easily in bad weather as there is limited navigation involved apart from deciding which direction to follow the path. But then again, I think if the weather was bad and someone suggests pies and beer my commitment might wander also !:-)
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland