walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The last Welsh Nuttall

The last Welsh Nuttall

Postby jonathan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:10 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Mynydd Graig Goch

Date walked: 04/09/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Saturday 4th September my wife Nicola and myself with our friends Gary and Gary climbed Mynydd Graig Goch at the western end of the Nantlle ridge and finished the Welsh Nuttalls. We duly celebrated with a bottle of Purple Moose Snowdonia ale. :D

For those who you who don’t know the Nuttalls are the hills (mountains) of England and Wales that are over 2000 ft (610m) which have a relative height of 15m. Hewitts are also hills over 2000 ft which have a relative height of 30m. There are currently 190 Welsh Nuttalls; although with the current craze of measuring the heights of our mountains with the most accurate equipment known to man who's to say this number wont shortly change! :lol:

We decided it would be a short walk taking in MGG and Garnedd-goch only, rather than do the whole Nantlle ridge, so we could make the most of the liquid refreshments on offer at the Bryn Tyrch Inn, in Capel, where we were staying for the weekend.

We made a circular walk of it starting from a minor road (SH474500) with the aim of ascending Garnedd-goch first.

All set to go with the two hills in the background, Mynydd Graig Goch to the right

Pretty straightforward walk really. A path climbs up the NW flank of G-g which eventually contours round to a wall before the bwlch that separates the two hills. Turn left and follow the path and wall to the summit.

MGG on the way up G-g

Refreshments on the top of G-g

Beyond the rest of the ridge; then Snowdon, Lliwedd and Yr Aran

Looking back to G-g from the slopes of MGG

Then it was return to the bwlch and climb MGG; shortly afterwards we reached the top of MGG. I say the top ‘cos this hill has several rocky tors all vying to be the highest. Which ones the actual top we asked; well I guess we’ll have to scramble up all of ‘em. So on top of what we thought was the highest we took some photos and cracked open the Snowdonia Ale!! :D

For me it was a quest that took 27 years having climbed Tryfan for the first time in 1983. For Nicola it took slightly less time, starting in the Brecon’s around 1994/5 doing DOE for her school.

Back then we wernt bagging the hills over 2000ft but just out enjoying our love of climbing the hills of the UK. However in the last few years after buying the books we realised we’d done over half of the Welsh hills so it was obvious to bag the rest, especially as it would take us to many areas we hadn’t been to before. And whilst tick lists arnt for some therein lies there appeal for me; the days we've spent on the Berwyns, the Eastern Arans and the Arenigs have been some of the most memorable even if we havnt seen more than a handful of people each day.

We’ve had a marvelous time and whilst our trips to the Welsh hills will become less frequent in the next couple of years as we finish off the English Nuttalls and make trips to Scotland to climb more Munros, who’s to say a second round won’t be on the cards!! :?
jonathan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:11   Donalds:38
Hewitts:299
Wainwrights:214   

Re: The last Welsh Nuttall

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:21 am

Congratulations... I did more or less the same walk for that hill and a couple of its neighbours... was very rocky on top! I never knew it was a Nuttall at the time though - just wanted to do all the Nantlles
mountain coward

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:38 am

Well done, love climbing in Wales, I bet the beer tasted very sweet that day, good luck on the English ones :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby mountain tortoise » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Have you tried 'The dark side of the Moose'?
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby agentmancuso » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Well done. I've never quite managed to even get to Wales yet...
agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby jonathan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:10 am

"dark side of the moose"; oh yes. whenever we're in N Wales we pop over to Portmadog to the purple moose brewery and pick up a mixed case of their bottled beers.
jonathan
Munro compleatist

Postby john923 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:17 pm

Yes, congratulations. We're a long way behind, with about a quarter of them done, but would really like to get the set eventually. Btw, the Nuttalls seemed to find the southern Berwyns a bit of a chore - what did you think?
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby jonathan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks!

Well the S Berwyns arnt the sexiest of mountains. To the east of the pass its probably inaccurate to refer to them as hills; its just one large hilly area with undulations. They do have a beauty of their own though. Cefn Gwyntog is the furthest from the forestry track and when you reach it you really feel as though you are in a remote place; and you know that there arnt many people that visit these hills. But for me thats part of their appeal.
jonathan
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland