walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hiking in Jordan - Wadi Ghuweir

Hiking in Jordan - Wadi Ghuweir

Postby When Adventure Knox » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:36 pm

Date walked: 29/10/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last autumn I was fortunate enough to visit Jordan - a last minute decision, but I'd never seen the flight prices so low to coincide with my school's October Half Term (I'm a teacher) so jumped on it when I had the chance.

About an hours drive north of Petra is a stunning gorge called Wadi Ghuweir. It begins in what feels very arid, but the further into it you get, the more water there is and bit by bit, it becomes that bit more green until you find yourself in a full blown desert oasis.

We decided to do the hike as a there and back, but you can keep hiking and arrange for transport to take you back to where you parked the car, or do it with a guide as an organised tour. The prices we were being quoted were very expensive, which is why we turned back before the waterfall (which if you jump down, you can't get back up).

There are a small handful of 'tricky' spots within the wadi, requiring a bit of scrambling or climbing, but I expect that if you enjoy hiking, these shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

I've put together a video of our hike - if you choose to watch it, I hope you enjoy it.

When Adventure Knox
Walker

Re: Hiking in Jordan - Wadi Ghuweir

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:14 am

What a brilliant video!

The real surprise for me was all the vegetation in the gorge. How extraordinary. What a great trip!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland