walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach

An Teallach

Postby alanmurray » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 25/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had been looking forward to this walk for weeks, well, except for me, as I am keen on hill walking, although not so keen on heights or tricky scrambling. The forecast for walk to be "superb" so we were all fairly excited. Drove up to Dundonnell from Perth leaving straight from work on Friday night. Quick stop in Inverness for food and 'refreshments'.
Stayed in bothy on Friday night, although didn't sleep much.
P1040606.JPG
Stayed in bothy on Friday night but got little sleep

Woke up on Saturday morning and superb weather did not appear, however no rain and little wind.

Initial walk in not too bad.

P1040615.JPG
Walk in

Boulder field steep and tricky.
100_2755.jpg
Boulder field

Looking ahead seeing daunting prospect of the pinnacles
P1040643.JPG
Daunting prospect ahead

It was always going to be one of the bypass paths for me, although there were so many.
Previous reviews stated go for the highest path , however , came to an impassible section - for me anyway.
Very exposed, so went for a lower path and the same situation, came to a dodgy climb, so went for lowest path. This still had exposure, so did not enjoy this part. Climbed up a tiered gully to get to the pinnacles to meet the others.

P1040661.JPG
Bypass paths

The Pinnacles - over 3000 foot drop at one side.

100_2914.jpg
Dont look down

After the Pinnacles, everything was quite straight forward, and nice to look back and see what has been achieved.
P1040718.JPG
Looking back

Was an excellent day, and really pushed me to my limits, and managed some of the pinnacles and two munros.
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: An Teallach

Postby rocket-ron » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:55 am

i cant wait to do this walk
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Stretch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:21 am

Yikes!! That pic with the drop is insane. Well done on completing this route, looks pretty hairy.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby sanders » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 pm

I did the walk the week before.
Plenty rain and low cloud. Caught glipses now and again.
Think it'll be cracking to do on a clear day.
Will definately be going back next summer to spend a day scrambling about.
sanders
Munro compleatist

Munros:166   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby iainwatson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 pm

and here is me thinking by completing the aonach eagach that the worst of ridges and scrambling was done with :shock: :D lol
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kinley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Really got to go back and go up the Forge on a good day - criminal that we got no views.

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Nice one alanm
Yet to do this fabulous moutain and as a vertigo feartie I enjoyed the report, actually found it reassuring for some reason! :?
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby alanmurray » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks for all the posts.

As my fear of heights/exposure is significant, I was only going to complete the two munros. The group decided to walk the route in the opposite direction from my original plan, therefore, had no choice, I had to walk the ridge.
Although, I was with a good group of lads that helped me through the walk and guided me to the best path for my abilities ( thanks mainly to Keith ), without this I would have struggled, possibly become cragfast, and had to phone the helicoptor!

The walk is a difficult one, even on the easiest path, some exposure has to be endured, and scrambling is required ( not too tricky or technical though). A walking buddy with a calm head and giving simple step by step instruction enabled me to complete this walk fairly safely.

On my own or in bad weather it would be a completely different story.
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 am

Looks like you had a fine day out on Teallach....for a while I was tying to place the Bothy and came to the conclusion that it was on the other side of the sea loch at Badralloch? Can recall a couple of stays there some time ago and in fact passed the area when reaching the car park at the road end in June on a Ghoblach trip....couldn't see much of the building from the road...trees and vegetation must have grown!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby alanmurray » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Aye, you are correct Gaffr, bothy and wee camp site at Badralloch, 8 miles north-west of Dundonnell
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I have to do this, dont know about the pinicles tho, great pics that drop is so scary!!!
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:20 am

alanmurray wrote:Thanks for all the posts.

As my fear of heights/exposure is significant, I was only going to complete the two munros. The group decided to walk the route in the opposite direction from my original plan, therefore, had no choice, I had to walk the ridge.
Although, I was with a good group of lads that helped me through the walk and guided me to the best path for my abilities ( thanks mainly to Keith ), without this I would have struggled, possibly become cragfast, and had to phone the helicoptor!

The walk is a difficult one, even on the easiest path, some exposure has to be endured, and scrambling is required ( not too tricky or technical though). A walking buddy with a calm head and giving simple step by step instruction enabled me to complete this walk fairly safely.

On my own or in bad weather it would be a completely different story.

Well done! I had the same problems as you with bypass paths - kept trying different ones and they kept ending in very difficult situations - never tried the top one though... I couldn't have gone up on my own - although, having said that, my walking group abandoned me and I had to get myself back down off the mountain... with no map! :o It had been a very last minute decision for me to go with them so I didn't get chance to nip back and get it. I was going to do the same as you and just do the 2 Munros from the other end but they also went 'the wrong way' so I had to do it all - I'm glad I did now though.

IainW - An Teallach is nowhere near as bad as the Aonach Eagach - the scrambling is minimal if you use the bypass paths round the Corrag Bhuidhe - the exposure on the bypass path is probably quite bad but to be honest, for a change, I didn't notice it that much when I did it. I wasn't keen on the very steep and loose descents from Sgurr Fiona and into the forked pass just after leaving Sail Liath though...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland