walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Affric three,from Cluanie Inn

Affric three,from Cluanie Inn

Postby soulminer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:29 am

Route description: Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan group, Alltbeithe

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 29/09/2010

Time taken: 11 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was one of those trips which had been put back for so long that it just required doing,weather dependant :) Kinley had posted about a sniff of high pressure at the weekend- would trust him more than Michael Fish :lol: so it was now going to happen.
My initial thoughts were about a high camp on MnD, but work scuppered my plans :evil: couldn't arrange an early finish or the day off, and finished later than planned. Plan B :) Walk in and back out, in theory sounds great, practically a tad more difficult.
So set off from Johnstone at 0330 Sunday morning with flask of expresso for the journey, uneventful drive up. Stopped for a taste of the bean at Glencoe, and delighted in the sight of the Aonach and Bidean bedecked in moonlight and starlight, drank my coffee and back in the car- bloody freezing :shock:
Arrived at the Cluanie Inn at 0700,finished the coffee and dressed for the occasion. Headed off at 0730. The moon was still high in the sky and the sun rising slowly as I ambled along.

The path varies from grit to grass to gloop in stages, glad it was looking fine and not cats,dogs and buckets as I would have turned about- awful fear of drowning :) The views around me were excellent, as well as what was in wait for me ahead

I eventually arrived at Altbeithe just after 0900, but didn't stop for long, a quick chat with two campers heading out the route I came in. Up the path behind the Hostel, through the gate and up the excellent grit path. Through the top gate and heading towards the bealach - 45/50 mins.

Headed for the top before An Socach and left my bag behind the small rise above the two lochans (puddles :) ) and off I went. The summit and back only took about 30mins.
Time to go a searching, I knew there was a cairn just west of the bealach so kept my eyes peeled and found it lurking behind a slab on my right hand side

To the left of this cairn is the beginning of a path which descends steeply to the out flow of the lochan. Across towards MnD and up towards a small area of scree, 2nd lowest point on the ridge- under the plume

The view back from my ascent. Cairn at the lowest point left of centre

Off to the distant Summit of Dheiragain. Certainly a bit of a hike.

from summit to Ceathreamhnan

Back across the tops and dropped down and headed for the biggest summit of the day. Started to cramp up in my right leg, so a packet of crisps and a Baby-Bel and a Red bull later- back on track.
Felt great now as the ridge narrowed and the summit came into view, no just a little higher :D . Now I was there, the views all around were stunning. I just stood and stared :thumbup:

View back to MnD

The view to An Socach and the way backdown

The route to the Cluanie Inn, centre.

I was totally delighted to be in Glen Affric with the three summits ticked off, headed out with a beaming grin. I met a couple on their way up who asked if I had just done the one hill.I toldthem I had left johnstone at 0330 and been round the three, ' Oh' the man said 'Remember, you still have a long walk out' Thanks for reminding me :roll:
A slow pace back through the 'soup' on the way back, and decided to have a steak to celebrate. Changed and back to the car, a council van pulled up and placed a 'road closed' sign on the grass verge. apparently the Ferry to Skye was all the way back to the petrol station! A guy was standing at the roadside waiting for the bus and I offered him a lift to Fort William, we got chatting -as you do, and discovered he stayed in Ibrox, so dropped him off in Paisley. Small world :lol:
soulminer

Re: Affric three,from Cluanie Inn

Postby doogz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 am

Excellent Dava......

Bit drier than last Saturday...... :shock:

You sounded happy on Monday when we spoke....can see why

Exact same overhead conditions as mine just a few months ago....... 8)

So we got 3 reasonably short walks ........then HAPPY DAZE 284

Nice shots in there m8

Doogz
doogz

Postby malky_c » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:33 am

Sunday was such a great day for photos. I was just north of you on Aonach Buidhe - was looking with interest at the northern ridges of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, as they look worthy of more exploring. I did Mullach na Dheiragain in the **** rain - didn't see a thing. It looks a bloody long way out!

You have quite a random selection of hills left - planning on having your big celebration on Carn Bhac? :wink: :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby soulminer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 am

I'm an Etive sort of person :wink: :lol:
I agree it is a bloody long way out, but ok if its not raining :D
soulminer

Postby kinley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Big walk :shock:

Missed you by a few hours then - hope we left the place tidy for you :lol:

You got some great shots there.

Helluva a round trip though :shock:

Enjoy the remainder of the round 8)
kinley

Postby Glenrothes » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:13 pm

Davey,

hell of a bimble mate and certainly brings into perspective that a day trip from Englandshire to the southern Munros is very doable - especially if Kinley gives us a nod for the weather :wink:

Great report on an super trio of hills :thumbup:

G
Glenrothes

Postby soulminer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm

You just have to believe :lol: :lol:
I'm sure you can manage it G-man. Good to hear from you.
Cheers
soulminer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland