walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rueval, Benbecula

Rueval, Benbecula

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Route description: Rueval (Ruabhal), Benbecula

Date walked: 10/09/2010

Distance: 3.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is not the most exciting walk report you will have read. But i feel like the Outer Hebrides have to have more reports linked to the walk descriptions, so here goes.

Continuing on our way up the islands, we stayed the night in Benbecula at a nice wee B&B. Mr and Mrs Maclean were amazing.

ben1.JPG
She made this for us, each.

The wind started to pick up as we were watching the re-run of the Xtra Factor, but we decided to tackle the only hill on the island, Rueval.

We walked down an uninteresting road, for what seemed like ages. It felt even longer on the way back.

ben2.JPG

ben3.JPG

ben4.JPG

ben6.JPG

Just before the hill is an ugly landfill site. Just here the rain started, so it was on with the waterproofs.

ben8.JPG

ben12.JPG

ben7.JPG

ben9.JPG

ben10.JPG

Unfortunately we couldn’t see much. There were loads of wee lochs everywhere; it was a very strange sight.

ben11.JPG

I actually really enjoyed doing this. When we got back, we even managed to catch more of the Xtra Factor, which Sarah was delighted about.
FloozySuzie

Re: Rueval, Benbecula

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Ah that takes me back... I actually lived there for 4.5 years but never got up the hill until I started coming back on holiday every year after I left! My boyfriend at the time actually rode our motorbike to the top! :D
mountain coward

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Haha really! It was quite an easy climb. 5000 times easier than Heaval anyway!
When we stayed at Howmore, Hecla and Bheinn Mhor were staring me in the face looking amazing, but no way are we up for that yet, plus we wouldn't have had time. They aint going anywhere :)
FloozySuzie

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:14 pm

Those are a longish walk in... and of course, no paths - or at least there weren't when I was up them last - but then neither was there a path on Heaval and there looks to be now.

BTW - that home-made cakie and scone and jam look awesome! :D
mountain coward

Postby FloozySuzie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 pm

Ooooh yes it was :) Although, we thought the white stuff tasted like Philadelphia. Is that what clotted cream tastes like? It was rather odd, but it worked.
FloozySuzie

Postby Alastair S » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Cake and scone! Its making me hungry - excuse me while I raid the kitchen :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm

FloozySuzie wrote:Ooooh yes it was :) Although, we thought the white stuff tasted like Philadelphia. Is that what clotted cream tastes like? It was rather odd, but it worked.

Alastair - I wish I had cakes and things in my kitchen!

The stuff that tastes like Philadelphia would be 'Crowdie' - it is a type of soft cheese... very popular in the Hebs
mountain coward

Postby icemandan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Like the look of the scones and cake but following the boring road to the landfill site doesn't sound like much fun.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby malky_c » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Heheh. You haven't exactly sold this area well in the report, but I still fancy a visit sometime! :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby houdi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Living in Devon I can assure you that clotted cream tastes gorgeous and is nothing like cheese. Anyway, must dash as I have a Devon cream tea waiting for me. :D
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby icemandan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:21 pm

You won't be dashing anywhere if you eat too many Devon cream teas!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby houdi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:10 pm

Don't I know it. And for that very reason I try to limit myself to only three a day.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:05 am

houdi wrote:Living in Devon I can assure you that clotted cream tastes gorgeous and is nothing like cheese. Anyway, must dash as I have a Devon cream tea waiting for me. :D

While I was jealous of the scones & the sandwich cake, defo not jealous of the clotted cream - I think it just tastes of pure fat! Far too rich for my liking...

I never used to mind the 'boring road to the landfill' or more correctly, the old Market Stance when I used to live up there and the track behind Rueval is quite nice once you get into the wilderness more. But it is the only hill on Benbecula so, if you're staying there, you just have to do it! :D

Having said that, there's scores of great hills on South Uist so you're better to get off down to them really...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland