walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Baosbheinn, again again (and Beinn an Eoin)

Baosbheinn, again again (and Beinn an Eoin)

Postby malky_c » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Route description: Baosbheinn, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1710m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts included: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin
Date : 09/10/2010
Time taken: 5 hours 20 min (walking), 1 hour 10 min (bike)
Distance: 15.5km (walking), 10km (bike)
Ascent: 1450m (walking), 260m (bike)
Weather: Warm and sunny

There have been a spate of good reports recently on either or both of these hills, with Donald Beaton, Honey_Munster and Foggieclimber's springing to mind immediately. Regardless, I am still going to shamelessly add mine to the collection!

These hills caught my imagination some time back when I came up to Gairloch to meet my parents for their summer holiday. We did a load of hills that holiday, but not these ones. Fast forward a mere 9(!) years and I was finally on my way up them. I hadn't even planned on doing them this weekend, but the good weather coupled with my wife saying she didn't need the car the next day made me decide to go for it.

I opted to do a variation of the most common approach, doing a circuit of Loch na h-Oidhche from the shed next to Am Feur-loch. I used the bike on my approach to save a bit of time, which allowed me to be a bit more leisurely on the hills themselves.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was on the bike just before 10am with the sun glaring in my face. It was evident that this was going to be another belter of a day similar to my round of Attadale a couple of weeks previously. Adding to that, it was also really quite warm for this time of year.

The track up to Loch na h-Oidhche is really just an upgraded stalker's path rather than a fully blown vehicle track. Cycling was OK, but there were a few short steep sections where I had to push, and the surface was very rough in places. Add in a coulple of high gates (with smaller kissing gates unsuitable for bikes) and it wasn't the fastest cycle.

Beinn an Eoin from the cycle in:

I passed a couple who were walking up to the end of the track, but other than that I saw no-one else all day. Shortly before the crossing of the Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche I decided that I was pushing more than cycling, so I abandoned the bike by a rock and started walking. Up to this point I had been planning on a clockwise circuit, but I made a snap decision to get the pathless bogtrotting out of the way early on, so went for Baosbheinn first.

Leaving the path, I encountered some strange blobby stuff which I took to be Star Jelly, but having seen some other photos of it, I'm not too sure now. Didn't look snotty enough!

Star Jelly?

I had deciced that I wanted to traverse the whole of the Baosbheinn ridge, as the best westward views would surely be from the NW end. Having crossed the shallower boggier ground, I made a rising traverse to the N of Coire Beag to get to Creag an Fhithich. I had heard stags bellowing as soon as I left the road, but now I found where they were hiding - in the shade on the NE facing slopes. The traverse was a bit steep and loose in places, but easy enough, and I was soon on Creag an Fhithich.

Beinn an Eoin from the ascent towards Creag an Fhithich:

A great choice - this end of the ridge is similar to Suilven in that it is a massive lump of rock looking out over the coast with no other hills to obscure the view. Despite the haze, Beinn Mhor on South Uist looked closer than ever before, with the Trotternish Ridge on Skye to the left of it. The coast was also stunninng, looking across Loch Gairloch and Loch Ewe to the distant Coigach peaks.

Gairloch from Creag an Fhithich:

Trotternish:

Black Cuillin:

Zoom to South Uist, Bheinn Mhor prominent:

Loch Maree, Beinn Araigh Charr, An Teallach:

Beinn Alligin, Loch a Ghobhain and Loch a Bhealaich:

The walking was easy from here, crossing short grass and flat stones. Away from the NW end, this part of Baosbheinn was less impressive. However, the main summit reared up sharply ahead.

Looking towards the summit of Baosbheinn:

There seemed to be a very steep section which I couldn't recall any mention of, but I couldn't really get a clear idea of the difficulty as I was looking directly into the sun.

Summit again, steep section prominent:

Fisherfield and Slioch:

The steep section looked really imposing from directly underneath, but in reality it was nothing more than a stiff walk, with a couple of optional bits of scrambling. There were some giddying drops you could look over if you wished!

Nobody warned me about this bit!

Back to Creag an Fhithich:

Above the steep section, I still wasn''t at the summit. There were a couple of small pinnacles to cross, again with optional easy scrambling, but before long I was there.

Last section of ridge to the summit:

The summit is surprisingly flat and grassy. There is also a surprisingly easy angled route up from the outflow of Loch na h-Oidhche - for such an imposing hill, this route probably offers the gentlest ascent in Torridon. There was a clear path following this route, suggesting it was the most popular route of ascent.

Easy alternative route up:

I spent a bit of time on the summit, eating lunch and wandering about taking photos. While I had picked the wrong time of day to view Torridon in detail, the outlines of the peaks were really impressive.

Looking back across summit ridge:

Looking south:

Looking south across Loch a Bhealaich, it was clear that there was a lot of interesting terrain to explore here. It certainly explained Kinley's rather strange approach from this direction!

Loch a Bhealaich and Sgurr Dearg:

I continued steeply down towards the east summit, surprised at just how much up and down there was on the ridge. The view back from here was the classic Baosbheinn shot - definitely a hill that deserves to be up there with the other Torridon big boys. The final rise, Ceann Beag was also surprisingly far away.

Main summit from east summit:

Ceann Bheag with Beinn Eighe and Liathach behind:

I dropped down to the end of Loch na h-Oidhche and crossed through the tangle of little lochans down here, aiming for the private bothy of Poca Buidhe. The re-ascent to Beinn an Eoin looked very steep and rocky behind this.

Beinn Eighe:

Poca Buidhe and Baosbheinn:

I decided to bite the bullet straight away, and got onto the re-ascent right behind the bothy, trending rightwards to meet the south ridge. Lower down the terrain was heather and boulders (with some fun holes to get your ankles trapped in!), while higher up there were some broken bands of crags to scramble through. I was quite glad at this point that I'd decided to go anti-clockwise, as this would be awkward to descend.

Steep ascent:

Looking to Beinn Dearg from the ascent of Beinn an Eoin:

Once on the south ridge, the going was easier, through sandstone boulders and shorter grass. There were some interesting holes in the ridge, and the summit looked quite sharp.

Slioch through a hole:

South ridge of Beinn an Eoin:

The summit was much smaller than Baosbheinn, and the views just as good. I stopped for some more food, sheltering from a breeze that had suddenly got up. Despite this, it was probably one of the warmest days out on the hills this year. No midges, clegs or deer keds either!

Meall a Ghuithais, Beinn a Chearcaill, Beinn Eighe:

Liathach:

While following a similar NW - SE alignment to Baosbheinn, Beonn an Eoin is a much simpler hill, and there is barely any re-ascent on the ridge. I crossed a short narrowish section then down steeply to a broader flatter part of the hill. A cairn at the NW end indicated a path down. I was glad I found this, as a) the NW tip of the hill was very steep and craggy, and b) I passed by lots of lovely sandstone pavements that I would have otherwise missed.

N ridge of Beinn an Eoin:

Slioch and a pavement:

More pavement:

Not far from the track, my wife phoned and told me we were going out to dinner. What had been (for me at least) quite a relaxed amble suddenly turned into a sprint to get home in time. I wasn't far from the bike, and once on that, short section of rubble aside, I was able to stay in the saddle the whole way back.

Looking back to Beinn an Eoin on the cycle out:

I reached the car in a face-melting 25 minutes (although this equated to an average speed of no more than 7 mph!), a slightly frantic end to an excellent day. I had harboured vague ideas of climbing the adjacent Marilyn of Meall a Ghlas-Leothaid, but thankfully these plans were now firmly out of the window. Another time maybe!
Last edited by malky_c on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Baosbheinn, again again (and Beinn an Eoin)

Postby metafor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Stunning Photographs , picture postcard stuff
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby kinley » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Cracking stuff! 8)

Perfect day by the looks :D

Some great photos there, and a tough day 8)

Must go back to Beinn an Eoin - it's the only hill in the area we've not managed on a clear day :(
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Great post and superb pics - these look quite steep for me so I'm going to quiz you on them as you've done both ends of each :D Which is the easiest end/approach/descent for these two for fearties who aren't bothered whether or not they do the whole ridge (although it would be nice if I find I'm able to)?
mountain coward

Postby blueyed » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:47 pm

my goodness, how lucky you were to have such a nice weather! great pics :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby magicdin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:59 pm

They are great hills - only been on them the once - went clockwise over Beinn an Eoin first.
The climb down the south ridge was interesting as it coincided with a sleety shower.
Did'nt carry on to do the full ridge of Baosbheinn and dropped down that easy ridge you mention.
Hills I would like to go back to.
Great photos malky_c
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Cheers all - it was a great day. Looking at other reports from further south, we seem to have been very lucky up here! Despite the title being a reference to the number of recent reports, definitely hills I'd do again (right now if it got me out of work :lol: )

mountain coward wrote:Which is the easiest end/approach/descent for these two for fearties who aren't bothered whether or not they do the whole ridge (although it would be nice if I find I'm able to)?

The route I briefly mentioned is the easiest way onto Baosbheinn (looks like the path up Ben Chonzie!), but the trouble is it joins the ridge in the middle. All the other routes off the NW end appear steep (I get the feeling you wouldn't like my rising traverse, as the slope was pretty steep and loose, even if my line wasn't that steep). Going off to the SE, it is steep again, but not any more than anywhere else in Torridon. If you prefer going up steep stuff, I'd get on the ridge in the SE at Ceann Bheag and do something like this:

Baosbheinn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn an Eoin is more uniformly steep, but not too bad. There is a faint path onto the NW end which skirts the difficulties by taking you round the back to the eastern side of the nose. Another steep pull up to the summit, but again straightforward - there must be loads of ascents like this in the Lakes. Dale Head, maybe? I'd avoid the S ridge. Don't see any way of avoiding steep, loose scrambly bits on that, despite the SMC guidebook making out that it is easy.

Eoin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

To be honest I find it quite hard to judge what you would find OK and what you wouldn't. I think I have it worked out, then I read your Ciste Dubh report and find out otherwise! Nothing narrow like Ciste Dubh though if you stick to my routes.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby audreywaugh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Malky we must have passed your car at the green hut? Decided to stay another night in Gairloch because the weather was so good on Saturday, we did Beinn Damh and the views were supberb! Thanks for the detailed report as planning to do these two on our next trip, good to know that the path can be cycled.
Cracking pics! :D :D :D
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby gaffr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Grand weather conditions up that way! These are two fine tops in very fine Scottish terrain...good also to see the poca buidhe refuge again...it has a great setting...never stayed there but have heard tales of strange nocturnal noises....of course it is all just wind. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Superb info Malky... I'm not too bad going up steep but hate coming down steep. I hate loose altogether - would prefer rocky to loose. I will go up rocky, just won't come back down it. Looks like, for Baosbheinn, your suggestion of the eastern ridge in the middle and the SE end look fine on your enlarged map. For Beinn an Eoin that NW route which goes round to the east looks exactly like the line I'd have picked purely going by the contours (which I normally do) and if it's got a path, all the better - paths definitely give me confidence - you know, the fact that someone went there before and all that :D So thanks for the extra help as I'd definitely like to give these a go sometime. :D
mountain coward

Postby clivegrif » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks Malky - really useful stuff here, hope to get up to these at the end of May, just hope the weather is as good.

..and I think you have taken pics of Slime Molds!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Absolutely belting report .. just grand altogether :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Alan S » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Must have missed this report at the time, Glad it has reappeared, Cool pics and good to see a report of the hill I was fascinated with when I was on Beinn Alligin

Cheers
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bryan59 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Malky, Great report I went up yesterday on the first glorious day in 2 months! I work on Skye and see Baosbheinn on most days ans I've been waiting and waiting to do the entire ridge. I did a slight variation of your route and ascended at right Abhainn Loch na h-Oidhche. That was an easy ascent to get to Creag an Fhidhich. Out there it felt like the "Suiliven of Gairloch". I'd highly recommend doing the entire ridge. Cycling in? Is it advantageous? Dina ken!!!
Bryan59
Mountaineer

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland