walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Etive Bunch

Glen Etive Bunch

Postby davetherave » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:03 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh, Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Maol Chaluim, Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 25/09/2010

Time taken: 17 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 2833m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th sept 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear, sunny, mainly blue skies
Time. 4 hrs + ??hrs
Distance. 28.5 km
Ascent. 2833 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 2
Corbett’s x 2
Grahams x 0

Sgurr na h ulaidh, Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Beinn Maol Chaluim, Meall Lighiche

Starting from.

Etive bunch.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Druimachoish Lochetive

Another late start arrived at the start of our walk at 2.30pm much later than expected. Immediately we start, and head NE heading for Invercharnan. Once there, it’s just a case of following the track NW ish for near 2km the track should then change direction and head north prior to exiting the woods. We missed the last part of the track and headed up about ½ km to far, ended up having to climb up parallel to a burn for a bit, eventually we met the track as we exited the woods.

Our first hill, Beinn Maol Chaluim was dead ahead as we exited the woods. Soon we were climbing and gaining height fairly rapidly. The views opened up nicely, especially that of Ben Starav dominating the East side of Loch Etive.

1.JPG
Ben Starav with Ben Cruachan behind

1 (1).JPG
Sgurr na h ulaidh

1 (2).JPG
Wilson contenplating the Corbett Beinn Maol Chaluim

One of the few people we met over the weekend was an older guy from Aberdeenshire, we met him and his partner prior to gaining the ridge. He had completed the munro’s many years ago and was now on the final stages of finishing all the Corbett’s (lucky man ) anyhow, they also made the same error that we made. Earlier in the woods, missing the main path and having to exit the woods the same way that we had.

Once on the ridge we headed NW for the summit for approx 1.5 km. Soon enough we reached the summit and just savoured the views for a while.

1 (6).JPG
High camp pitch

1 (9).JPG
Loch Etive and beyond

1 (8).JPG
Sgurr na h ulaidh sunset

1 (10).JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill and Sgorr Dhearg sunset

1 (12).JPG
Bidean Nam Bian from Beinn Maol Chaluim

We decided this would be the ideal place to pitch the tent for the night, slightly SE from the summit was our ideal location with clear views down Loch Etive to the SSW and Bidean Nam Bian directly behind.

Come 7.30pm the wife and I were tucked up in our sleeping bags. Unheard of for both of us, to be in bed on a Saturday evening at that time.

Sunday morning and the weather was bang on the button. By 9am we had struck camp. We headed due west directly from the summit of the Corbett down to the Bealach, this was fairly tough going trying to negotiated the steep descent and avoiding the worst of the crags. No sooner had we reached the Bealach we started to climb to gain the ridge leading to Stob An Fhuarain. From the Stob there was a drop of approx 100m before climbing another 150m to the summit of . Great 360 views all over from this fantastic advantage point, was an absolute joy to be there at that moment in time. Met a lady with her 9 month auld dog at the summit, she had came up by the Allt Na Muidhe her wee Collie dog had done 28 munro’s since April.

1 (27).JPG
Sgurr na h ulaidh summit, looking towards Bidean Nam Bian

1 (19).JPG
Sgorr Dhonuill and Sgorr Dheard

1 (21).JPG
Sgurr na h ulaidh Pano shot

1 (29).JPG
Wilson and his new buddy

1 (31).JPG
Bidean Nam Bian and the A and E ridge behind.

About ½ km East from the Munro summit I dumped my big pack and the wife (she declined the Corbett) and headed NNW to bag the Corbett Meall Na lighiche. I was back in 90 mins or so pretty well exhausted, and the wife by that time was pretty well rested (bless her).

SSW we descend Sgurr Na h ulaidh. Very steep again, we seem to be making a habit of this. On reaching Caol Creran we then need to climb once more. We head up the West bound ridge up to Lochan Caorainn then from here it was the final tough push to the summit of
Beinn Fhionnlaidh. It was well on when we reached this point, was just gone 6.15pm / 6.30pm.

1 (44).JPG
the ridge that leads to Beinn Fhionnlaidh's summit

1 (49).JPG
100 up for the lady.

1 (53).JPG
views

1 (54).JPG

1 (57).JPG
looking to Mull?

1 (63).JPG
Ben Starav

We had to reach the Lochan Fola soon, very soon. We really needed to reach the lochan and then get a bearing for the forest edge. By the time we reached the Lochan, and had climbed the last main hump we only just had time to get our bearing before the darkness had swallowed up the last faint outline of the forest. The Last 5km from the Lochan was a bit of a nightmare after a long day, and by the time we had reached the track at the head of the Loch our head torches were fading badly. Only another 2km NE before we reached the car.
Another long day, and the better half in none to happy with me, we still have a 3 hour drive to go and she’s working on Monday morning. 4 hrs sleep is no way near enough for her. And me, well im ok im on the nightshift.

Note.. I must replace the head torch batteries pronto.
1 (54).JPG
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Glen Etive Bunch

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:11 am

Great report dave :D . Love the evening photos in particular - "Loch Etive and beyond" is 8) . Looks like a great couple of days - jealous.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:00 am

That's an interesting combination of tops. You must have been certain of the weather when camping on the top of Moal Chaluim...not a great amount of shelter up there :) and old Wilson sharpening up his claws for winter :lol: and wakes up next morning to having a new companion....does he have to carry rations for both. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:21 am

Quite a mini expedition by goodness, and on terrain that is not straightforward walking - super report and pics - well done the lady on 100
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby malky_c » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 am

Great stuff - pretty unusual route that, and fairly hard going! I'm planning to do a loop over most of these hills (excluding Beinn Fhionnlaidh), but starting from Glencoe instead.

Weather was really great that weekend - some lovely sunset photos there.

Can't believe you missed the chance of adding Beinn Trilleachan in that lovely sunset at the end of Sunday :lol: :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby kinley » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Belter! 8)

Cracking high camp :D

Quite a tough route though. Given the paths on trade routes it's easy to consider Glen Coe quite easy in walking terms - I was reminded on just part of that route that it's tough stuff 8)

How was the wind overnight? Got quite brisk for us in the NW
kinley

Postby kerrera » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Great report dave.

Where did you get your dog's backpack from? My dog has worn her's out.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby davetherave » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:03 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote: . Looks like a great couple of days - jealous.

So you should be. :lol: . Sorry onlt teasing you. :)

gaffr wrote:You must have been certain of the weather when camping on the top of Moal Chaluim...not a great amount of shelter up there

If i recall it was Kinley that tipped me off. Come to think of it i think alot of people benifited that weekend because of Kinley post / thread.
gaffr wrote:and wakes up next morning to having a new companion....does he have to carry rations for both.

Wilson is a bit selfish that way, he only carrys for himself...... you could say typical male. :?

Scotjamie wrote:well done the lady on 100

Yeah the wife is well chuffed with her efforts. She/wee still have a long way to go yet though.....She/wee ..... :?

malky_c wrote:Can't believe you missed the chance of adding Beinn Trilleachan in that lovely sunset at the end of Sunday

Would you believe me if i told you that we intended to catch this Corbett on this trip. !! :shock:

kinley wrote:How was the wind overnight? Got quite brisk for us in the NW

Well to start with, i decided to take my very cheap summer sleeping bag ( less weight for the pack ) i was later to regret that decision. Come sun set it became cold very quickly hence being tucked up at 7.30 pm on a Saturday night. :lol: :lol:
Due to the cold i never slept well at all, i got the pleasure of hearing the wind blow for a large part of the night. It must have been strong as i always wear mt ear plugs.
There was quite a bit of hard frost during the night. The tent had a nice thick coat of frost in the morning, and walking conditions were a bit dangerous in parts until midday due to frost. :o
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby monty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 am

Another great report Dave.
Well done on the missus knocking off her hundredth munroe. :D That looks like a tough round so excellent effort. Like Malky me and Danrun plan to do a round from Glencoe including three munros and two corbetts at the end of the month if I feel ok. Superb
monty

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland