walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way

West Highland Way

Postby Benedict » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 am

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 03/09/2010

Time taken: 155 days

Distance: 154 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We did the west highland way in around 7 days, finishing on the 10th of sept at around 2. Started with 3 of us (Angus, Ray and myself), but Ray had to pull out due to the fact he could hardly walk by the 3rd day. So Angus and I soldiered on. I hardly have space to take you through a day by day account, but can tell you that tthe hardest part of the walk was by Loch Lomond (as most people would tell you), though camping by the loch was very convenient for washing mess tins etc (yes, we wild camped the whole way :D ). My favourite part by far was the Devil's Staircase, and of course getting to the finish. Disaster struck on the 6th day, as I managed to cleverly fall over and smash my knee on a rock. Thankfully the rock wasn't too sharp, and nothing was broken, but I did have to walk 12 miles on the last day on a very dodgy knee, so it was a trip to the Fort William A&E when we were finished.

We met some great people on the walk, and some of the scenery was spectacular. Once again, photos will be up here sometime after now. I would highly recommend it to anyone :)

Ben
Benedict
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: West Highland Way

Postby walk aboot » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi Ben

I did the West Highland Way the week after, starting on the 13th, and I loved it too - said pretty much the same as you did in your description, hardest/best bits, meeting great folk, highly recommended, etc.

Congratulations on managing to wild camp all along the Way, that is impressive. If I was doing it again, I would want to camp bits of it e.g. Inveroran.

:D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Re: West Highland Way

Postby walk aboot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Meant to add in my last post...

look forward to seeing your photos :) .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes