walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coast to Coast. (Fastpacking)

Coast to Coast. (Fastpacking)

Postby Slogger » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Date walked: 08/09/2010

Time taken: 112

Distance: 305 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been back almost a week after doing the Wainwrights Coast to Coast as a challenge. I carried a wild camping pack.
Day 1. St Bees to Near Patterdale 46 miles.
Day 2. Grisedale Valley to beyond Sunbiggin Tarn 31 miles.
Day 3. BY Sunbiggin Tarn to Richmond 40 miles.
Day 4/5. Richmond to Robin Hoods Bay 73 miles, done in one go apart from 1.5 hrs in tent.
Total time 4 days 15hrs 48min.
Been off work since with feet fully bandaged due to open ball of foot blisters - you get what you pay for!
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:141   

Re: Coast to Coast. (Fastpacking)

Postby skuk007 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Well done slogger. That's some impressive long days. Was it really worth doing it so quickly? :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 pm

jesus, that is some amount of walking! :shock:

Good effort!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby colgregg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 pm

As I said before bloody impressive but you must be totally off your rocker to punish yourself like that!!!! :) Only joking.
My brother has a photo taken near surrender bridge in Swaledale with c to c walkers in it. Possibly taken on the day you were there. Would be a coincidence if it was you.
Next time take it easy (20 miles a day max) and take in the pleasures you must have missed.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Slogger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 pm

No one about at Surrender bridge when I reached it.
I love high mileage and believe it or not am so used to it that I do notice everything. Its not that I rush through, averaging 2,5 mph, just walk more hours in the day than most. My aim was to be walking by 4am and pitching camp around 9pm. It didn't quite work out like that though in the end.
It was a pure challenge to complete the route within 5 days rather than a sight seeing trip and yes next time I will go at a more normal pace. Another guy was on the same 5 day schedule at the time and completed it. He was however running with a very small daypack and using a baggage carrier and B&Bs.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby susanmyatt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Well done, what a final day, slogger by name and slogger by nature :lol: Not sure AW did it at that pace, Eric Robson called him a plodder :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94

Postby fedupofuserids » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:43 pm

What happened on Day 2 ? Lightweight !!

Only jesting, thats some pace, especially to maintain it over 5 days.

Whats on your agenda next the Southern Upland in 5 ?
fedupofuserids

Postby colgregg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 pm

fedupofuserids wrote:Whats on your agenda next the Southern Upland in 5 ?

Pennine Way in 8 Days next then Dave. Let me know when you set off I'll be in hawes with beers at the end of day 3.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Slogger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Actually, after years of doing extreme mileage trips, non stoppers as I call them and fast shorter routes, for example:-
Dales Way, 84 miles, done many times in average time of 30 hours.
Cumbria Way, 75 miles agaim, many times in average of 30 hours (harder than Dales Way).
Ribble Way, 72 miles in 26 hours.
Pendle Way, 45 miles in 15 hours.
Yorkshire 3 peaks done as a pure walk in 6hrs 14min.

I am seriously thinking of easing off somewhat. It had to happen one day and I was sort of using the C2C as final extreme.
I firmly believe in carrying on doing what you enjoy and have always done for as long as you can, and will continue with high mileage and a good pace, however I am 65 yrs next year, and really have nothing left to prove, I am satisfied with what I have achieved.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby Slogger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 pm

colgregg wrote:
fedupofuserids wrote:Whats on your agenda next the Southern Upland in 5 ?

Pennine Way in 8 Days next then Dave. Let me know when you set off I'll be in hawes with beers at the end of day 3.

No, thanks although I will return and do the Pennine Way, North to South in the next couple of years. I backpacked it two years ago in 9 days South to North.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby colgregg » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Bloody Hell. 64 Y.O. Power to your elbow. I'm nine years younger and will be more than grateful if I can continue to Walk the lakes at 64.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby Slogger » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 pm

If you are still walking well at 55, you will doing the same at 64 so long as your health holds up of course. A few years ago I was still able to hold my own with members of our running club who also walked the hills. There were 4 of us that went Munro baggin. Two are the age of my son and the eldest is 15 years younger, and all very good Fell runners.
I didn't have problems keeping up with them and even going better on some trips, however since stopping running due to an on going hip/groin muscle problem 2.5 year ago, I can no longer go at their pace. There again they cannot do the mileage that I still do, as they have never done it. I took two of them round the Pendle Way (45 miles) about 4 years ago and while I was still fresh at the end they were a bag of bones and have avoided going on any more longer trips with me eversince.
At the mo I can't even walk round to the shops.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Postby colgregg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 pm

I walk well on the flat and downhill. My body just doesn't think going up steep slopes is natural and resists. I'm still averaging 1.5 m.p.h. including stops, on my walks so I'm happy with that. I do recover overnight and feel precious little after effects either. I think would be a good indicator of my fitness for the future would be the length of recovery time needed. If I get to the stage where I go out on a Sunday and still not back to rights by the Tuesday then it will be time to re assess my situation.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby kerrera » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 pm

Slogger wrote:Been off work since with feet fully bandaged due to open ball of foot blisters - you get what you pay for!
Dave.

Slogger wrote:At the mo I can't even walk round to the shops.
Dave.

:lol:
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Slogger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 pm

colgregg wrote: If I get to the stage where I go out on a Sunday and still not back to rights by the Tuesday then it will be time to re assess my situation.

The thing is after a good physical work out, be it walk, run or whatever, it takes 48 hours for the full inflammation and Lactic acid effects to work through to maximum before easing off. That's why the second day after activity is usually worse than the day after. During my non stoppers I try an average 3mph inc any stops. On the longer ones of 80 miles plus, I end up slowing down after about 45 to 50 miles, usually due to feet problems which go hand in hand or should I say foot in foot, with the mileage and pace combination. Success and accomplishment are the reward, but never guaranteed.
Dave.
Slogger
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland