walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Narnain and Ime - What a Gorgeous Day

Narnain and Ime - What a Gorgeous Day

Postby ceebeeby » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 26/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 1344m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Scraped the car off the ice, and arrived in Arrochar at about 09:15. Jumped out of the car and thought "brrrrrrrr", so geared up for the cold (hats, gloves, spare jumper, fleece, etc.) - big mistake!! 10 minutes in the woodland climb I'm down to base layers, and although it was still chilly, the sun was beating down without a cloud in the sky.

Quickly skipped up the rest of the woodland to the stunning views of the Cobbler and Narnain - we could see for miles and miles around, although the most gripping site was 10 metres ahead, a large Red Deer on the path (who refused to stand still for pics!!)

Stopped at the Narnain boulders for a quick cuppa (and mop off the perspiration) and then up to the split point by the Cobbler steps. Being fairly new to walking, wanted to follow a fairly simple trek up Narnain, which proved virtually impossible, and was eventually navigated by "heading north". Found it quite steep going, and for my diabetic companion, this was a full lucozade and Mars Bar climb. Got to the top and literally felt on top of the world!!

Few good gossips up there with fellow walkers and then headed off down the fairly boggy slopes of Narnain once again (bit of a detour and nearly ended up going over the edge at one point - no paths as such) towards Ime - this was very boggy and wouldn't have minded going back to the Cobbler and trying from there, rather than the Bealach, however, by the time realised this my troos were already drenched, but the sun would quickly dry them.

Found getting up Ime, again, quite steep (having only gone up 'touristy' paths before). Think there were only about 5 of us on the hill the whole afternoon, low I thought for such a stunning day. Again, the views from the top were staggering! Truly awesome.

Slow getting back down as my friend was running out of go-go juice (sugars had got too low on the double climb) hence why so long, however, once safely back in the car and re-carbed, all was well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this spectacular day!!
260910 Narnain 2.JPG
Red Deer on the path just past the Woodland
260910 Narnain 5.JPG
The Cobbler - looking gorgeous
260910 Narnain 6.JPG
Beinn Narnain from the bottom
260910 Narnain 7.JPG
The Cobbler from halfway up the backside of Narnain
260910 Narnain 8.JPG
Beinn Ime from Narnain
260910 Ime 1.JPG
Cobbler? I'm a bit lost now?
260910 Ime 3.JPG
Ime, looking up
260910 Ime 5.JPG
Narnain, Cobbler and others in the distance - any help with naming the others, much appreciated!
260910 Ime 6.JPG
Narnain and Lomond
260910 Ime 7.JPG
The back of Ime - not sure again of names of other hills
260910 Ime 8.JPG
Any help with naming the other hills?
260910 Ime 9.JPG
Possibly Ben Vane and Lomond to the right, not sure of the others but welcome if anyone knows
ceebeeby
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Re: Narnain and Ime - What a Gorgeous Day

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Nice pictures - looking familiar as I walked these two in mid August and then did my first walk report. I went straight up Narnain first - the start of the track is very close to the start of the cobbler track but off to the right and "hidden" in bushes. Can sympathise on the boggy bits but it's a nice walk with good views. :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Morag M » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Lovely photos, Narnain and Ime were my 2nd and 3rd Munros, think I will do Narnain again just reading your TR has reminded me how lovely the plateau is on Narnain, bet you felt on top of the world, well done. :D
Morag M
Mountain Walker

Munros:118   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I always carry plenty extra food for any walk over a certain length/ascent - you never know when you are going to "crash" and it's not a nice feeling. Anyway, looks like a fabby day for your walk - cheers :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland