walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cairnwell

The Cairnwell

Postby matt8428 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arriving at Glenshee to a fantasic sunny day and after parking at the Glenshee Cafe car park, I headed direct up towards Carn Aosda past the first Ski Cafe and taking the right hand track rather than following the main path where the tracks split between Carn Aosda and The Cairnwell. This takes you up a near enough direct route, stretching the legs and getting the heart rate going until you reach the top.

A quick breather and photo opportunity to take in the view of the Ski Centre below, the lake to the right and the Cairnwell directly in front. Heading off following the path down along the main track, I headed towards the Carn O'Gheoidh. Instead of taking the climb part way up The Cairnwell and then following the beaten path that leads off to th eright, I cut along the side of the hill keeping the lake on my right, gradually working my way up to meet the main path and to the crest of Carn nan Sac, going around this point rather than heading directly for the next feature. Getting a bearing of the next feature, The Coolah and then up the 50m climb to Carn O'Gheoida. A short rest for photos, watching the Hares and wildfowl and taking in the wonderful views of Carn Mor (Should be included in The Cairnwells Munros too, if it is, can someone let me know).

I then headed back along the main path to tackle the Cairnwell, again, heading for the single steeper tracks rather than the main tracks gives you a good climb and lets you take in the valley below until you reach the peak.

At a relatively steady pace, this is a good leg stretcher and gets the pulse rate going. Visibilty was excellent and the temperature was around 12 - 14c with a fresh wind. This is also a very sociable walk, at sometime along the route no matter where you start, you are bound to meet up again.
Attachments
CIMG1050.JPG
View from Car a Gheoidha to The Cairnwell
CIMG1047.JPG
A view from the top of Carn a Gheoidh to Carn Mor
CIMG1043.JPG
CIMG1037.JPG
Bottom of Carn Aosda at the Glenshee Car Park
matt8428
Mountaineer

Munros:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland