walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CARROCK FELL & HIGH PIKE - NORTHERN FELLS

CARROCK FELL & HIGH PIKE - NORTHERN FELLS

Postby susanmyatt » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike (Northern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike

Date walked: 11/10/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 573m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A clear crisp morning and a drive through Mungrisdale and Mosedale to park at a place aptly named as "Apronful of Stones", there is ample parking all along this area.

carrock.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The face of Carrock Fell is quite steer from this side, so its upwards more or less from the car. Our route is right to left heading for the tree on the skyline.
IMG_6705.jpg
Start of Carrock Fell
Height is soon gained and a last look to the road before we go into The Trough
IMG_6709.jpg
View back to the road
Once in The Trough it is quite steep.
IMG_6717.jpg
Trough upwards
IMG_6718.jpg
Downwards to road
It levels a little but gets very rocky towards the summit
IMG_6725.jpg
Getting rocky
We eventually reach the summit at 660m, for a fantastic 360 panorama
IMG_6732.jpg
Blencathra to the left, Skiddaw to the right
IMG_6751.jpg
Bowscale,Bannerdale to Blencthra
IMG_6752.jpg
Mosedale valley with Skiddaw Lesser Man and the ridge
From the top we could see our way ahead and pick out the two Birketts on the way, the distinctive Round Knott (603m) and Milton Hill (607m), also it looked a bit damp in places
IMG_6756.jpg
High Pike and old mine workings
IMG_6757.jpg
Last look at inversion over Eastern Fells
It was two miles from Carrock Fell to High Pike but after a bit of boggy ground it was good walking as we crossed the Red Gate track to Caldbeck,and made our way to the summit.
IMG_6775.jpg
High Pike at 658m,Carrock Fell behind
IMG_6783.jpg
Top of the pillar, why the Kiwi ?
In Wainwrights day it was a steel bench but we now have a, I presume,local slate bench
IMG_6785.jpg
We can deliver one madam for Xmas
From here it was good walking down Carrock Beck through the oldmine workings
IMG_6788.jpg
In the workings,up to Carrock Fell
IMG_6791.jpg
Looking back at the scarred landscape
We continued down alongside the Beck before meeting the road at a delightful ford over the carriageway, miniature waterfalls above and below.
IMG_6795.jpg
Ford at Carrock Beck
Now it was just the walk along the road, it is now when we think, it would have been better to leave the car at this end and done the road bit first :lol: A lovely, quite hot day, sunburnt bonce for hubby :D
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Re: CARROCK FELL & HIGH PIKE - NORTHERN FELLS

Postby malky_c » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:37 pm

Good to see that people are getting some nice inversions outside of Scotland :D

Always liked the look of Carrock Fell - sits nicely on the edge of the Lakes, a bit removed from the rest. Might get there one day yet.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:34 am

That route up Carrock Fell is one I've been eyeing for ages but still haven't done! And that lovely spot by the ford is where everyone camps - a lovely place to sleep! :D
mountain coward

Postby tango » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

I was up Carrock fell & others last month & the weather was nasty :shock: my first summit was Bowscale fell & the wind was that strong i couldnt stand up i had to crawl to the shelter stones!! just goes to show good old British weather!! never a dull moment with it,lovely photos too :D thank you.
tango

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland