walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

When can you claim the Munro

Re: When can you claim the Munro

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:I met a man on my final Donald who said he was a "flaneur". I had to look it up

Surprised you didn't know the word, what with you being bookshop-ish. We vaguely know a couple round the corner from us who amble about locally in an amiable fashion - when we see them coming we always say "Ah, les flaneurs!"

There also used to be an entertaining thing on Twitter called, I think, The Edinburgh Flaneur - someone who wandered around posh bits of the Old Town and New Town taking pictures of fancy cars and front doors etc with captions along the lines of how the owners were roughing it.

PS - Happy new year everyone!
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Dave Hewitt wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I met a man on my final Donald who said he was a "flaneur". I had to look it up

Surprised you didn't know the word, what with you being bookshop-ish. We vaguely know a couple round the corner from us who amble about locally in an amiable fashion - when we see them coming we always say "Ah, les flaneurs!"

There also used to be an entertaining thing on Twitter called, I think, The Edinburgh Flaneur - someone who wandered around posh bits of the Old Town and New Town taking pictures of fancy cars and front doors etc with captions along the lines of how the owners were roughing it.

I think I DID really know it, but it was so much out of context that I thought it might have an additional meaning. Would it be the new town flaneur ? https://www.instagram.com/newtownflaneur/?hl=en or https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/special-features/gallery/ten-funniest-tweets-edinburghs-new-15096133 I love "The organic broccoli won't harvest itself"
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby gav777 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:51 pm

From sea level or it doesn't count.

If you are on a ridge or plateau and wish to 'cheat', I may be lenient and allow the required ascent between two hills to equal the equivalent sea level ascent, by running up and down repeatedly between the two to make up the numbers.

Continuous rounds obviously have to be done alphabetically.
gav777
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:17
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:16

Postby Booga » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:05 pm

You can only claim a Munro if you are a direct descendent of Sir Hugh Munro. Otherwise it can't be called Munro bagging, just sparkling mountaineering! :lol:
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby gav777 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:20 pm

That's very true - the closest I can get to that esteemed and pure approach on my sea level ascents, is to dress like him as much as possible, cultivate the same facial hair and only answer to the name Hugh / Mr Munro whilst on the hill.
gav777
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:17
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:16

Postby Dave Hewitt » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:37 pm

Sgurr wrote:Would it be the new town flaneur ?

Yes, that'll be the one - I've only ever seen bits/bobs as I'm not on social media bar a few forums such as this.
I love "The organic broccoli won't harvest itself"

That's the basic idea - the terrible hardships of having to forage for food in Waitrose etc.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Glengavel » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Dave Hewitt wrote:

I think I DID really know it, but it was so much out of context that I thought it might have an additional meaning. Would it be the new town flaneur ? https://www.instagram.com/newtownflaneur/?hl=en or https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/special-features/gallery/ten-funniest-tweets-edinburghs-new-15096133 I love "The organic broccoli won't harvest itself"

Sadly the New Town Flaneur's Twitter account no longer exists, rumour is he was run out of town after he was spotted shopping in Sainsburys.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Franko84 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:42 pm

IMO you can only claim a munro if you have balanced on the cairn/trig point like a ballerina so that your whole body is above the highest point. Planking would also be acceptable.
Franko84
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:8
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rgallie » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:14 pm

Unless you start from the equator it does not count.
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby CharlesT » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:02 pm

Franko84 wrote:IMO you can only claim a munro if you have balanced on the cairn/trig point like a ballerina so that your whole body is above the highest point. Planking would also be acceptable.

I would never be so disrespectful to the summit spirits, they have feelings you know. I confirm my ascent by touching the cairn or other, wishing them well and bidding them farewell and good fortune on my departure.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion