walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach

Liathach

Postby andyfitz » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 10/10/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday brought a sense of frustration. Just when I was managing to get a string of weekend walks together my big walking buddy, without a thought for me, swans off on a family holiday to Ardnamurchan. Ok, he hasn't had a holiday from work from a year and his good lady is lucky to see him for half an hour on a Sunday - but a walk with your mate has to retain some priority!
In the sure and certain knowledge that the weekend ahead involved only domestic bliss and "quality time", I decided on Friday evening to check the MWIS forecast anyway. AAAARGH! Sun, no rain, 90% chance of cloud free etc etc. Change of plan. I'm off to the NorthWest. " You didn't have anything special planned anyway, did you?......."
This is where Walkhighlands comes in. I had been dipping in an out of it for a year or two but had never registered as a user, (I'm a shy, generally uninteresting and essentially phobic regarding the internet). Checked out a few walks and decided on Liathach. This was after looking at some superb members reports and photographs - so cheers to those concerned. Also decided to register and try and achieve same (V helpful standard) in future. No detailed report or photos of this walk as cant add to what's here already.
Anyhow, the alarm went off at 3.30am on Saturday. Until 3.45 I had no expectation of actually getting out of bed and heading North but at 4.30am I was on my way. The Landrover Defender felt eerily empty. It is usually populated by my aforesaid pal and anywhere between 1 and 5 dogs. The dugs got the day off, given the nature of the walk. My only company up the A9 and the rest of the 4 1/2 hour drive was Radio Scotlands early outdoor programme, a Corries CD and 20 Lambert and Butler - there' a lot to be said for it you know!
My previous experience of this area was confined to one overnighter at Kinlochewe and a wonderful day on Slioch. I was moderately impressed by the view of Loch Maree from the road into Kinlochewe, however when I got my first view of Liathach from the Kinlochewe road I nearly crashed the car!. The effect was certainly enhanced by the glorious weather and the fact that what seemed like the only wisp of cloud in 100 miles was hovering around the midway point of Liathach, giving it a proper big mountain look.
Arrived at the wee car park just east of Glen Cottage and started walking about 9am. Started up the good but steep path. Realised the early rise, the long drive and the few pints of guiness yesterday were not working to my advantage! Once up on the ridge I met a good number of people. The only topic of conversation was the weather. Normally that's used as an awkward ice breaker but on this occasion it was entirely justified. Getting towards mid-October and it was roastin! Yet we all knew that in a few weeks we'd be digging out the winter kit.
Heart-stopping moment number 1 - the view of the pinnacles from the first Munro Summit. Heart stopping moment number 2 - trying to work out how you get down a mini cliff face on one of the pinnacles - answer, JUMP!
The walk from the last pinnacle to the second summit was less arduous than it appeared it might be. Time out at the summit for some fruit, a milky way and 2 fags.
The descent was not as bad as I thought it might be - but that's against a background of my last two outings involving very poorly chosen descents, (Glen Shiel and Laggan).
I hate road walks. The 2K walk back to the car seemed like 20k. The dead birds, rodents and fox cub on the road provided a rubbish ending to my most enjoyable walk to date
On the plus side the flora and fauna count for the day included the last of the years heather bloom and Devil's bit scabious, a red kite, a very inquisitive young stag, the usual buzzards and crows and wee brown birds. All to a sound track of rutting stags.
Not a bad day all in. The walk time was 6 hours and I was back home a mere 16 hours after leaving that morning.
Sorry this is useless as a walk report. More of an introduction and experiment.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Re: Liathach

Postby mountain coward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:44 am

6 hours sounds pretty good to me! I'll be around 12 hours on this one... a few hours getting to the eastern tops... an hour or so deciding I really can't get back down the same path again as it's too steep to descend... 5 minutes calling the helicopter... a long wait while they decide whether to leave me until the next day or not... and then finally - the wonderful sight of that whirly bird above coming to rescue me! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby monty » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Andy,
Nothing atall wrong with that report. Good effort. You drove more than you walked though :lol: I Don't mind driving to a munro in the wee hours but its always a nightmare driving home with the traffic. some pictures of the pinnacles would have been nice. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Sponsored by Lambert and Butler....well done and nice report.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby andyfitz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:43 pm

I've worked out the photo thing
005 (2).jpg

Ah! It seems not. All out of order. Will get one of the kids to talk me thro it before next report - and use a proper camera instead of phone!
Attachments
070 (2).jpg
064 (2).jpg
061 (2).jpg
052 (2).jpg
048 (2).jpg
045 (2).jpg
044 (2).jpg
036 (2).jpg
035 (2).jpg
028 (2).jpg
022 (2).jpg
013 (2).jpg
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby monty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

Superb pictures Andy. :D
monty

Postby alanmurray » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Great photos - on a camera phone?

This will be my next big walk.
Maybe not this year as snow will be here soon - woohoo!

I'll grow a pair and do the walk next spring-ish.

Report fab Andy
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland