walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall

Ring of Steall

Postby Gwalke » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 24/09/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My brother Scott, Paul and I decided we should tackle a tough, long route seeing as we all had the Friday off. We left the central belt at 6am and arrived at the Glen Nevis car park (the end of the road car park) around 9.30am following a wee (pee) stop at the green welly! Weather was decent to start, a bit parky but nice and fresh and just what we needed after the long drive.

We headed from the car park towards the crossing which is, contrary to popular believe, a wee bit scary. I decided to take this on as the thought of wet feet put me off wading through the river - the others decided to take on the later - and fail miserably... After this section there is a tough slog over the foot of the waterfall, over the marsh land and then up the first Munro, An Gearanach. From here the views are spectacular and you can really appreciate the walk ahead.

We then followed the well trodden route towards the second Munro Stob Coire a'Chairn. This was a tough one that really knocked the stuffing out of us. The scramble at the end is relentless and parts of the route are quite loose.

The rest of walk from here is pretty straight forward although the decent from Sgurr a'Mhaim is tricky with all the scree. I would advise leaving a gap between when descending so that you dont take out your friends with boulders that you knock loose! My brother twisted his knee at this part so the decent took longer than expected, approx 2hrs.

One thing that worried me was when we were half way down we met a young couple who were making their way up. Dont think they realised that the sun would set in 30 mins. i did mention this to them but they persevered with their climb. Hope they managed to get back down safely.

Here's a few picks that will hopefully help with the description, enjoy!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
Gwalke
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   

Re: Ring of Steall

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:30 am

Excellent photos there chaps, looks like a brilliant mountaineering adventure!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby smudger71 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

great Photo's...we did the ring of Steall earlier in the year...got much worse weather than you, hardly saw any views and got raied on for 8.5 hrs...

looks like the rope bridge is fixed now...it was broken when we took it on.

I thought the gearanach garbanach ridge was harder than the devils ridge in terms of scrambling, what did you think? its a great route though and felt a lot longer than 14Kms...although we did it the other way round to you and i wouldnt have fancied your final descent much either...although the descent from Gearanach wasnt great either...

Some guy told us in the pub the night before that the riong would take us 5hrs...either he was way fitter than us or he had a few too many brandies!!!

Mark
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Gwalke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Mark, I must admit that the Devil's ridge was the easiest of the two, both really easy compared to the Aonach Eagach which we done a few weeks back - that was something else!

I think that guy in the pub must've had a few in him when he told you that! It took us about 9.5hrs but with the weather we had we made the most of the summits and soaked up the scenery.
Gwalke
Munro compleatist

Postby Barnety2000 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm

How do the ridges compare to the CMD arete between Carn Mor Dearg and Ben Nevis? I have done that 3 times now and am looking for a slightly tougher scrambling challenge, though am not up to the Aonach Eagach yet...

Great photos and what a lovely day! Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg look great in the sun! :D
Barnety2000
Stravaiging

Munros:122   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:38 pm

hell would have to freeze over before I attempt any thing this scarrey, you brave, brave soul... :wtf:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby kerrera » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Your second last photo is great. When you stopped at the green welly didn't you have a bacon and blackpudding roll with brown sauce? Mmmm
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby houdi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 am

Absolutely brilliant pics, Gwalke. I did this exact same route last year. Weather was very good but hazy so your pics are much clearer than mine. Agree about the bridge though. It scared the sh*t out of me.
Was way disappointed with the Devil's Ridge as it isn't even a scramble at all, just a path on top of a grassy arete. Don't have to use your hands anywhere as there are no rocks to scramble over, apart fron the three boulders in the middle which the path avoids to one side (I jumped over from one to three just to try and install a bit of excitement). I guess it gained its reputation in the Winter. For me, the CMD rivals Crib Goch for the best arete on the mainland and it's way longer than anything else. And it actually has rocks to scramble over!!
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby Alastair S » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Cracking stuff & super photos, I particularly like #6 (but wouldn't want to be up there in a gale :)
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:12 am

Where/what is photo no. 8?

Having been on, and turned back part way along, both CMD and the An Gearanach - An Garbhanach traverse, I would say CMD is more comforting! I only turned back 'cos I thought it would get bad after the first corner on the CMD when it went across the bit which presents a vertical side to the viewer - Richard continued with his hands literally in his pockets and later said there were no difficulties anywhere. He said it definitely didn't get harder after I'd turned back and I hadn't really been doing any scrambling to that point (although a bit was need to get round the corner). I haven't been near the Devil's Ridge so can only wonder what that's like. I found most of the traverse to An Garbhanach okay (but too airy for my liking) until I got to the slabs stood on end and then we couldn't figure out what to do. We saw a guy coming our way from An Garbhanach so watched what he did. When he set off round the side of the sheer crag on a tiny sheep track I turned back! Richard did it though - he said it was definitely tricky and he also thought the descent to the next col looked too bad for me too.

Great photos though - just need names so we know exactly where you are! :D

It always makes me laugh when brave scrambly peeps are scared of the lovely Steall Bridge! :lol: I wouldn't dare do half of that scrambling but love the bridge with a vengeance...
mountain coward

Postby Gwalke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Pretty sure photo number 8 was taken on the decent from An Garbhanach heading towards Stob Coire a' Chairn.

I thought the bridge was excellent, probably one of the best bits of the walk. Getting onto the bridge is harder than crossing the bridge itself!
Gwalke
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:42 am

Ah thanks - didn't realise that bit was so rocky!

It helps getting onto the bridge if you're very tall and have arms like a monkey (like me) :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland