walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A KICK IN THE BUACHILLE'S

A KICK IN THE BUACHILLE'S

Postby JB likes a beer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my 30th birthday weekend,decided to do the buachaille and along the ridge,this had been planned for a while by me,alan s and gammy leg walker. i woke up thursday morning feeling a bit wheezy in the chest :sick: but thought nothing of it as i am rarely unwell. so got the gear in the car and headed for alan s. gammy leg couldnt make the trip(would do this again mate) .left his house at 7.50am and arrived at glencoe by 9.20am at the large carpark altnafeadh,geared up and set off at 9.30am .we followed the track down and over the bridge over the river coupall passed by the climbers cottage at lagangarbh and continued on the track taking the fork to the right there is an obvious path up the gully ,after about 30mins of walking i felt like i had ran out of breath really struggling to keep up pace with alan s,who is usually on a par with me, after many stops on way up the gully and a handfull of jellybabies i stumbled onto the bealach alan s was waiting for me :clap: ,i had a breather and headed up the pink boulders to the summit of stob dearg (2hrs)( weather report had been way off as we were expecting torrential rain all we had was very strong winds ),really felt this one and now blame the wife for giving me man flu :lol: ,after loads of photos and looking across the rannoch moor and nwest to aonach eagach and having another top up of grub,we headed along the ridge to stob na doire with amazing views surronding us,we dropped off stob na doire (what a drop :wtf:) and followed the very obvious path to stob coire altrium ,the ridge leads onto the summit of stob na broige there is a small shelter next to the cairn me and alan s sheltered from the strong winds for some warm soup then headed back to the foot of stob coire altrium where the path decsends to the left down into the lairig gartain ,in some places the path disappears due to large slabs of boulders but cross them and find the path ,cross the river coupall which was quite low today and a new path leads back to a carpark 1/2km from altnafeadh carpark (6hrs40min),we stopped into the kingshouse for a pint and steak and chips , a great day but i was found out by the flu or birthday weekend drink a real kick in the buachaille's for me :roll:
024.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG
alan s ,pulling away
027.JPG
033.JPG
alan s on summit
035.JPG
036.JPG
040.JPG
043.JPG
really windy ,all my hair is blown to the back haha
044.JPG
047.JPG
view across rannoch
050.JPG
view along ridge to stob na doire
052.JPG
054.JPG
view along to stob na broige
056.JPG
view back along whole ridge to stob dearg
058.JPG
me and alan s ,jammed in shelter at cairn,spot WW2 helmet
059.JPG
061.JPG
on the path down into lairig gartain
062.JPG
063.JPG
064.JPG
not 2 deer at kingshouse after walk
065.JPG
one last photo before drive home
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: A KICK IN THE BUACHILLE'S

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Looks like you had a fine day JB,you and alan s a bit too close there for my liking mate. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Think you may need a comb over very soon mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:16 pm

MMMM..... Beer, steak n chips (heaven)

Some crackin' pictures there JB!!

Pic 34 is so poignant, love it.

Hope you're feeling better :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:31 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you had a fine day JB,you and alan s a bit too close there for my liking mate. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
bit of a squeeze in that shelter m8 ,nae brokeback mountain going on here trust me :D
Think you may need a comb over very soon mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah getting thinner mate soon be like your napper :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:59 am

Merry-walker wrote:MMMM..... Beer, steak n chips (heaven)

Some crackin' pictures there JB!!

Pic 34 is so poignant, love it.

Hope you're feeling better :)

thanks merry walker,feeling worse actually but on the mend. food and drink was superb :D
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby Alan S » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 am

Excellant detailed report there mate,keep em coming :)
Glad you enjoyed your birthday,wish we were out the day 8) .Wheres that gammy leg he's usually on about now he better not have sneaked out again :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:29 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you had a fine day JB,you and alan s a bit too close there for my liking mate.

:shock: .... and one of them sporting a dodgy looking helmet as well! :lol:

Cracking report with eye catching (or should that be eye watering?) title. :lol:

It's one of the great equations of life, the E=MC2 of the hill world...... man flu + excessive birthday related beer intake = dodgy hill performance. :( Still, there's not much that steak and chips washed down with a pint or two cannot put right....
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you had a fine day JB,you and alan s a bit too close there for my liking mate.

:shock: .... and one of them sporting a dodgy looking helmet as well! :lol:

Cracking report with eye catching (or should that be eye watering?) title. :lol:

It's one of the great equations of life, the E=MC2 of the hill world...... man flu + excessive birthday related beer intake = dodgy hill performance. :( Still, there's not much that steak and chips washed down with a pint or two cannot put right....

cheers graeme,had a chuckle writing the title :lol: ,alan s sporting the ww2 helmet ,a cold carlsberg and medium steak with chips certainly made me feel better :o
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby JB likes a beer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 pm

alan s wrote:Excellant detailed report there mate,keep em coming :)
Glad you enjoyed your birthday,wish we were out the day 8) .Wheres that gammy leg he's usually on about now he better not have sneaked out again :lol:

chhers m8, yeah weather been good since thursday dont think i could have made a walk noo, gammy will sneak a report nothing surer :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 pm

alan s @JB when you two were still in your farter I was on my way down to White Comb and The Grey Mares tail on my 2nd navigation course of the week,which may I add none of you two could be bothered doing :lol: :lol: seams like I will be doing all the navigation for you two lazy buggers from now on in,just don"t walk away from me when I bend down to put away my water or camera (mind you when i see that pic of you two, bending down in your company will be the last thing i will do) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby JB likes a beer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:11 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:alan s @JB when you two were still in your farter I was on my way down to White Comb and The Grey Mares tail on my 2nd navigation course of the week,which may I add none of you two could be bothered doing :lol: :lol: seams like I will be doing all the navigation for you two lazy buggers from now on in,just don"t walk away from me when I bend down to put away my water or camera (mind you when i see that pic of you two, bending down in your company will be the last thing i will do) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ooooooooooooooooh white comb and grey mares tail :lol:, gladly let u navigate for a change mate :shock: ,need to keep this flu bug though so i can go at your pace :D :lol: :lol: :lol: .
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland