walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN VENUE -STEEP WEE MOUNTAIN

BEN VENUE -STEEP WEE MOUNTAIN

Postby blueyed » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 23/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

what a great day it was :)

actually we bagged ben venue last sunday and we chose it just because it is a little mountain, not too far away from edinburgh. the previous night we were partying so this seemed to be a good hill to bag, no early waking up required :)

ben vanue made a great day out -weather was fantastic -hot and sunny with a gentle breeze..
we did the same route as described here. from the car park at loch achray we took 'red track' up and followed it until we reached the tarmac road to the dam (then we took 'blue' track). we followed the road and after about 10 mins turned left to cross the river (lovely, fancy bridge, some nice waterfalls). from this moment the path starts going up, quite steeply and continues like this right to the top. at first the path goes thru lovely smelling spruce forest, which was great- shady and cool :) then thru young trees plantation and the forest again. this moment gives great views over to ben ledi.

after passing the 'second part' of the forest the boggy moorland begins. millions of flying ants tried to eat us alive there, half successful I have to admit, as I discovered later.
going higher up we passed great fields of blueberries (yummy!) and finally we got to the 'crossroads' marked with a cairn. we turned right and started ascent on the finaly ridge leading to the summit. a bit of scrambling reguired which was a nice change from wet moorland crawl. from this moment we gained the height very quickly, great views wide open before us, to the highlands, loch katrine .. stunning!
continuing ascent we reached another 'crossroads' with two paths - left leading to the 'true' ben venue summit (..and nobody goes there for some reason), right leading to the twin summit (crowds of people there already).

it is a shame that most people just go to the 'twin' summit and never bother to do the 'true' one, because comparing the views from the two, twin summit has nothing to offer. views from the 'true' one are so much greater! we could clearly se the arrochar alps (the cobbler, beinn ime, beinn narnain, ben vane.. ) and ben lomond.
we went for the 'true' one first, had some sandwiches there in peace and quiet and then went to where everybody was -the twin summit. that was actually full of flying ants, no chance to sit and enjoy the view at all, so we 'bagged' it and started descent the same way we came up.

one thing - the way from loch achray is very well signposted, it is clearly said to come back the same way, because it's the only way. however, on the summit we met a couple who had a guide book (green cover) and they climbed ben venue some other way (aparently pathless) and it took them 5 hours to get to the summit, they got lost and were exhausted. it's just a warning for you guys not to follow any other path. i guess there was some other route to ben venue in the past, but apparently it's not there anymore.

ok, so here are the pics :)
more pics at http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2010/08/ben-venue.html
Attachments
aDSC_8227.jpg
ben venue
DSC_8225.jpg
ben a'an
DSC_8235.jpg
DSC_8242.jpg
ben ledi
DSC_8245.jpg
DSC_8246.jpg
DSC_8251.jpg
DSC_8255.jpg
DSC_8271.jpg
beinn bhreac
DSC_8278.jpg
DSC_8280.jpg
DSC_8284.jpg
DSC_8286.jpg
steam ship on loch katrine
DSC_8289.jpg
loch katrine
DSC_8294.jpg
the twin summit
DSC_8296.jpg
arrochar alps -the cobbler, beinn ime, beinn narnain, ben vane..
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BEN VENUE -STEEP WEE MOUNTAIN

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Good report there 8) I have done Ben Venue twice but from loch ard and i keep meaning to go and try it from this side
Nice pics :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby BertvdBeu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Thnx for your reply on my report of the Eggishorn, Switserland.
You've got some great pictures too in your post. :)

It certrainly was a great day, regarding the sunshine and the beautiful (photografic) light

kind regards,
Bert
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Nice pictures and thanks for the memories - it takes me back. We first tried Ben Venue in mid February 1986 in the snow but just after clearing the forest we had blizzard conditions and white out and had to turn back. Two weeks later at the start of March we went up again from the other side - still had a lot of snow but clear blue sky and full sun all day - brilliant day and we got sun burnt !
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 pm

some superb photos there.

i got snowed out of ben venue last year, it's on the to do list
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby kinley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:33 am

Excellent - it's a hill I keep meaning to get up - must try harder 8)
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland