walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Just to say hi

Just to say hi

Postby aimeebethelsmore » Mon May 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello, just to say hello and that I'm new to walking/hiking/going up mountains.

I'm off to do a few more in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on poles? I have never used them but on a couple of descents, have found that my knee's can give me some mither with the repeated jarring involved. Would poles help? As I'm a borm scrambler/climber, I dont feel the need for them on the ascent but maybe they would be worth a go on the way down?

Also, I'm going to do Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg arete and was wondering about other peoples times? I have read through the walking guide on here but would like to know if others have found it to be a similar or short/longer experience.

Cheers :D
aimeebethelsmore

Munros:18   Corbetts:1

Re: Just to say hi

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi Aimee and a big welcome to the site! :D

Poles - it must be poles month or something as we've had big discussions on here about them recently. The main post is at http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=963 and there's also http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1043. Check out those two links.

I wrote the description for the CMD arete so obviously I agree with the time :lol: but you might get some more opinions. It is a very long and strenuous walk but also fantastically rewarding.

Have fun out on them there hills (oh I've gone a bit back to Yorkshire roots)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby canisp » Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi aimee and welcome to walkhighlands :)
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Myth » Mon May 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Welcome...

Knees and Poles... I suffer badly, and have found two things help!

First, use poles on the way UP the hill - they protect your knees and balance, and put some of the load onto arms and shoulders (if used well - reemmber the plant/push should start from behind the middle of your stride!), and this rests your knees a bit to help save for later in the walk... coming downhill remember to lengthen the poles!

Second, if you have bad knees, GET A BIKE (toe clips/clipless pedels best) and spend real time on it - three 10 mile runs a week minimum. This will make a HUGE difference as it develops the muscles supporting your knees!

Myth.
Myth

Postby Wanderlust » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 pm

aimeebethelsmore wrote:I'm going to do Ben Nevis via the Carn Mor Dearg arete and was wondering about other peoples times?

I did this last May, took me around 8 hours from the Glen Nevis visitor centre. Had to walk a lot quicker than I would have liked, I had to catch a bus from Fort William at 18:35, I remember running most of the way along the road back into town :lol:

It's a great route, superb approach to the mountain. Hope you get as nice a day for it as I had.

Last edited by Wanderlust on Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby cjwaugh » Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Welcome to the site aimee :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Can 0f Airy » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi Aimee, welcome.

That photo of yours is incredibly compelling wanderlust. I'll have to work harder on my fitness to be able to enjoy the CMD route hopefully later this year.

Sounds like some good advice about the knees Myth, I'll pass that on to H who has suffered recently though I'm not sure how much she'll heed as she's not as fond of cycling as me.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby aimeebethelsmore » Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Cheers everyone for the advice. I'm just itching to get going now :D

Aims
aimeebethelsmore

Munros:18   Corbetts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...