walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby ridgerunner » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 27/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

mullach fraoch choire2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After fantastic weather while walking yesterday , woke up to find the Cluanie Inn surrounded by mist.
Not being sure how long this would last i thought i would drive up/down the valley to see if there were any breaks.
Only went 1 mile before i could see A'Chralaig sticking up though the mist so parked just west of the Alt a Chaorainn Mhoir.
Almost made a disastrous start as visibility was only about 20 yards and i could not see a path . However i soon crossed the path which i noted at the end of the walk ,starts off on the right side of the land rover track immediately after it starts.
Luckily i found it as the going was so steep and grassy it would probably have added at least 30min to walk time.
After about 30minutes i broke through the mist to get great views.
mf1.jpg
looking south west

I thought i was in for another great day though i could see some cloud building up further south-east.
The stepped grassy path nears a stream and follows this all the way to the ridge with only two boggy areas to cross near the top.
I then could see the rest of A'Chralaig.
mf2.jpg
A'Chralaig

The walk to the top was easy but i could see the cloud getting steadily nearer and realised i wasnt going to miss it.
mf3.jpg
looking north to Mullach fraoch-choire

Shortly after this photo the cloud arrived but the visibility wasnt too bad initially.
Certainly no problem finding the massive cairn on A'Chralaig.
Afterwards the ridge narrows and despite the cloud pleasant walking along a very easy to follow path.
At the start of Mullach Fraoch-choire's sothern ridge there are small rock outcrops that get steadily bigger further up the ridge.
mf4.jpg

The small rock in above photo reminded me of the Sydney Opera House - or maybe i was getting a bit hypo!
The increasingly large towers were good scrambling and there was always a well worn path bypassing them.
However i felt every one was likely to be the summit , only to climb it to see a bigger one ahead in the cloud.
The summit is actually a slight anti-climax after scrambling over the towers.
Could only see about 10yards so had lunch in a very protected stone shelter.
mf5.jpg
summit cairn

Then retraced my steps to the col again where a foot high cairn [handy in the clouds] indicates the start of the path into Coire Odhar.
Other walk reports indicate this can be very slippy , but it must have been dry for a few days as i found it ok.
However i tended to avoid the muddy path and bounce down the large mounds of purple mossy stuff that are great shock absorbers for tired knees.
Turning left at the valley floor , the boggier foot path then land rover track are a bit like the "electric brae" south of Dunure in Ayrshire. You know you must be going slightly downhill following the stream but your brain tells you otherwise.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm

A bit of mist at the top would be worth it for a photo like the 1st one - a beauty 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby walk aboot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Yup I agree, great photos :D .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland