walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

no rain on Ben Vane

no rain on Ben Vane

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 02/10/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 969m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So it was back to Inveruglas to carry on my quest to conquer the Munros. I knew the walk well from my last visit to Ben Vorlich. It had been a dull grey rainy morning in Glasgow before I left but as I approached Tarbet there was plenty of blue sky and and i was glad i left a couple of hours later than planned, arriving at the car park about a quarter to one. By the time i reached the bridge between vane and Vorlich i was already down to my shorts and Tshirt and although it wasn`t exactly a hot summer`s day, things were looking good as the surrounding peaks were frequently clear of cloud. After missing the path up vorlich a fortnight before i was determined to take the right path this time and it`s easily found by a small bridge over a fast flowing burn. I wondered if i should bother with my gaiters as the path looked pretty good, but was soon glad i wore them after about 30 seconds after putting them on as i squelched through the boggy path and across the burn. It really is boggy along the start of the path and i was soon knee deep in mud at some parts. It really is a steep path and i felt my calves and thighs burn as i soldiered on.
IMG_1139.JPG
Ben Vane

I felt good as i carried on up and was about two thirds of the way up before i met people coming down, who had walked mainly in cloud. It was getting a bit chilly in the breeze and i stopped for some tea and pasta . All around me was clear for a minute or two and then cloud seemed to rise up from the ground and within minutes it was a total whiteout. It was great just watching the cloud appear from nowhere and then just as quickly dissapear.
IMG_1145.JPG

I was soon off again climbing and scrambling up the steep path and felt a light spittle of rain so stuck my waterproof jacket on, but that was the last of the rain. As each peak appeared again and again i thought i was at the top, but had to laugh at myself at the amount of times i do this. I took a wander off the path to my left and climbed up a rock to gaet a view of the glen below and down to loch sloy dam, when what seemed like a rainbow appeared below but it soon formed into a huge rainbow halo, spectacular. I took some pics and then stood directly in front of the sun to cast my huge shadow down the mountain.
IMG_1149.JPG
rainbow

IMG_1151.JPG
halo

I thought this was great and really enjoyed the final parts where you can climb up through the rocks to the top. I hung around taking some pics and although it was quite clear the clouds wouldn`t quite shift from the surrounding peaks.
IMG_1155.JPG
not there yet

IMG_1166.JPG
cairn
I headed back down, taking care on the steep path finding that i didn`t quite need to clamber down as there are alternative paths around the scrambly bits, and got back to the car about 6ish and feeling quite good about my day. :)
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: no rain on Ben Vane

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Like the halo effect photo. This was my younger son's first munro when he was 10 last year - for the shortest munro it's certainly boggier and trickier to walk up than you'd think making it harder than some of its higher cousins :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Milesy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 am

Your halo is a brocken spectre 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm

Nice going tomyboy - good walking in the Alps. After a few decades wandering aimlessly in the hills I am still waiting for a brocken spectre and camera at the same time! :?
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 pm

cool, thanks for the link milesy, sounds cool now for me to say i`ve seen a broken spectre :lol: didn`t realise it was such a rare phenomenon :) and was it only there because i was there to see it ? kinda like does a a falling tree make a noise if no one`s there to hear it ? :?
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Your Brocken Spectre (and glory - that's the halo bit) was only there 'cos you were there as it stems directly from your shadow being projected onto the cloud by the sun behind you. But the mountain peaks can have their own Brocken Spectre where the shape of the peak is projected onto the cloud - so yes, they do happen when you're not there to see them. Some good photies there - especially like the one looking up one of the scrambles...
mountain coward

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:05 am

mountain coward wrote:Your Brocken Spectre (and glory - that's the halo bit) was only there 'cos you were there as it stems directly from your shadow being projected onto the cloud by the sun behind you. But the mountain peaks can have their own Brocken Spectre where the shape of the peak is projected onto the cloud - so yes, they do happen when you're not there to see them. Some good photies there - especially like the one looking up one of the scrambles...

thanks mc
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:21 am

hi tomy... nice report.
Amasing brocken spectre. Excellent pictures. I loved Ben Vane with its false summits and scrambles. Well done. :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland