walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Starav 5.

Beinn Starav 5.

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:13 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 09/10/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 2560m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After subjecting my senses to hallucinatory overload, Thursday Enter The Void @ GFT & Friday Groove Armada @ Carling Academy, i decided to grasp the favourable forecast and perhaps experience a more natural sensory overload!!. With only 4 hours sleep (my head still thumping with heavy bass ridden electronic music and strobe lighting!) i left Glasgow at 5.30am. 10 mile down the single track road at Glen Etive and i was at the start, it was 7.50am. Daylight now in full flow and the sun was making a most welcome appearance, it was going to be a great day :D . At the start i was greeted by Ross and Graeme from Inverness, i later discovered they where in fact machines!!.

staravsmall.jpg

Graeme, Ross and I all started the walk together at 8am.

Due to some Munroist chit chat we missed the bridge to cross the river, it was 8.05am!, however we crossed via some large boulders and were on the path to ascend the 1st Munro of Beinn Starav. It was this point i went solo and started the unrelenting Ascent of Starav, the wind was now swirling into a frenzy!!

The start.

P1060435.JPG

Ascent to Starav.

P1060437.JPG

Looking back to the Buichailles of Glencoe.

P1060441.JPG

Final rocky ascent to Starav.

P1060444.JPG

Graeme and Ross bringing up the rear....but not for long!!.

P1060448.JPG

Stunning Loch Etive with views to Ben Cruachan.

P1060450.JPG

After 2 hours without stopping i finally reach the summit of Starav, views are awesome.

P1060451.JPG

Its been 5hrs since i've eaten so i decide to stop for a bite to eat and take in the views. Graeme and Ross are minutes behind and when they reach the summit they smile and are on there way to Munro number 2....they also inform me they don't carry water (they drink from streams) and rarely stop, WTF!! :shock:

15mins later and i'm on my way, no sign ahead of the Inverness Cyborgs!!

Navigation is simple due to clear views. It's not long till at the Bealachan Lochain Ghaineamhaich. I notice that the Cyborgs have ditched the rucksacks, i do the same. I follow a path right of the Bealach and soon start the ascent of munro no.2 Beinn Nan Aighenan. This is also relentless but having no rucksack makes things easier. The wind has relented to a mere breeze. Halfway up the Inverness boys/men are descending past me, they inform me that lunch will be taken on summit of Munro no.3.

Top of Beinn Nan Aighenan, no rucksack and water in hand.

P1060462.JPG

On descent stopped and chatted to folk doing Beinn Nan Aighenan, they loved the fact they could wear shorts in October!!. Back at the bealach a group from Stirling passed me, the leader looking **** off....i think a few too many were slowing progress, oh dear!!. At least the sun was shining.

Started ascent and was soon on the ridge to Munro no.3 Glas Bheinn Mhor.

P1060466.JPG

Summit of Glas Bheinn Mhor looking back to Starav. No sign of the Inverness duo, surely they must be starving!!.

P1060469.JPG

I'm hungry again so take a short break and refuel. I notice below me the Inverness duo heading towards the bealach....do these guys run on super unleaded!!

10mins later and i'm heading to the bealach on route to munro no.4 Stob Coir'an Albannaich, i'm feeling energetic after a huge swig of irn bru :D .

I find the Inverness duo finally sitting on their backsides and consuming food, well i think its food :? !!. Graeme is not 100%, he had flu last week....i'm guessing if he hadn't they wouldn't be sitting having food!!.

I lead the way and head for Stob Coir'an Albannaich, ascent is steep and the gruelling pace and heat is taken its toll....however i'm soon at the summit, Graeme and Ross minutes behind me.

Stob Coir'an Albannaich, looking towards munro no.5 Meall nan Eun.

P1060471.JPG

The inverness duo head off with me in tow. Descent is steep to the bealach below.

Watering hole for the Cyborgs!!

P1060482.JPG

The ascent to Meall nan Eun is across grassy slopes. The sun is strong, winds non existent....i'm thinking of going topless!!. The last push to the summit is tough going, the cyborgs are ahead of me and i manage to hang on to thier tails. Soon it's handshakes all round as we summit munro no.5 Meall nan Eun. Ross checks his GPS to confirm summit as we seemed to reach it quickly, i thought these cyborgs would have some built in GPS!!. We are indeed at the summit :D . In my euphoria i forgot to take a photo, damn!!.

Soon we're heading down the steep grassy wet slopes and following the burn. Graeme quotes that
you can really eat up the ground in this terrain!!
...yeah right!!.

P1060486.JPG

The path next to the burn becomes more prominent and easy to walk on, the finish is in site.

Looking back to Meall nan Eun

P1060488.JPG

Graeme on the bridge over the Allt Ceitlein.

P1060492.JPG

From the bridge its 1k to the finish.

This was a fantastic walk, albeit tough at times....a reasonable level of fitness is required. It was great meeting Graeme and Ross, i gained some valuable tips from these guys....fantastic humans/machines who have such enthusiasm for the hills.

It was now 5pm, the walk had taken 9hrs....a great time indeed. I was looking forward to driving in the last 2hrs of daylight, and catching the views of Glen Etive.

Glen Etive, stunning.

P1060495.JPG

Oh and if your wondering if Graeme and Ross are a halucinatory vision in my imagination then i present you with a final photo of the Inverness Cyborg Duo........

P1000711.jpg

:D .
Last edited by dooterbang on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Beinn Starav 5.

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Fandabidozie report Dooter! Loved the pictures. Sounds like you all had a brilliant time in the hills.

Ahem,,, cyborgs might short circuit when drinking from streams, hope they were careful... :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Fandabidozie report Dooter! Loved the pictures. Sounds like you all had a brilliant time in the hills.

Ahem,,, cyborgs might short circuit when drinking from streams, hope they were careful... :)

Thanks merry walker, :) . We most certainly had a tremendous time, i'm feeling the pain today though!!.

Those are the latest models of cyborg, short circuiting and overheating are a thing of the past....i only think they drank water to blend in with us humans!!.

Oh, well done on your first 2 Munros....i hope you continue to do more, :) .

Paul.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm

Nice report Dooterbang. Thats a tough walk but you got good weather for it. I hope to do this route soon. :D
monty

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:02 pm

dooterbang wrote:
i'm feeling the pain today though!!.

at least you know you're not a cyborg :lol:

dooterbang wrote:Oh, well done on your first 2 Munros....i hope you continue to do more, :) .

i did 3 others, hopefully more before the year is finished
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:05 pm

your job sounds interesting, are you a RMN?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Alan S » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:52 pm

A fine report there dooterbang 8) i had looked at this route and wondered if it was possible maybe another one to stick in the diary for next year :lol:
Nices pics :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:32 pm

That's a lot of ascent for one day :shock: - you must be in some good shape. I prefer a slightly more sedate pace myself and that refers to your taste in music as well :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:59 pm

alan s wrote:A fine report there dooterbang 8) i had looked at this route and wondered if it was possible maybe another one to stick in the diary for next year :lol:
Nices pics :D

I would defo wait till you had clear views, unless your fab at navigating. Would be easy to get confused on this route as has the odd tricky steep terrain when descending.

Fantastic walk though. I was lucky with the weather, :thumbup: .
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:That's a lot of ascent for one day :shock: - you must be in some good shape. I prefer a slightly more sedate pace myself and that refers to your taste in music as well :lol: .

I love ascent, :D . Theres folk in better shape than me, have you met those blokes from Inverness!!.

Nice report on the Cluanie 3. I'm heading up there in weekend 23rd to do these, but i'll be adding A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire to do the 5 in a day....8-9hrs i hope.

This will take me to 98, Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Gabhar will take me to the 100 soon after.

What do you have planned for your 100th?

Paul.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 pm

dooterbang wrote:
Nice report on the Cluanie 3. I'm heading up there in weekend 23rd to do these, but i'll be adding A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire to do the 5 in a day....8-9hrs i hope.

This will take me to 98, Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Gabhar will take me to the 100 soon after.

What do you have planned for your 100th?

Paul.

No problem to add A' Chralaig I'm sure and considered it myself but the thought of MF-c as well seemed too much :lol: .

No plans for the big C. Would quite like it to be on the WH meet in 2 weeks time (ideally on the Aonach Eagach) but that will depend on the weather this weekend and next. Yourself?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby monty » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Dooterbang.
I done the Cluanie 5 munros last month with danrun. Looking at your time for this round you should be able to complete in 7 to 8 hours if the weather is good. :D

Check out http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6831
monty

Postby dooterbang » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 am

monty wrote:Hi Dooterbang.
I done the Cluanie 5 munros last month with danrun. Looking at your time for this round you should be able to complete in 7 to 8 hours if the weather is good. :D

Check out http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6831

Nice one Monty, thanks very much.

Nice report, some great photos.

The views to Loch Duich are awesome, witnessed them when doing the 5 sisters in April.

Great time. I probably could do the time you say but the likelyhood is i will be with a group of 10 people, i project 8-10hrs.

Il let you know how i get on.

Cheers :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Excellent effort considering the lack of sleep and music for the nation.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Billy Sands » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Man, if you think they were cyborgs, they must have been nails.
Billy Sands

Munros:282   Corbetts:49
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland