walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1st report

1st report

Postby davetherave » Mon May 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 18/05/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Starting from Dalmunzie Hotel car park

Nice bright day, with reasonable visibility, looks like it should be a good day for our 1st outing in nearly 6 weeks.
We head from the Hotel and head for Glenlochsie fm, on passing the farm we decide to stick to the faint path running on the north east bank of the burn just below the auld railway line. Ideally we would rather have been on the opposite side but the burn was running to high so we decide to meet the main track further up towards the ruined lodge.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009.JPG

Not much of a path at the burn edge, it seems to disappear mostly resulting in us wading through the heather, already wet by this stage, and being to lazy to stop and put our gaiters on we decide to make our way to the auld lodge, wind and drizzle has now picked up a bit, We are now in need of a hot drink…shelter…and a short break, cant wait.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (15).JPG

The 1st 20/30 min walk after the ruin was ok, but now im struggling big time, I thought I was over my chest infection, looks like I got it wrong.

1st sight of Glas Tulaichean, with its peak covered in mist looks like visibility will be poor after all. The wind picks up and a flurry of snow comes, Im now struggling and have to stop and rest on my walking poles several times, the wife has to stop to let me catch up (the shame), then she proceeds to say we can turn back, we don’t have to do the two munros “ aye that will be right” I said.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (14).JPG

With the summit now close, and my chest easing im now feeling much better. Shame about the views though the views over the corrie is non-existent.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (9).JPG

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (10).JPG

Well number one in the bag we decide to skim round the corrie and pick up the stalkers path down below, and head in the general direction of Carn An Righ, another 90 minutes or so and we are on the summit, we meet another chap on his way down, he was on a different route than ourselves. He started from the Gleann Thaitneich and then on to Beinn Lutharn Mhor, Carn An Righ and was heading over to tuliachean when we met him.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (8).JPG

Happy with our efforts we head back to the stalkers path and make our way to Loch Nan Eun, views much better here as the mist had lifted by then. We skim the edge of the Loch and make our way in to the glean where we catch our first sight of the corries that we missed on the summit of Tulichean.

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (1).JPG

glas tulachean and carn an righ 9th may 2009 (19).JPG

After along day, the final stretch down the gleann is a tough hard slog 7/8 k or there abouts. Even then we find we have come to far and have ended up directly opposite Dalmunzie Hotel, so rather than head back and add more time on to our journey we decide to get our feet wet and cross the burn that has now turned in to a river. Cold wet and very tired we reach the car.

What a good day it has been we had the four seasons crammed into one day, but im now just happy to have reached the car after the mammoth 9hr 15 walk.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: 1st report

Postby Paul Webster » Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Sounds a proper day out and a cracking first report there Dave
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 am

Great first report Dave
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Alan S » Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 pm

good 1st report dave

thats more like the views im used to,loads of grey clag with all season weather :D
9 hrs is a long walk a bet the wee dog was knackered

regards alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby druidsam » Tue May 19, 2009 2:34 pm

nice one dave,good first report

...................Sam
druidsam

Munros:87   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Great dog! :)
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby kevsbald » Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Well done that man.
The dug looked like it enjoyed itself - any sheep in the cottage ruins? There were a few ewes in there last year.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby davetherave » Tue May 19, 2009 5:29 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done that man.
The dug looked like it enjoyed itself - any sheep in the cottage ruins? There were a few ewes in there last year.

luckily no, there were no sheep in the old ruin. If there had been i think we would still be trying to catch wilson the beardie.
He is still quite young yet, 18 months ish, and he does still like to chase, but he is getting better. Cant wait for the day when we can relax when he is off the lead. ( one day soon me hopes )
My wife says you dont get daft Bearded Collies, well im not sure about our one. Ha Ha
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue May 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Enjoyed that report - especialy the picture of the dog with his neck tie on :lol: :lol:

looking forwards to others, especialy if they are as good as your first :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland