walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tarmachan Ridge best day out - So far

Tarmachan Ridge best day out - So far

Postby Barrie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 25/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up and walking by 9.30, its a bright morning and it looks like we are going to get some views this time out. Reasonably quick ascent (for us)
P9250157.JPG
View over to Lochan na Lairige

Icy winds and the first signs of winter.
P9250163.JPG
First signs of Winter?

2 hours to the top of Meall nan Tarmachan and we couldnt have wished for a better day to do the ridge. We sat for a half hour to eat our steak pies from the wee snack bar in Killin and out of the wind you could have worn your speedos to sunbathe
P9250167.JPG
At the top

Perfect clear views, and the route ahead to Meall Garbh and Meall nan Eachan
P9250170.JPG
The route ahead to Meall Garbh and Beinn nan Eachan beyond
We were soon at the top of Meall Garbh,
P9250173.JPG
Top of Meall Garbh
With clear views all round and heading along the narrow ridge towards the steep descent between Meall Garbh and Meall nan Eachan,
P9250174.JPG
Short narrow ridge
P9250177.JPG
View over Beinn nan Eachan
this descent was dry but with patches of ice, and would be tricky on a wet or icy day as others have suggested.
P9250186.JPG
Steep descent with others coming down (hard to see them)
Starting up Meall nan Eachan we could look back and see the full route back towards Meall nan Tarmachan
P9250189.JPG
Looking back towards the start of the route

We sat at the top of Meall nan Eachan for half an hour
P9250191.JPG
Ben More and Stobinian
and headed down in to the bealach and down furher on to the rough track heading back to the car park, back at the car for 4pm. All in all a great day fine weather, and the best views.
Last edited by Barrie on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Tarmachan Ridge best day out - So far

Postby rogers » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Great photos Barrie, planning on doing this on Saturday and they give a good idea of what to expect, although i doubt the weather will be as good.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby mellowmark » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Cracking day you had there, this is one of my favourite walks - lots of interest. Makes a great winters day outing too - in fact this was first ever proper winter walk (did Schiehallion the day before but only ice and limited snow on top so that doesn't really count - heavy snow overnight made sure that Tarmachan Ridge was in full winter nick) :)
mellowmark
Munro compleatist

Postby Barrie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:39 pm

rogers wrote:Great photos Barrie, planning on doing this on Saturday and they give a good idea of what to expect, although i doubt the weather will be as good.

Thanks, hoping for good weather myself next Saturday Rogers, still to decide where, been up several shrouded in mist. What a difference to get these views.
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Postby Barrie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 pm

mellowmark wrote:Cracking day you had there, this is one of my favourite walks - lots of interest. Makes a great winters day outing too - in fact this was first ever proper winter walk (did Schiehallion the day before but only ice and limited snow on top so that doesn't really count - heavy snow overnight made sure that Tarmachan Ridge was in full winter nick) :)

I wont be long till theres snow up there again mellowmark, and I would do this again in the snow, but not sure about the steep descent, probably take the detour to the route.
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Barrie

Looks great, you were so lucky as my mate and I were here on the Thursday and the weather was awful and the wind to strong to walk the narrow ridge.

The pictures are great well done!!!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Barrie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Luvhiking wrote:Barrie

Looks great, you were so lucky as my mate and I were here on the Thursday and the weather was awful and the wind to strong to walk the narrow ridge.

The pictures are great well done!!!

Thanks Luvhiking enjoyed taking them, makes a change from wall to wall mist!
Barrie
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland